1. Joined
    06 Aug '03
    Moves
    20 Feb '05 16:571 edit
    Hi everyone, for the past few months I've been learning to program in Java. When I first started I set my self the project of developing a chess utility, that would be a database of chess games and would interact with RHP. The client will autimatically connect to the site, download all the games you've ever played (obviously this would only happen the first time!) and your games in progress. You'd then be able to use the client to search your games for similar board positions and make moves that would then be relayed back to RHP. You'd also be able to import any external games you like.

Well the time is near. I have nearly completed the first stage of this project, that is the database section. In the next few weeks I'd like to release a beta of this element. It will allow you to create a database from PGN files which will be searchable on board position and some other criteria (Win, lose draw, player names etc...).

Before that however I'd like to pick the brains of you the community. As of the moment my software does not have a name! My favourite so far is "RedHotMate" (I have permission from Russ to work from the site name). However I'd apprciate any feedback on this and any other name suggestions.

The development time on this is a bit erratic as it's just a project I do in my spare time, so don't be expecting a fully blown client to come out anytime too soon. However if any ones interested in testing out this software for me then I am hoping to get this intial release out within 2 weeks. From any one who uses it I would be interested in getting feed back on the software, both in terms of bugs and feature enhancements and general advice on how I can improve the GUI.

To be involved you need to have at least Java runtime enviroment version 1.4.2_03 installed on computer. Having said that a) I'd recommend that you (and everyone frankly!) has the latest version of the JRE (that is 1.5 or 5.0 in their new naming convention) and b) if a lot of people either don't have access or are un-willing to upgrade to the latest versions I could compile in an earlier version. Thats something that will come out of the tesiting! It does look better in 1.5 though as it takes advantage of the new ocean theme Sun have produced...

Any way, names suggestions now would be welcome, and any one who's interested in testing the program can register an interest now. For any one who wants to read a rather erratic history of my development the see the developers forum thread called "Data organisation at RHP.

Simonm
    MooseSoft (my company name i've just invented!)

p.s I'm posting this here because only a small hardcore read the developerrs forum but I don't want to expose this to the masses in the general forum quite yet, Site idea's is a happy compromise!
  2. Standard memberCeeWinM
    Grumpy Penguin
    Great White North
    Moves
    20 Feb '05 18:01
    Xfcc style client?
  3. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    20 Feb '05 19:16
    Simons's super RHP chess software and database client.
    no 🙂 RedHotMate is very good!
    some time ago there was a discussion about a 3rd party software site and it's name. perhaps you can get good ideas from there?
    th
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Feb '05 21:37
    I will be adding a new page shortly to link to these projects.

-Russ
  5. Montréal
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 01:43
    Originally posted by Simonm
    You'd then be able to use the client to search your games for similar board positions and make moves that would then be relayed back to RHP.
    Is that kosher? Aren't there rules against having assistance from chess programs while playing a game?
  6. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    21 Feb '05 10:21
    who said that his program does propose moves?
    basicly it just does what the gameanalysis does, I guess. And it lets you store games and look for similar positions (like looking in a db - your own!)
    this should be okay....
    TO know more about his piece of software check out his thread in the developper's forum
    th
  7. Joined
    11 Aug '03
    Moves
    24 Feb '05 00:36
    Erm... I'll test it. That means I get it for free, right? RedHotMate sounds pretty good to me too... I'll keep thinking on it though.
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    24 Feb '05 01:39
    Originally posted by NostalJim
    Is that kosher? Aren't there rules against having assistance from chess programs while playing a game?
    Database use is allowed using an engine isn't. The proposal is to be able to search your previous games and find if you have played that position before. If you have you can save time by looking at what you played last time.

Also I can do this very thing with chessbase. I get the site to email my games to me stick them into a database and can then search based on position or almost anything else.
  9. Joined
    06 Aug '03
    Moves
    24 Feb '05 20:44
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Database use is allowed using an engine isn't. The proposal is to be able to search your previous games and find if you have played that position before. If you have you can save time by looking at what you played last time.

Also I can do this very thing with chessbase. I get the site to email my games to me stick them into a database and can then search based on position or almost anything else.
    Yep chessbase does this, my software will be similar in function to chessbase but intergrated into the site so it can work as an online or offline client.

Ok I'm gonna go with RedHotMate as my name, will get back to you all when I've got something to show you 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree