1. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 12:092 edits
    I don't like the way the rec system has been systematically destroyed by immaturity. However I can understand the end result of what Russ has done. The word recommend itself means that you are advising someone to do something, in this case to read a post that is worth the read. In this way, the new system plan is very good.

However, we need something to play with, some kind of counter for total something. Not to stroke our ego's, but because they are deserved. I agree that nobody wants to go to the recommended posts page and read a witty one liner that has no relevance to anything, But if somebody says something that just completely makes me laugh out loud, then I want to give them something - not a rec, because it would go to the recs page and it shouldn't be there, but something to say, "hey, that was funny", or "I enjoyed that post."

It was always cool to me to see the number of total recs I earned rising, but that can't happen anymore and I understand why. But I think we should have a seperate system along with the rec system for that purpose. It would be fun to have something to play with just for the fun of it, and all the rec babies can rot and burn. Maybe just call it "forum points"

it could read under a post:

Reply--- Reply and Quote --- Alert Mod --- Rec ----- Forum Point
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 12:29
    Agree, but the best of merit systems will fail because of some peoples immaturity and low social skills.

I got some recs and those gave me the idea how people liked my postings and ideas. I don't think my postings was recced carelessly.
    A also liked the idea that one could rec someone anonymously. It didn't matter who recced, only that someone recced.

Now the rec system is wrecked altogether, and that's a pity.
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 13:181 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 14:22
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Is it really?

Surely the initial idea of the rec system was that users could recommend intersting, funny or useful posts to other users. This can still be done.
    But people complained about the all the funny stuff and meaningless posts in the recommended posts. This idea means we can give our respect and points without having every single post we give points to going to recommended posts, thats what a rec is for
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 14:48
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Is it really?

Surely the initial idea of the rec system was that users could recommend intersting, funny or useful posts to other users. This can still be done.
    I agree with Smaug. I don't think that it's wrecked at all. It's better than ever. Going forward, I expect that people will primarily recc posts that provide useful information and site ideas. It may take awhile, but the recommended posts link should take on a whole new flavor.

The fact that people used the recc system as a score card. That they begged recs, traded recs, bartered recs, gave them away to their friends, etc. was what destryed the system.

Now, they are no longer a way to keep score, let's not implement another scoring system to bring back all of the problems.
  6. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 14:52
    Originally posted by Red Night
    I agree with Smaug. I don't think that it's wrecked at all. It's better than ever. Going forward, I expect that people will primarily recc posts that provide useful information and site ideas. It may take awhile, but the recommended posts link should take on a whole new flavor.

The fact that people used the recc system as a score card. That they be ...[text shortened]... to keep score, let's not implement another scoring system to bring back all of the problems.
    It wouldn't be a problem, it wouldn't count for anything except for fun.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree