1. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 12:32
    The forums are dominated by a small number of trolls who are not even subscribers. It seems that the moderator does not wish to continually censor their material so it gets exceedingly offensive without sanction. Even if in rare cases they are kicked off the site, they assume a new name and return within a short time without even a pretense at concealment. Why their free speech has to be protected while others are dirven away from the forum is not clear to me.

Surely as a minimum it is time to restrict forums to subscribers - people who have a stake in the site and a reason to be bothered by sanctions.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 13:431 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    The forums are dominated by a small number of trolls who are not even subscribers. It seems that the moderator does not wish to continually censor their material so it gets exceedingly offensive without sanction. Even if in rare cases they are kicked off the site, they assume a new name and return within a short time without even a pretense at concealment. ...[text shortened]... to subscribers - people who have a stake in the site and a reason to be bothered by sanctions.
    This may be true in Debates, but it isn't in the rest of the forums - so, I might support limiting only the Debates Forum to subs only.

Are the non-subs really so much more offensive than subs? Seems I have seen some subs that easily could compete with any non-sub for outrageous behavior.
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 15:48
    I honestly do not think making the forums available to "subscribers only" will stop the trolls.
    Most of the members of the site use the forums for what they are intended to be.

In my opinion, the way to effectively deal with a troll is to ignore them. Totally. They want attention.
    Being ignored is one thing they DO NOT WANT. If you respond to their bad behavior or antics,
    you have given them exactly what they are after.
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 04:27
    The forums are dominated by a small number of trolls who are not even subscribers. It seems that the moderator does not wish to continually censor their material so it gets exceedingly offensive without sanction. Even if in rare cases they are kicked off the site, they assume a new name and return within a short time without even a pretense at concealment. ...[text shortened]... to subscribers - people who have a stake in the site and a reason to be bothered by sanctions.
    The problem is not the trolls. The problem is moderation.
    I am going to complete my current games, cancel my sub and leave.
    I do not see any other solution.
  5. Here
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 05:48
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Yes that does seem to be the only answer
    The two biggest threats to my staying with this site
    1 Ratings cheats ,which as far as I have seen ,nothing is being done
    2 Threads that descend into two people throwing taunts at one an other
  6. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 15:09
    There are no moderators for the forums at all.
    After alerting several abusive posts days ago and receiving no response I sent Russ site feedback and his reply indicates that he has no knowledge of any alerts. Apparently when a post is alerted it goes somewhere unknown.
    This is not the level of service I paid for.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 23:27
    The way that the system used to work (I can't say if it still does) the alerts report was available to a group of volunteers who would remove the incidental posts and refer the trickier ones, including repeat offenders, back to the group's own private forum for group consideration. Russ would only get involved with the ones who made it into that forum. From my own observations the group of volunteers has dwindled over time, and there may not be anyone left in it.

Since this is a self-regulating process, it is time for those who want the forums to be properly moderated to raise their hands and volunteer themselves. Maybe this thread is the place to start.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '15 19:102 edits
    Maybe we start a campaign to nominate some new moderators? It's a voluntary job so who will volunteer. Last time we had this discussion was about 4 years ago and after months of carnage** it's settled down into good moderation.

**a couple of poor choices where mods felt it was their responsibility to moderate the arguments instead of dealing with an alerted post in isolation. It was horrible for a while.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '15 19:12
    Sorry kewpie, I didn't read your post before posting.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 13:34

caissad4, unfortunately and with deep regret I concur with your statement which I've Bolded above.
    After an enjoyable eight years and two months, doing so will be difficult to say the least. ~Bob
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 13:554 edits
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I honestly do not think making the forums available to "subscribers only" will stop the trolls.
    Most of the members of the site use the forums for what they are intended to be.

In my opinion, the way to effectively deal with a troll is to ignore them. Totally. They want attention.
    Being ignored is one thing they DO NOT WANT. If you respond to their bad behavior or antics,
    you have given them exactly what they are after.
    Agree with every word you've written; however, the intrusive presence of trolls on these public forums serves to interfere with and disrupt on topic conversation, discussion and debate on a daily basis. All trolls are by definition hypersensitive to their own wishes and needs yet insensitive to the wishes and needs of others. Tips: All trolls often use the vertical personal pronoun [I] [indicative of their excessive preoccupation with themselves] and the gratuitous use of the site nicknames of others in a cleverly veiled attempt to irritate them as frequently as possible]. All trolls also view negative criticism and Thumbs Down as accolades which reinforce their self perception of notoriety as popularity with their peers.

Note: Russ, I hope you'll read this thread created by "finnegan on 14 Sep '15. 07:32". Regards, Bob
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 13:44
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]I am going to complete my current games, cancel my sub and leave.

caissad4, unfortunately and with deep regret I concur with your statement which I've Bolded above.
    After an enjoyable eight years and two months, doing so will be difficult to say the least. ~Bob[/b]
    GB, you can't take a self-imposed three day break without sending a plethora of PMs.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 06:44
    Rule No. 1: don't feed the trolls.

Can someone please explain how one becomes a moderator and reveal who the current ones are?
  14. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 13:17
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Rule No. 1: don't feed the trolls.

Can someone please explain how one becomes a moderator and reveal who the current ones are?
    The only way I can think of is to ask by sending feedback. Good Luck!
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Oct '15 02:191 edit
    The only people who really know who the moderators are - those who are themselves moderators - have their identity concealed so that they are protected from retaliation. If you're accepted by Russ (via the send feedback system) into the moderation team you'll find out. Otherwise not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree