1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 05:01
    This is just a humble suggestion that has probably been commented on before, but I think it would be nice to have a feature in games where players could agree to take back a move if both players agree. This would be especially nice for unrated, friendly games or "tutoring games," for those of us playing other players to get better. Again, just a humble suggestion.

Thanks,
    -Witty
  2. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 05:04
    Then what's the point in playing chess?
  3. Subscriberbeatlemania
    Purveyor of Potatoes
    Here
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 06:07
    Anyways if I were playing you and put my queen in danger of your pawn,would you let me take it back?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 09:02
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    This is just a humble suggestion that has probably been commented on before, but I think it would be nice to have a feature in games where players could agree to take back a move if both players agree. This would be especially nice for unrated, friendly games or "tutoring games," for those of us playing other players to get better. Again, just a humble suggestion.

Thanks,
    -Witty
    It is possible today.

Give up the game, set up a position of the move before, and play it from there.
  5. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    03 Mar '07 00:11
    First of all, the situation of when you take back moves depends...typically, and obviously, you probably wouldn't want to let back on a move from a tournament or clan game, but in a friendly game (i.e. a game between buddies) it wouldn't hurt to have a take-back option. But it sounds like a relatively unpopular idea...anyway, like I said, it's just a suggestion...
  6. Joined
    26 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 Mar '07 21:34
    Some of us are barely computer literate, not very skilled at it, and/or klutzy. I myself, have castled by moving the ROOK first...obviously, it didn't work. Also, my "mouse" is a cheapie, and it is difficult to move it around. Lastly, sometimes, I just drop the piece BEFORE I get to the desired square. There should be some way to immediately correct it w/o ruining an entire game. E.G., in American football, a team can challenge a Referee's ruling, and they look at the "replay". If the team is right, the correction is made. If not, they lose a timeout. How about something similar: 2 corrections/game, made w/in 5 seconds but only if the opponent hasn't moved yet?
  7. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    03 Mar '07 23:062 edits
    I personally like that there are no "request take back" kinds of things. I always hate having to turn people down and then hear them screaming and yelling about how unsportsmanlike I am (which I always find pretty hypocritical).

I can see your point about a friendly game though. Its certainly something we allow when playing OTB with friends.

Maybe as an option that can be set during game creation, so there's no disagreement from the start.
  8. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    03 Mar '07 23:09
    Chess is war!
  9. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    03 Mar '07 23:26
    Originally posted by joneschr
    Maybe as an option that can be set during game creation, so there's no disagreement from the start.
    That sounds like a good idea to me...never thought of it that way, but it sounds good.
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '07 00:28
    Originally posted by LUDUPORCU
    I myself, have castled by moving the ROOK first...obviously, it didn't work. Also, my "mouse" is a cheapie, and it is difficult to move it around. Lastly, sometimes, I just drop the piece BEFORE I get to the desired square. There should be some way to immediately correct it w/o ruining an entire game.
    You have to click the move [submit] button after you have moved the pieces when you castle, before it takes effect - also you cant "drop" a piece during a move here.
    Where were you referring to?
    I notice you have yet to make ANY move at all at this site - at least not with the name you are using now.
  11. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Mar '07 00:34
    That sounds like a good idea to me...never thought of it that way, but it sounds good.
    Just forget about this. There is no way on earth that there will be such a thing in a CC website.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '07 17:12
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    You have to click the move [submit] button after you have moved the pieces when you castle, before it takes effect - also you cant "drop" a piece during a move here.
    Where were you referring to?
    I notice you have yet to make ANY move at all at this site - at least not with the name you are using now.
    Doc is right.

You can always take back a move, any move. Even if it is the worst move ever, you're able to take it back. You don't even have to ask for it. The opponent will never notice it.
    It is at the very moment you press the Submit, you confirm the move and are responsible for its effect.

Never thought of it this way. Rather clever, isn't it?
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 02:30

Thanks,
    -Witty
    How about only for nonrated games only.
  14. Hoagy's Alley
    Moves
    08 Mar '07 14:52
    sorry, i think this is a really bad idea. you can make all the wrong moves you want before you hit submit, you can even go to 'analyse board' and play through all the implications - you've got no one but yourself to blame if you don't like the move and end up regretting it. we all do that, of course, but surely it's part of the learning process to discover that you have to take just a little more time and care...
  15. Montreal
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 18:432 edits
    Originally posted by Officer Dibble
    sorry, i think this is a really bad idea. you can make all the wrong moves you want before you hit submit, you can even go to 'analyse board' and play through all the implications
    Exactly right. Correspondence chess is about having all the time in the world to make a decision. If you still make a blunder, you really earned it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree