1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '08 08:26
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    Not to distract too much from your argument but I would like to see you or anyone keep up that pace for half a year.

Disregarding that you might want to have an outside life, I would suspect that you would burn out quite quickly.
    It took you over three months to respond to this, and you missed my point completely.

I was answering this passage:
    "However, a new recognition should be awarded for for 500.000 moves or 1.000.000 moves perhaps. A rotating black star for a million mover."

...with:
    "This star rewards... I don't know exactly... It's very easy to get over a million. Just start a lot of games in tournaments, make a lot of moves, and it is just a matter of time you reach a million. You don't have to make high quality moves, you don't have to win a lot, you don't have to move in time either, you just move more or less in random. If you make a move every 10 seconds, on average, 16 hours a day, in half a year, you have your million moves. But do you merit any respect for that? In my humble opinion, I don't know..."

If I any time in the future merit a black rotating flashing start with everything with it, I wouldnt like to show it, because the star only represent nerdiness, nothing more. Do they really have a life of their own, those who have a rotating star for a million move?
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    26 Apr '08 08:46
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    How about putting the little red trophy next to the person's star if they won a tournament? Trophies can be added the more tournaments a person won. Once a person reaches say five tournament wins, there can be the trophy icon followed by "xn" where "n"=number of tournament wins.
    I have little hope of catching either the top rated players or even the players with the most moves but have more realistic goals.

1. Tournament wins-- currently rank #1 at RHP
    2. Wins minus losses--- currently rank #2 (behind Helden)
    3. Moves per win--- every 40 moves on average I win a game

I like your idea.
  3. Subscriberouroborosonline
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    26 Apr '08 13:04
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    It took you over three months to respond to this, and you missed my point completely.

I was answering this passage:
    "However, a new recognition should be awarded for for 500.000 moves or 1.000.000 moves perhaps. A rotating black star for a million mover."

...with:
    "This star rewards... I don't know exactly... It's very easy to get over a million. ...[text shortened]... ey really have a life of their own, those who have a rotating star for a million move?
    No, I understood your point. I was just saying that I don't think that playing at that rate is sustainable. I suspect that it is harder than you expect. As I said, I wasn't trying to take away from your argument (any detracting was unintentional).

I agree that total number of moves doesn't really mean much. However, taken in context with the player's rating, I tend to respect players with many moves and high ratings. For example, players like caissad4 and Quirine amaze me. Every tournament that I enter, they are inevitably there kicking my ass. 🙂

BTW, what does it matter how long that I took to respond to this post? Would it be any less "nerdy" to have responded to it immediately? I don't spend every waking moment monitoring these forums. 😉
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '08 14:292 edits
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    No, I understood your point. I was just saying that I don't think that playing at that rate is sustainable. I suspect that it is harder than you expect. As I said, I wasn't trying to take away from your argument (any detracting was unintentional).

I agree that total number of moves doesn't really mean much. However, taken in context with the player' ponded to it immediately? I don't spend every waking moment monitoring these forums. 😉
    Perhaps I was too harsh on your posting.

But I really don't see total number of moves as a merit, having done a lot of moves, unless they are high quality ones at the same time.
    As I don't see any merit to have hundreds and hundreds of games going at the same time, unless they are at the same time high quality ones.
    To collect moves, in order to get a rotating flashing black star in a short period of time, is more like a measure of nerdiness.

I play caissa4 myself in a new tournament from today. I know my ass will be kicked. With pleasure. 😉
  5. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 05:48
    Any new work on this? Everyone will get a spinning star eventually!
  6. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 01:36
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    Any new work on this? Everyone will get a spinning star eventually!
    Spinning stars are still relatively few in number, just 112 as of now.

119 have achieved 100K plus moves but 7 have no stars as they are not subs.

Fabian said on the 16th January 2008 that there were 90 so just 22 added in last 9 months.

Still a fairly exclusive band of people 😉
  7. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 18:16
    This might be a small issue, but I can see a lot of people with red spinning stars here, especially in the future. Maybe there can be a new reward/acknowledgement of moves on this site.

Different color, green maybe when you reach 200,000 moves, or 500,000? I don't know.
    Perhaps the star should just be labeled with a giant "NO LIFE"
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 09:031 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 13:09
    to come back on topic: actually I don't like the spinning star very much. I think three levele (yellow orange red 1000, 5000, 10000 moves respectively) would be enough to give a first impression on how much a person played on the site
  10. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 02:30
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    Perhaps the star should just be labeled with a giant "NO LIFE"
    I still think this idea is perfect 😏
  11. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    21 Oct '08 13:25
    This might be a small issue, but I can see a lot of people with red spinning stars here, especially in the future. Maybe there can be a new reward/acknowledgement of moves on this site.

Different color, green maybe when you reach 200,000 moves, or 500,000? I don't know.
    Back to the original idea..

Moves and frequency of moves are rewarded by changing icons..

I think it's time for an upgrade on this.

This thread has been tainted by suggestions of rating, which goes against what I meant to start.

Any new updates Russ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree