1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 23:551 edit
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    Seriously tho. This site is a chess site. The main focuss should be to play a good game of chess. Not to see how fast you can outskull an opponent when he just ran a little bit out of time.
    Chess sites generally have auto-skulling at least available as an option. If you don't believe me, have a look around some of them.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 04:26
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Chess sites generally have auto-skulling at least available as an option. If you don't believe me, have a look around some of them.
    Tell me another correspondance chess site, as RHP, that has auto-skulling.
    A blitz site, yes, but correspondance?
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 05:44
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Tell me another correspondance chess site, as RHP, that has auto-skulling.
    A blitz site, yes, but correspondance?
    www.schemingmind.com has auto-skulls. It's a corr site.
    www.chess.com has an auto-skull option, apparently turned on by default, judging by this entry in the FAQ:
    How can I prevent getting wins based on timeouts?
    Solution You can go to your Online Chess settings page (http://www.chess.com/home/echess_settings.html) and then uncheck the box for "Auto-Win on Time" so that you do not automatically win a game once your opponent runs out of time.

Further, as has already been pointed out, RHP has autoskulling in tournaments - 2 days after the skull appears.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 14:36
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    SG's idea of an auto Skull option would be a good addition.

Recently in the Chess Forum players have been saying they have been getting
    grief from Skulled opponents.
    Also it's not uncommon for some lad to come on saying they see a skull but are
    in two minds if they should claim the game or not.

If all tournaments games were automatically given a ...[text shortened]... s
    would not happen.

Friendlies (no such thing) and challenges can retain the skull option.
    I think it laughable that anyone would complain in the forums about being timed out. That post should be followed by 20 people telling the user to watch their clock or adjust time limits.

It's just as silly as users who complain you've resigned the game when they were "JUST ABOUT TO MATE YOU"!

Should we play on towards mate for those users, or just explain to them how silly their complaints are?

P-
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 14:46
    www.schemingmind.com has auto-skulls. It's a corr site.
    www.chess.com has an auto-skull option, apparently turned on by default, judging by this entry in the FAQ:[quote]How can I prevent getting wins based on timeouts?
    Solution You can go to your Online Chess settings page (http://www.chess.com/home/echess_settings.html) and then uncheck the box for "A ...[text shortened]... ready been pointed out, RHP has autoskulling in tournaments - 2 days after the skull appears.
    Okay.

This is my opinion:
    Auto skull is not good. Sometimes I want to play with a friend, where time doesn't matter. If he is out for a month, then he'll know that the game is still there when he returns.
    Also, when someone asks me nicely to not skull him out, if he has a good reason, then I might ignore the clock.
    In both these cases auto skulling would destroy.

(I didn't know other corr sites with auto skulling. Thanks for the info.)
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 15:51
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Okay.

This is my opinion:
    Auto skull is not good. Sometimes I want to play with a friend, where time doesn't matter. If he is out for a month, then he'll know that the game is still there when he returns.
    Also, when someone asks me nicely to not skull him out, if he has a good reason, then I might ignore the clock.
    In both these cases auto skulling would destroy.

(I didn't know other corr sites with auto skulling. Thanks for the info.)
    If you had an option to turn it on or off, I think that would resolve your issues with it?
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 16:141 edit
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    If you had an option to turn it on or off, I think that would resolve your issues with it?
    If you were playing OTB, and your opponent's flag fell while you're in the shower, picking up a pizza, or doing dishes is it possible to have someone else claim flag for you?

Or do you have to check the clock yourself?

P-
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 16:281 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    If you were playing OTB, and your opponent's flag fell while you're in the shower, picking up a pizza, or doing dishes is it possible to have someone else claim flag for you?

Or do you have to check the clock yourself?

P-
    In OTB games we play, or I should say those of us who play only play 1 game at a time. There is not time to be picking up pizza or doing dishes, unless you are one of those special people who can fit it in to an over the board tournament.

You are talking apples and oranges yet again, on a topic you don't know a whole lot about, as you don't play enough games at one time to have any idea what we are talking about, at a personal level.

EDIT: As always you are most certainly allowed to make an opinion, even if it is one you don't know anything about. Have a great day!
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 16:33
    In OTB games we play, or I should say those of us who play only play 1 game at a time. There is not time to be picking up pizza or doing dishes, unless you are one of those special people who can fit it in to an over the board tournament.

You are talking apples and oranges yet again, on a topic you don't know a whole lot about, as you don't play enough ...[text shortened]... llowed to make an opinion, even if it is one you don't know anything about. Have a great day!
    If you have too many games to keep track of, play less.

Should there be an option where your moves are made automatic out of chess book until someone leaves book because you decided you can keep 100+ games going at once?

Don't tell me what I do or don't understand. Don't play so many games that you can't keep track of what is going on.

You going to play mail CC and have your secretary make your moves?

P-
  10. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 16:37
    I believe you, I just dont really care how its on other sites, since i play (and pay) here.
    I think its easy enough the way it is at the moment. You are interested in a game, you look at it, come to the conclusion that you can claim the win for that game in a way that doesnt really have anything to do with chess itself that much, and you can choose to claim it or not.

I dont think people should be able to get wins if they are not even playing. Timecontrols and all that are very much needed. But an option to auto-skull is not. There should not be any attention going to it, the main focuss should be on chess.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 16:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 16:39
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    I believe you, I just dont really care how its on other sites, since i play (and pay) here.
    I think its easy enough the way it is at the moment. You are interested in a game, you look at it, come to the conclusion that you can claim the win for that game in a way that doesnt really have anything to do with chess itself that much, and you can choose to clai ...[text shortened]... skull is not. There should not be any attention going to it, the main focuss should be on chess.
    Well said, if someone wants to play several games at once, they should play them... not let them run like mice in a maze in hopes of finding cheese.

P-
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 16:401 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    What?

Where is a cheat accusation?

If you want 200 games in progress, you should be prepared to play 200 games at once. Your asking for automation to ease your burden... the burden of too many games.

Sorry you feel that when people don't agree with you they are taking pot shots, I'm just trying to explain why I DON'T think skulls should be automated.

Sorry you can't handle that.

P-
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 16:50
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Well said, if someone wants to play several games at once, they should play them... not let them run like mice in a maze in hopes of finding cheese.

P-
    It is a "Chess Site", not Phlabbys "Forum Only Site"!
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 16:55
    It is a "Chess Site", not Phlabbys "Forum Only Site"!
    So, you prefer I have no say in site ideas?

How is this?

Read through my posts here, I've given several reasons why I think timeouts should NOT be automatic and all you can do is feel threatened by my opinions on the subject.

Nice work.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree