Revolutionary Idea for Non subcriber tournament...

Revolutionary Idea for Non subcriber tournament...

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TS

Moves
13 Oct 06

Hi all,

from what i see there´s lots of post where non subcribers like me complain there should be free tournaments, and those kind of post are obviously flamed, cause people who actually pay dont agree with that view. of course i would like that, but i'd like lots of free things too but i know that's just not possible and i agree its not fair.

So here's my idea, i understand its not that straight foward to implement, but with a lil work,i think it would benefit the site, and bring more users to it.. and more money!!

So the ideas was buying tournaments entries... each non subcriber user would have the possibility to buy "Tournament Entrys" lets even say its a currency for the site, this would be made with Credit Card or PayPall! i think it would be enough a Tournament Entry to cost 1$, 1$50 tops, cause the cost of the games on server would be compensated..if 100 non subcribers entered a tournament it would be 100$ 150$ FOR TOURNAMENT!!

This way. site gets more money and a user that doesnt "need" to have 100 games.. or 4 or 5 tournaments and clan leagues.. or be in a clan.. could get a bit more for a bit more! It wouldnt be free at all, but i think for a student, or a guy in a poor country would have the chance to be in a tourney like once a year or so...

I really hope u guys like the idea, im not asking to get something free.. .i think its a fair idea..

what do u think?

Moves
13 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Tiago Silva
Hi all,

from what i see there´s lots of post where non subcribers like me complain there should be free tournaments, and those kind of post are obviously flamed, cause people who actually pay dont agree with that view. of course i would like that, but i'd like lots of free things too but i know that's just not possible and i agree its not fair.

So dea, im not asking to get something free.. .i think its a fair idea..

what do u think?
That's an interesting idea. But I don't think it would be viable collecting just $1 or $1.50 from someone. So to make the idea work, they would have to pay to enter a minimum of something like 5 tournaments.

Currently there is a monthly subscription of $5.95. That's probably the minimum amount that is worthwhile for the site admin to bother with. A player who wishes to join just to play in a few tournaments can take out a monthly subscription, enter as many tournaments as he likes and then cancel the subscription.

So perhaps it would be better if there was an option to make a one-off payment of $5 or $6 which allowed someone to enter 5 or 6 tournaments which started over the next month. There wouldnt be any particular advantage over being a subscriber, but it would save the hassle of cancelling the subscription.

F

Moves
13 Oct 06

Hi all,

So ...[text shortened]... dea, im not asking to get something free.. .i think its a fair idea..

what do u think?
What kind of tournament, à $1 a piece, are we talking about? 15-member groups or just a 2-players Duel? Big difference.
Or do we talk about a fee, like 50 cents, for each game in a tournament?

Think of this problem: You pay for an entrance of one tournament. When the Tourney has started you see that a bunch of 2000-ers has entered in your group. You have no chance at all to win even one game. How fun is this?
Do you want your money back? There are no guaranties that everything is fair.

Your idea is not bad, but I think it will bring certain problems along.

Another idea is to have a “Subscription Light” version of RHP with limited access, like 20 games tops, and permission to enter tournaments if the number of simultaneous games don’t exceed theese 20 games. No clan games, no sieges,

TS

Moves
13 Oct 06
3 edits

David Tebb has point there.. maybe there's a problem in payin just 1$ or 1$50 at one time.. but like u said, if there was a MININUM charge, like 6$

and maybe depending on the tourney the entry fee would be diferent...

as for the "problem" of getting a hard group.. or having a hard tournament.. i dont think that is a real problem... if everyone only entered tournaments they could win.. nobody would.. that's just how the game is..

i considered paying for a monthly sub to enter tournaments.. but i dont like the fact that to be able to get the most of it.. i'd hav to get in like 5 tournaments at the same time...i'd have too much games at the same time...

my idea was a bit like.. cellphones work in most countries.. u have a credit.. when ur credits are over u have to charge it.. but there's a minimum charge available.. u cant just charge 1$... but u can make calls whenever u want.. u dont pay for one day.. and in that day u call everybody on ur concact list...

C

Moves
13 Oct 06

Originally posted by David Tebb
So perhaps it would be better if there was an option to make a one-off payment of $5 or $6 which allowed someone to enter 5 or 6 tournaments which started over the next month. There wouldnt be any particular advantage over being a subscriber, but it would save the hassle of cancelling the subscription.
I think this is a good idea.

I would like to enter a few touneys but I haven't subscribed because I don't like the idea of using my credit card to buy a recurring subscription where I have to ask someone else to cancel it for me. I don't like that loss of control.

A yearly one-off payment where the onus is on the subscriber to re-subscribe, the same as you would with a magazine subscription for instance, might also be viable. That way you would have more flexibility over which tournamants to enter but still retain total control over your money.

Pro-Complainer

California

Moves
13 Oct 06

This is a rediculous idea. People would use engines if cash prizes were offered for tournaments. Why don't people just subscribe? If you can't come up with $30 in one year then you have larger problems to worry about than not being able to get into online chess tournaments.

Moves
13 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by ItalyBoyBlue
This is a rediculous idea. People would use engines if cash prizes were offered for tournaments. Why don't people just subscribe? If you can't come up with $30 in one year then you have larger problems to worry about than not being able to get into online chess tournaments.
Who said anything about prizes? As I understand it, all the money collected from the tournament entrants would go to the site owners to spend on improving the site. It would just be a way to let people play in tournaments without having to take out a subscription.

By the way, I'm as much against cash prizes as you are. In fact I don't like it when prizes such as DVD's or tee-shirts are given out, because it does encourage some players to cheat.

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
13 Oct 06

Hi all,

So ...[text shortened]... dea, im not asking to get something free.. .i think its a fair idea..

what do u think?
No

TS

Moves
13 Oct 06

Who said anything about prizes? As I understand it, all the money collected from the tournament entrants would go to the site owners to spend on improving the site. It would just be a way to let people play in tournaments without having to take out a subscription.

By the way, I'm as much against cash prizes as you are. In fact I don't like it when priz ...[text shortened]... s such as DVD's or tee-shirts are given out, because it does encourage some players to cheat.
You probably miss read it...cause my idea had nothing to do with that... ALL the money would be for RUSS. NO PRIZES, i also think that encourages cheating

TS

Moves
13 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by PocketKings
No
no? that's constructive....🙄
any reason? u know rigids ideas are a bad thing... and the idea here.. is find a way that we could please both the site.. by imcreasing income, or profit, and still make lots of people happier, so when other person gives his point of view the idea can get better.

M
Marshall McKnights

Florida

Moves
13 Oct 06

Personally why not let them just play one tourney per 6 months or even a year, personally i feel it like any other business, you cant sell something without giving a sample out to people, maybe even allowing one tourney per year could even work, or maybe allow them to enter so many tourneys then they are cut off unless they resubscribe

But the last one would only cause duplicate accounts, menaing once someone enters the 5 tourneys they forget that account and make another one, this will also go for the 6mth 1yr setting but then that would require more accounts to be made,

but overall i believe you have to give a little to get a little,

Sais

Berks.

Moves
13 Oct 06

By the way, I'm as much against cash prizes as you are. In fact I don't like it when priz ...[text shortened]... s such as DVD's or tee-shirts are given out, because it does encourage some players to cheat.
There have been plenty of players who've cheated here, even without the chance to win a small prize.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
13 Oct 06
1 edit

If you buy a one-month subscription, can you join tournaments? How many? What happens if you cancel after a month - do you forfeit all your tournaments?

If you're allowed to continue playing your tourneys after expiring, then there's not much need for a pay-per-tourney system.

TS

Moves
13 Oct 06

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
If you buy a one-month subscription, can you join tournaments? How many? What happens if you cancel after a month - do you forfeit all your tournaments?

If you're allowed to continue playing your tourneys after expiring, then there's not much need for a pay-per-tourney system.
there is the need.. cause id prefer to pay 10$ to play 5 tourneys spaced in time.. than 6$ for a month to play 5 or more tourneys.. cause u'd get lots of simutaneous games!

like i said.. when u buy credit for ur cell phone.. u dont buy a week of credit and u call everybody on that week.. NO u call when u want, when u need!

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
14 Oct 06

there is the need.. cause id prefer to pay 10$ to play 5 tourneys spaced in time.. than 6$ for a month to play 5 or more tourneys.. cause u'd get lots of simutaneous games!

like i said.. when u buy credit for ur cell phone.. u dont buy a week of credit and u call everybody on that week.. NO u call when u want, when u need!
CC tournaments are slow. By the time you're done with 5, you're over a year easily. Good luck convincing the site admins to give you a year's membership without paying for a year's membership.