1. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    12 Feb '05 00:14
    I think it would be interesting and perhaps insightful if included on a member's home page was a listing of a number of wins claimed by timeout.
  2. Joined
    08 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '05 01:32
    Why? Does it mean that hes not a better player because you can't seem to get off your ass and make a move?
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    12 Feb '05 02:23
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    I think it would be interesting and perhaps insightful if included on a member's home page was a listing of a number of wins claimed by timeout.
    But of course is it really a players fault if people they play choose to be timed out instead of playing on in a lost position?
  4. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    12 Feb '05 03:53
    Actually.. along those lines, it would be nice to know what his rating would be if timeouts were not included .. maybe two separate ratings.. I hate lining up clan challenges, and find out that the guy actually should be 400 points higher but because he didn't move for 2 weeks he's now at 1100..
  5. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    13 Feb '05 06:18
    Originally posted by MIODude
    Actually.. along those lines, it would be nice to know what his rating would be if timeouts were not included .. maybe two separate ratings.. I hate lining up clan challenges, and find out that the guy actually should be 400 points higher but because he didn't move for 2 weeks he's now at 1100..
    Right something along those lines. I'm not a very good player myself and I don't have a great deal of victories by timeout but I do have a few. I think its great we have the option of claiming a win if your opponent refuses to move in a fair, certain amount of time. I just think it would more of an accurate representation of a player's true rating.
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Feb '05 10:42
    Originally posted by BuGHoUsEMASTER
    Why? Does it mean that hes not a better player because you can't seem to get off your ass and make a move?
    Normally, I wouldn't think it was at all important to see stats without T/Os, but some idiots actually play to get the T/O.

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=19375&page=1

D
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    13 Feb '05 14:22
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Normally, I wouldn't think it was at all important to see stats without T/Os, but some idiots actually play to get the T/O.

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=19375&page=1

D
    But of course having a rating without timeouts or similar will not distinguish between those people and the other people who often are forced to time out opponents thanks to them not moving in a lost position.
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Feb '05 16:10
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    But of course having a rating without timeouts or similar will not distinguish between those people and the other people who often are forced to time out opponents thanks to them not moving in a lost position.
    But of course, we shouldn't be trying to minimise the stats that are available to us either. If we had both available to us, then we could see the true strenght of the jerk who tries to win his games using the T/Os. I believe that we should have loads more stats, like a breakdown of wins/losses/draws against certain rating spreads, eg: 1800-2000, highest rating, average rating, average rating of opponents, etc.

D
  9. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    13 Feb '05 18:391 edit
    If we had both available to us, then we could see the true strenght of the jerk who tries to win his games using the T/Os.
    Player don't win games by T/O. Players lose games by T/O.

I'd be much more interested to how many lost games were by T/O. Far more revealing than wins by T/O.

In tournaments you can't avoid winning by T/O if your opponent fails to move.

I'd much rather play someone who wins a lot of games by T/O than someone who loses a lot of games by T/O. At least I could be sure the game reaches a natural conclusion.

I was once timed out of 3 games in one day. Games in which no move had been made. It was a 1 day T/O tournament with no timebank, and I was away overnight. That is the one and only time I've lost by T/O.

Seriously, with the timebank system, if you run out of time, you deserve to lose.

Having said that, I agree, any additional stats would be great!

[rant]
    How about most number of games resigned in one day. Mass resignations "to clear my game load" make my blood boil! Why start the freaking games in the first place?!?
    [/rant]
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Feb '05 19:04
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Player don't win games by T/O. Players lose games by T/O.
    I said the racist jerk tries to win his games by T/O, not that he wins by T/O.
    Read this and tell me he's not...

Dodger11:
    OK, here's what I do, and it's worked MANY times: Pick a new game at 1 day per move, zero time bank. Then watch what time of day your opponent moves, and jump in right after he logs off and move instantly. THEN, grasshopper, check onto the site just when the 24 hour time is up, and declare a win if the dumb sap misses it by a few minutes. I have won many a game against higher rated players in this way, most of them were dead losses for me.

This dope is trying to win Open Challenges by tactically playing the timeout situation. I don't normally mind people winning/losing by T/O, but this guy takes the mick.

D
  11. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    13 Feb '05 19:17
    I said the racist jerk tries to win his games by T/O, not that he wins by T/O.
    Read this and tell me he's not...
    Sorry, I hadn't read his post.

What he does is not in the spirit of the game. But it is a good warning to others - make you sure use a timebank. His ploy cannot work if there is a timebank.
  12. Joined
    11 Aug '03
    Moves
    13 Feb '05 20:06
    Originally posted by MIODude
    Unless someone has just won/lost a lot of games on timeouts the ratings should be pretty similar either way. The best things would probably be to know the players peak rating, or to see their ratings chart. Perhaps including this info on the screens to sort out a clan challenge would make it less tiresome than clicking on each player's profile. Or clan leaders could have a manually estimated account of the players strength in their clan that others could look at?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '05 20:20
    I just hit 1637, and got a few more wins (real ones) in my pocket....tee hee.
  14. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    13 Feb '05 20:40
    Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '05 21:49

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree