1. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    22 Apr '08 20:17
    Originally posted by gambit05
    Sure I understand your point. My point is, if you would win such a tournament, would you be proud of that? I think most people would not.
    A wins a win 😀
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 01:40
    Originally posted by Virtue76
    A wins a win 😀
    Now I am 😕. Initially you complain about higher rated players being in lower rated banded tournaments as a result of ratings drop and then you say a wins a win.

As gambit05 said a tournament win at your own rating level on your profile is OK, but a win for a tournament 400+ points lower than your level would be a bit embarassing.
  3. Here
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 09:21
    Having thought about this problem for quite a while it seems you will never satisfy everyone and "sandbagging will continue ".
    My answer to this is tournament ratings should be an average of the last 100 games played and not over a period of time.
    Also you would not be able to play in a banded tournament until you have completed 100 games
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 09:591 edit
    Originally posted by padger
    Having thought about this problem for quite a while it seems you will never satisfy everyone and "sandbagging will continue ".
    My answer to this is tournament ratings should be an average of the last 100 games played and not over a period of time.
    Also you would not be able to play in a banded tournament until you have completed 100 games
    That doesn't work, seeing as people could easily resign/TO more than 100 games at a go.

In the past I have proposed the only fully working, fair solution.
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=46202&page=2

D
  5. Here
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 11:11
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    That doesn't work, seeing as people could easily resign/TO more than 100 games at a go.

In the past I have proposed the only fully working, fair solution.
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=46202&page=2

D
    Ok so I went through the thread and I still don't see whats wrong with my idea .Most of the players have 50 or so games going at 1 time so they would have to be very clever to dump 100 games in 1 go.
    There are only a few that have lots of games going on at one time.
    In the one competition that's been mentioned in this thread ,the player involved would never have got into that competition under the rules I laid out
  6. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 11:58
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Now I am 😕. Initially you complain about higher rated players being in lower rated banded tournaments as a result of ratings drop and then you say a wins a win.

As gambit05 said a tournament win at your own rating level on your profile is OK, but a win for a tournament 400+ points lower than your level would be a bit embarassing.
    No, you are right. What Im saying is I shouldn't be allowed to enter these tournaments.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 14:39
    Originally posted by padger
    Ok so I went through the thread and I still don't see whats wrong with my idea .Most of the players have 50 or so games going at 1 time so they would have to be very clever to dump 100 games in 1 go.
    There are only a few that have lots of games going on at one time.
    In the one competition that's been mentioned in this thread ,the player involved would never have got into that competition under the rules I laid out
    If the aim is to sandbag, and somebody really wants to sandbag with your system in place, then all they have to do is join up a few tournaments, then resign 100 games, and their 100 game average could be lower than 1000.

Remember these are the same type of people who use engines to play chess for them or who spend hours setting up a second account to resign games against their main account.

But purposeful sandbagging isn't the only problem.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree