1. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 16:46
    I have created a thread in the "Help" forum which someone has suggested should be made "sticky". If left open for us to contribute to but also made editable (by a mod) to remove any unsuitable posts it could be come a very handy resource for newbies.

Thread 52793
  2. Standard memberIM4Y2NV
    Dadohalic
    Finger tip talking.
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 16:49
    Originally posted by MCA
    I have created a thread in the "Help" forum which someone has suggested should be made "sticky". If left open for us to contribute to but also made editable (by a mod) to remove any unsuitable posts it could be come a very handy resource for newbies.

Thread 52793
    Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rec'ed.
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 19:16
    Originally posted by MCA

Thread 52793
    But the thread starter , in this case, should be allowed to do the editing to save the mods the extra work [in case that is an objection]
  4. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 19:38
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    But the thread starter , in this case, should be allowed to do the editing to save the mods the extra work [in case that is an objection]
    As the thread starter I would be more than happy to take the responsibility for it, if this was preferable (and even possible).
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 11:51
    Originally posted by MCA

Thread 52793
    Its a good idea, and nice initiative, but this thread might give you an idea how successful it would be.
    Thread 32469

D
  6. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 14:12
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Its a good idea, and nice initiative, but this thread might give you an idea how successful it would be.
    Thread 32469

D
    dont worry it looks like this one might actually end up quite usefull,

i have been in contact with phlabibit and we are working out something to stop this from becoming corrupted.

watch this space 😀
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 17:32
    Originally posted by MCA
    dont worry it looks like this one might actually end up quite usefull,

i have been in contact with phlabibit and we are working out something to stop this from becoming corrupted.

watch this space 😀
    I was referring to the second post in the thread.

D
  8. The sky
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 19:17
    I was referring to the second post in the thread.

D
    It may still be helpful for some people. You'll always get those who don't read the information even if it's right in front of them, but that doesn't mean the information is useless.

What I'd really like to see is an updated FAQ. I don't know about others, but for me that would be the first place to look for information when I am new to the site. The FAQ at RHP is quite insufficient, especially when it comes to forum functionality.
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 22:374 edits
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    It may still be helpful for some people. You'll always get those who don't read the information even if it's right in front of them, but that doesn't mean the information is useless.

What I'd really like to see is an updated FAQ. I don't know about others, but for me that would be the first place to look for information when I am new to the site. The FAQ at RHP is quite insufficient, especially when it comes to forum functionality.
    I never said the information is useless. The information is fantastic, I just think that MCA's energy is focused on the wrong project.

I think its great what MCA is attempting, and its even better as a non-sub, as it shows that non-subs can contribute excellent things to the site apart from just cash, which may not be available.

[EDIT] People who need help aren't going to spend time reading forum posts, they're just going to post their question. Helpers would still have to direct them to his thread. Why not direct them to an updated FAQ?

MCA, you could spend the time you are currently spending trying to find a way for the thread not to become destroyed with non-information (and time on possible moderation/maintenance), on collating the info from those threads into sections that could fit into the FAQ. The main reason why the FAQ isn't upto date is because of the time required to collate all the info, time which the admin don't have. If MCA could get even 5 people working on this, the FAQ could be pretty much fully upto date within a month.

Here's my contribution, as I probably won't have any time for this from tomorrow. Obviously, it may not be exactly what Russ needs, but its much easier to change/delete existing information than it is to create the info from scratch.

You need to provide a link in your redhotpawn settings to a photo on the internet.

You can either find one through google image searches (http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q=), or upload one of your own images.

"Uploading" is moving something from your computer on to the web.

The reason you can't just use a picture on your computer is because other computers would not be able to see it.

Many sites on the web allow you to upload pictures for free. Try www.imageshack.us, which has the most straightforward user interface.

Once your pictures are uploaded you should be able to copy and paste the URL, which appears underneath the picture (as "Direct link to image" on imageshack).

Once you have the location copied, go to redhotpawn, then "My Settings” (Just under the logo in the top right), then either "My Forum Settings" for your forum avatar or "My Profile Settings” for your profile picture.

Then paste the image URL into either the "Avatar URL" or "Profile Photo" boxes and Click update.

I've copied in the link and clicked update, but the image still isn't showing up?
    Double check the link you pasted in the settings page. Recopy the link location carefully, and click update again.

D
  10. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 23:24
    I never said the information is useless. The information is fantastic, I just think that MCA's energy is focused on the wrong project.

I think its great what MCA is attempting, and its even better as a non-sub, as it shows that non-subs can contribute excellent things to the site apart from just cash, which may not be available.

[EDIT] People who ...[text shortened]... location carefully, and click update again.

D
    I'm willing to go with this if this is prefered by the boss.

It might be worth you talking with Phlabibit about this also as he has apparently been talking to Russ about it too (he has been PM'ing me).

There are currently two ideas floating here but if you three agree on a course of action then I'll do what I can to contribute. like you say, contributions to the site can come in many forms.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree