1. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    28 Jul '13 16:06
    Is there a way to freeze the header row on the data tables here at RHP?

Most tables have several columns of data, and as you scroll down the page the column header that describes what data is in the column goes up and off the page. That makes it difficult to remember what the numbers in each column represent once you are down the page and looking at a data page with several columns.

Locking the column header would be a major improvement in using data tables, in my opinion! Would that be seriously difficult to modify?

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this idea?
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    29 Jul '13 00:15
    I agree that it's badly needed. I keep thinking of spreadsheets, they'd be totally unusable without the ability to freeze headers in both horizontal and vertical.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    29 Jul '13 21:49
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Is there a way to freeze the header row on the data tables here at RHP?

Most tables have several columns of data, and as you scroll down the page the column header that describes what data is in the column goes up and off the page. That makes it difficult to remember what the numbers in each column represent once you are down the page and looking at a d ...[text shortened]... Would that be seriously difficult to modify?

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this idea?
    I suggested this a long time ago and got some support but obviously not enough for the admins to make the change.
    With the new site they were working on at the time I guess it was low priority.
    It will do no harm to raise it again.The my performance list is especially poor without a freeze titles option.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    29 Jul '13 22:46
    My Performance
    Big tournament tables (it's quite a job to work out the lower-ranked ones at present)

They're the two which annoy me the most.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 10:18
    I can look at it. This is not "natural" behaviour for tables on web pages, but there are a few tricks to make this work.
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 10:34
    Thanks Russ.
  7. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 09:371 edit
    Originally posted by venda
    I suggested this a long time ago and got some support but obviously not enough for the admins to make the change.
    With the new site they were working on at the time I guess it was low priority.
    It will do no harm to raise it again.The my performance list is especially poor without a freeze titles option.
    I supported it then,
    I support it now
    With vigor.
    (says guy playing 234 games.)
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 07:15
    This change is now within reach for Firefox/GreaseMonkey (and possibly Chrome/TamperMonkey) users. Simply install the RHP 2013 Scroll Tables script from
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP/
  9. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 12:50
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    This change is now within reach for Firefox/GreaseMonkey (and possibly Chrome/TamperMonkey) users. Simply install the RHP 2013 Scroll Tables script from
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP/
    Thanks SwissGambit! I'm testing it now and so far it looks and works great.
    This is a major improvement.
  10. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 14:17
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP/
    I use chrome and firefox, but what does the greasemonkey bit mean?
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 01:221 edit
    If you want to use the RHP scripts in the Firefox browser you first need to download the Greasemonkey add-on program from Mozilla. Same for the Chrome browser with the Tampermonkey program, I believe.
  12. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 10:41
    Here's a little information about greasemonkey, which is the firefox add-on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greasemonkey

The greasemonkey code is written to work with the RHP code, and once installed and tested it works fine WITH THE CURRENT VERSION of the RHP code. The greasemonkey code only makes changes to how the RHP code functions within your computer and web browser. It doesn't do anything to the RHP code that is located on the RHP server.

Whenever Russ modifies or upgrades the RHP code, there is a good chance that the greasemonkey script will also need to be upgraded to work with the new RHP code. If not upgraded, it might no longer work.

Currently SwissGambit has been going through some of the old scripts and upgrading them, and has also written new ones.

So this is my understanding of how it works, but someone else may be able to explain it better or make corrections to my explanation.

I hope this helps!
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Sep '13 13:14
    It's a Firefox add-on that allows you to run scripts that change the functionality of webpages. You can get it here.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/
  14. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 11:22
    It's a Firefox add-on that allows you to run scripts that change the functionality of webpages. You can get it here.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/
    Thank you for the info.
    Does the greasemonkey affect any other programmes?
    I suspect it does.
    I'm not the only person using the pc and I'm loth to download anything that may affect the stuff my missis does although I suppose I could always uninstall it again if necessary.
  15. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    11 Sep '13 11:34
    Thank you for the info.
    Does the greasemonkey affect any other programmes?
    I suspect it does.
    I'm not the only person using the pc and I'm loth to download anything that may affect the stuff my missis does although I suppose I could always uninstall it again if necessary.
    It only has an effect on how firefox works on websites, as far as I know. There are many scripts for greasemonkey that effect other websites, but if the only ones you install are those written for our RHP site, you will only see the difference on RHP.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree