1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Mar '13 00:24
    I've set it up on my android tablet, and it's certainly easier to read there. It's hard to keep switching between the main site and the test site, because the board sizing appears differently, but the new version is definitely better for small screens. We desktop users will adapt, it can't be perfect for us because we're landscape and the other users are portrait, but it works well at both ends. Haven't tried it on a smartphone yet, but I'm sure others have.
  2. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    03 Mar '13 02:21
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I've set it up on my android tablet, and it's certainly easier to read there. It's hard to keep switching between the main site and the test site, because the board sizing appears differently, but the new version is definitely better for small screens. We desktop users will adapt, it can't be perfect for us because we're landscape and the other users are po ...[text shortened]... works well at both ends. Haven't tried it on a smartphone yet, but I'm sure others have.
    I've found it easier to have two 'RHP browser tabs' open in chrome, I can consistently compare the old and the new site easily...even though I leave my laptop constantly connected to the net, I seem to get 'booted' from the new site quite often really, therefore keeping the old site signed in is more than just for comparison it's for convenience also... I haven't worked out how to stay signed in for beta ( when booted offline ), and the signing in each time is a minor pain...
    I find the smaller boards, in beta, are awfully 'fuzzy'...the smallest 'fen type' conditional move boards remind me of looking through my grandmothers glasses as a child, one big blur ! I manage fine with the 'large' board setting for the old but I need 'x-large' in beta...
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Mar '13 06:39
    I've got 4 beta browser tabs in Chrome; MyGames and 3 different forums, one of which gets used for other things as well. I'm trying not to look at the old site at all, but if I need to (something that doesn't work here) there's a RHP tab in Firefox. I'm not using Chrome for anything but the beta, and my game board is still set on Large, no problems there. Large is big enough for tablet, too.
  4. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 Mar '13 23:56
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    The modern mantra for seniors is "use it or lose it". Watching some of my contemporaries resolutely rejecting the entire computerised world, and become more and more confused and out-of-touch with today's realities, has made me more inclined to stray out of my own comfort zone technology-wise, even if my learning curve is steeper than the younger generation's would be ...
    O well. I still have a laser disc player, cassette player, and turntable. And they all work. So if the site becomes untenable for my desktop machine, I still have a stock of USCF postcards, and they still run postal tournaments!
    (My Decwriter no longer works as my I/O device however, the insulation of the wiring has disintegrated, and I've had to go to CRT screen and keyboard. But I still can manage with that. But Android? Smart phones make for stupid people I say. Also, the NSA has full access to your life by your using them!)
  5. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 08:021 edit
    Originally posted by DanTriola
    O well. I still have a laser disc player, cassette player, and turntable. And they all work. So if the site becomes untenable for my desktop machine, I still have a stock of USCF postcards, and they still run postal tournaments!
    (My Decwriter no longer works as my I/O device however, the insulation of the wiring has disintegrated, and I've had to go to C ...[text shortened]... s make for stupid people I say. Also, the NSA has full access to your life by your using them!)
    Yes, me too Bill, I am very much that horrible term 'old school' with regard to the 'musical element'...like yourself, and as you well know, PROPER stuff, amps \ pre amps \ turntable and my prized old Philips CD player lol...none of this crap that they call music systems that weight less combined than bag of chips !! ......welllll, they're not actually 'here' any more, they're back HOME....'soon to be here' I can say lol...
    I've no need of a smartfone in order to play here any more....thank goodness for that as they're all a mighty compromise anyway, how on earth I managed to play here on such a tiny few inch affair I'll never know...I did because I HAD to when I couldn't get a connection elsewhere 🙁 They served purpose in that regard really, when you're out and about they are a small godsend....very small indeed...
    Who's the 'NSA' when it's at home anyway ????
  6. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Mar '13 12:17
    This looks good

very excited for the xl board

will become a subscriber again once that happends

cheers!
  7. Joined
    24 May '05
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 18:24
    New look: The 'analyse board screen' shows the 'bin' large and the actual removed pieces small. Please exchange them. I have to scroll down to see the actual state of play, and find the bin distracting.
    thanks
    r
  8. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 19:40
    Originally posted by ruylopez51
    New look: The 'analyse board screen' shows the 'bin' large and the actual removed pieces small. Please exchange them. I have to scroll down to see the actual state of play, and find the bin distracting.
    thanks
    r
    I agree.
    This is the only bit about the new set up I have an issue with(up to now)
    I don't really see the point of "the bin" but if we must have it , let's see the removed pieces as well when you access the screen

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree