1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 19:19
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

[b]...the vacation system is merely a immunity system during vacation. No one can be timed out when his vacation flag is up. However, he can play his game as usual during his vacation.

That's exactly right; why then is this a bad system? If their timebank is still depleting, how is it subject to abuse? If ...[text shortened]... nts. Not to mention the fact that Russ has explicitly stated that he won't change it back.[/b]
    Some says it can't be abused. But look at the Tournament 2119 "June 2007 Hardcore Grand I":

If I enter the tournament and the tournament have run a while I set my vacation flag and get the immunity. My opponents not having the flag set is in a inferior position, because they have to hurry to not nibbling at their time bank. Me, on the other hand, have all my time in the world, or at least 36 days of vacation, to finish my games. The probability for me to win the tournament is higher than my opponents who are not misusing the vacation system.

Now, it is fair that all players have the same right to misuse the vacation system, but I think that is is a flaw of the Vacations Sytem to permit such a behaviour.

But - and this is important - I'm not totally against the current vacation system. It is okay if people respect eachother and not use the flaw to win games. Are people doing this? Yes, it seems so, if one read the forums.

What I have been doing is to propose another system based on the concept of Sealed Moves. And this is my right to do so, and I continually defend my right to do so too.

So, all in all, I will still be a happy member of RedHotPawn, with the current vacation System, with it's flaws (or lack of flaws) and go on playingn not neccesarly use the vacation system myself.

I'm glad you mention that you are not picking on me, because this is my feeling that other people do.
  2. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 19:28
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    I voted for the Vacation / Immunity from Time-out System and I still support it. It seems that the people who are complaining are the same people who were against it in the first place.

The vote is still open, so anyone who has voted can change their vote. A few months ago the 'yes' vote was around 1400, but that's now grown to 1538. The 'no' vote is ...[text shortened]... ame as before. So maybe some who were against the vacation system are now in favour of it?
    For the record, I voted for it originally. 😞

I still like the idea of vacation time, but I think the Gatecrasher's timebank idea is VASTLY superior as it requires you to "earn" your vacation time by playing quickly before the vacation, and also gives you the option of rebuilding your timebank with quick playing after the vacation.

I changed my vote this morning when I noticed that the vote was still open.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 19:29
    I voted for the Vacation / Immunity from Time-out System and I still support it. It seems that the people who are complaining are the same people who were against it in the first place.

The vote is still open, so anyone who has voted can change their vote. A few months ago the 'yes' vote was around 1400, but that's now grown to 1538. The 'no' vote is ...[text shortened]... hanged their minds. But it will be interesting to see what others think.
    With so many users voting, yes it probably is true that there are just a few vocal users upset to see people move in other games, but not their game. It really gets laughable when a user complains the vacation slows games down, but come up with a 'solution' that would slow all games to a crawl just because they feel people are moving in other games, but not THEIR game.

21 days would have been more than enough, I feel... as long as you mix in a good time-control and bank 'just in case'.

When it's all said and done, we each only get 36 days a year off. This number dwindles every day... and if there are people who really are 'abusing' this system, they will be the first to run out of time. I don't see what is to complain about, since eventually the extra time will be gone and users like that will need to wait another year to get their V-Time back.

P-
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 19:36
    Some says it can't be abused. But look at the Tournament 2119 "June 2007 Hardcore Grand I":

If I enter the tournament and the tournament have run a while I set my vacation flag and get the immunity. My opponents not having the flag set is in a inferior position, because they have to hurry to not nibbling at their time bank. Me, on the other hand, have ...[text shortened]... u mention that you are not picking on me, because this is my feeling that other people do.
    Not agreeing isn't 'picking' on you. Not agreeing isn't telling you not to have ideas, or state your ideas.

Some people don't like your idea of forcing people to make all their moves before they can take vacation, as sometimes people need to leave at the drop of a hat.

People have just as much right to not agree with you as you have the right to stand by your ideas.

P-
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 19:411 edit
    This Vacation thingy doesn't really apply to me or other non-subscribers but I wonder how many people it puts off from subscribing - I know I personally wouldn't subscribe with the current system in place.
    I'm very thankful and relieved that non-subs cannot use it.
    I would still like to play against subscribers but oh well nevermind.....
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 19:561 edit
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I wonder how many people it puts off from subscribing - I know I personally wouldn't subscribe with the current system in place.
    LOL.

What stopped you from subscribing in the 2 years BEFORE the new vacation system?

D
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 19:59
    I'm glad you mention that you are not picking on me, because this is my feeling that other people do.
    Puhhlease!

On a number of occasions you proposed a "flawless" vacation system. When presented with a number of serious flaws, you start saying that people are picking on you?

Its very disappointing, considering you were thanking people earlier for holding discussion about your proposal. I didn't realise you were only thanking those who spoke positively for your idea.

D
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 20:43
    It seems that the people who are complaining are the same people who were against it in the first place.

The only players who are disappointed to see their opponents moving are those who are hoping for a cheap time-out victory. The same kind of players who used to boast in their profiles that they would claim time-outs in any circumstances and never h ...[text shortened]... tion flags. But now that the vacation system actually prevents time-outs, they are mad as hell.
    Great post.

Fabian's profile:"I never remind, I always take skulls. "

Adramforall: "I always ignored the flag previously as its use was abused so much. Now I don't have that option"

So, it seems that David is right.

D
  9. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 21:30
    I have a solution.

We get rid of Chess and all take a permanent vacation.

All problems solved.

No need to thank me.

Anyone pointing out flaws in this logic will be insulted by reply.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 21:31
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Fabian's profile:"I never remind, I always take skulls. "
    Please, can we stay on topic, can we?
    Taking skulls is not on topic.

If you want to discuss this, please open a new thread.

I have all respect for David Tebb.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 21:50
    Please, can we stay on topic, can we?
    Taking skulls is not on topic.

If you want to discuss this, please open a new thread.

I have all respect for David Tebb.
    That is on topic. David gave a description of complainers and it fits you perfect based on your profile.

P-
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 22:281 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    LOL.

What stopped you from subscribing in the 2 years BEFORE the new vacation system?

D
    Read what I said;
    I didn't say that it had put me off from subscribing in the past, I said it would NOW. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Or was that a joke?

I have my own PRIVATE reasons for why I haven't in the past - I don't have to justify my reasons to you .....
  13. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 23:03

If I enter the tournament and the tournament have run a while I set my vacation flag and get the immunity. My opponents not having the flag set is in a inferior position, because they have to hurry to not nibbling at their time bank. Me, on the other hand, have ...[text shortened]... u mention that you are not picking on me, because this is my feeling that other people do.
    I consider that tournament an exception since it doesn't have any timebank, but I see your point; your argument makes sense.

As for tourneys with time banks, I think players are not as affected because they will always have a constant amount of time to move per turn. And again, if some players need time to think, stop, etc., that is in their rights as a subscriber.
  14. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 23:06
    Just for the record, I'm the one who talked about picking on FabianFnas. I was just trying to say that I was posting in disagreement with all who dislike the vacation system, not just him.
  15. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 23:08
    A lot of people seem to be getting upset because their opponents are moving whilst on ‘vacation’ and regard this as abusing the Vacation System.... But why should this be a problem? Most players are pleased to see their opponents make a move....The only players who are disappointed to see their opponents moving are those who are hoping for a cheap time-out victory.
    Well said.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree