1. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 12:36
    Playing in a 6 player tournament (all v all one group), I noticed one of the players claimed a skull from a player who hadn't moved (maybe hadn't noticed the tournament had started). Perhaps I am too competitive, but I decided to do the same to level things up. I noticed a third player then did the same.

Then it came round to the black games so the person who had moved first claimed the first skull and then each in turn as the skulls appeared.

It made me wonder if it would be better if skulls were simply automatic for time settings 1 and 0, but also only after three days if you are yet to make your first move. That would have felt better from my perspective.
  2. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 15:28
    @petewxyz

another option is to not have skulls at all. If a player oversteps the time control, he immediately forfeits the game.
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 21:27
    @ogb said
    @petewxyz

another option is to not have skulls at all. If a player oversteps the time control, he immediately forfeits the game.
    I think that would be less arbitrary. I like the idea of that, but possibly just for short time controls. I guess if you decide to play with a short time interval you should live with your decision.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 21:34
    @ogb said
    @petewxyz

I'd never win a game if that was the case, maybe only in tournaments and clan games that could work. Still, there's people who still want to win the game normally without the timeout, that's why they brought in the two day grace period.
  5. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    06 Sep '20 21:41
    @trev33 said
    I'd never win a game if that was the case, maybe only in tournaments and clan games that could work. Still, there's people who still want to win the game normally without the timeout, that's why they brought in the two day grace period.
    My problem is I get competitive so if one of the other player's taking skulls I'm going to take them too. But, that's only if we've all signed up for a fast tournament so it's a level playing field. I'm more than happy to play a slow game and I enjoy them. I've actually never taken a skull unless the time controls were 1 and 0.
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    08 Sep '20 07:25
    So suggestions are, ordered:

* enforce automatic timeout in each and every game
    * enforce automatic timeout in rated games
    * enforce automatic timeout in All competitive games (ladder, clan, Tournament)
    * enforce automatic timout in timebank only" tournaments
    * enforce automatic timeout in "fast" tournaments

I personally would go for the "competitive" Slot.
  7. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    08 Sep '20 11:02
    @ponderable said
    So suggestions are, ordered:

* enforce automatic timeout in each and every game
    * enforce automatic timeout in rated games
    * enforce automatic timeout in All competitive games (ladder, clan, Tournament)
    * enforce automatic timout in timebank only" tournaments
    * enforce automatic timeout in "fast" tournaments

I personally would go for the "competitive" Slot.
    Yes, on reflection the "competitive" option makes best sense.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Sep '20 14:18
    @ogb said
    @petewxyz

I know in over the board tournaments one has to see his opponents flag fall and call him/her on it or the game still goes on. Anyone watching is not permitted to point it out to either player.

-VR
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Sep '20 20:50
    @very-rusty said
    I know in over the board tournaments one has to see his opponents flag fall and call him/her on it or the game still goes on. Anyone watching is not permitted to point it out to either player.

-VR
    This is true. The responsibility is always on the player to claim the win.

Personally I am not in favour of any automatic win. Sometimes an opponent may have a valid reason to overstep the time control, or I might be especially enjoying the game in question and don't mind giving my opponent a little more time. - In short, I prefer to retain the choice of whether or not to claim the skull.
  10. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    10 Sep '20 21:08
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    This is true. The responsibility is always on the player to claim the win.

Personally I am not in favour of any automatic win. Sometimes an opponent may have a valid reason to overstep the time control, or I might be especially enjoying the game in question and don't mind giving my opponent a little more time. - In short, I prefer to retain the choice of whether or not to claim the skull.
    I suppose if it only applied to the 1 0 time settings you could keep the choice by not playing those settings. I think if people sign up for the fast settings and they are making a choice then it's not automatic, it's a consequence of their choice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree