1. Standard memberMrJohn
    A Chess Friend :-)
    Texas :-)
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 20:38
    Originally posted by deeploser
    Chess is war!
    Well, not for all of us, really. :-)

For some of us, a chess *friend* is more important than a chess win! :-)

Still, I agree that we are better off, all things considered, without a "take-back" option. :-)

Thx! :-)
  2. Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 21:25
    I have a question regarding this topic: does anyone know of a site/client that DOES allow either a) preview of the opponent's moves, or b) take-back of moves, for training purposes?
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 00:00
    I think this is a fine idea - but only for unrated games.

With unrated games if you set this at the beginning you can have a training game and allow a student to take back moves etc... Plus, this would be set when the game is created.

I think this isn't a good idea for rated games though.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 00:10
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    This is just a humble suggestion that has probably been commented on before, but I think it would be nice to have a feature in games where players could agree to take back a move if both players agree. This would be especially nice for unrated, friendly games or "tutoring games," for those of us playing other players to get better. Again, just a humble suggestion.

Thanks,
    -Witty
    Sounds like someone blundered.

There is a way to take back, as long as a piece was not exchanged yet and it was not a pawn move.

If you both agree, each player puts their piece back where it was LAST move. I've done this before with a computer vs. computer unrated game with RTH.

I moved wrong, PM'd and told him the plan. He agreed. He made a non-pawn move, I moved back where I was, he moved that piece back where it started and we continued the game.

P-
  5. U.S.A.
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 03:423 edits
    Originally posted by SlavemasterT
    I have a question regarding this topic: does anyone know of a site/client that DOES allow either a) preview of the opponent's moves, or b) take-back of moves, for training purposes?
    PacMall had this feature but it's sadly no longer active chess site, anymore.

I don't think the majority of players agreed to undo when asked but it was allowed if both players did agree. In some ways I'm glad it's not allowed here in rated games that way my opponent can't ask for one and then throw a fit when i refuse. And then be mad at me for the rest of the game. Because, why would I want to help him win?? If I was playing him unrated game I'd probably allow it, though. Or if I was playing a good friend or a relative.

-- Paul

p.s. i like the suggestions for allowing undo's in unrated games and having the option that both players have to agree on it before starting a rated one. Maybe there could be a check box in the open invite sections where you click on "allow undo's in this game" and opponent would see this and only accept game if he liked undo's. It would be great as a training/ teaching aid, I'd think. 🙂
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 09:10
    Originally posted by Pavlo87
    i like the suggestions for allowing undo's in unrated games and having the option that both players have to agree on it before starting a rated one. Maybe there could be a check box in the open invite sections where you click on "allow undo's in this game" and opponent would see this and only accept game if he liked undo's. It would be great as a training/ teaching aid, I'd think. 🙂
    It would be ok in training/unrated games if they had a check box.......

..while you're at it, hows about one for the vacation shuffle too. 😉
  7. A dark cave
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 15:54
    Originally posted by Jesse Custer
    Exactly right. Correspondence chess is about having all the time in the world to make a decision. If you still make a blunder, you really earned it.
    Spot on. In a board chess game you don't get any of the luxuries you do on RHP - anaylse moves to death, days to play a move, look from your opponents perspective, final look at your move for real before you decide to submit.
    Like most, I think there's already plenty of scope for turning back.
    Maybe people who are being tutored need to learn the hard way? I know I did early on in my RHP existence. It did me a world of good.
  8. Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 23:261 edit
    Originally posted by Pavlo87
    [b]p.s. i like the suggestions for allowing undo's in unrated games and having the option that both players have to agree on it before starting a rated one. Maybe there could be a check box in the open invite sections where you click on "allow undo's in this game" and opponent would see this and only accept game if he liked undo's. It would be great as a traini ...[text shortened]
    Well, that's exactly what I'm talking about - I've got a couple of friends who either are at a beginner level or don't know how to play at all, and I'd like to be able to conduct some training games with them. It's kind of hard when you can't take things back, or you have to re-set-up the board when they make a mistake, which is why I'd like to find something newb-friendly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree