1. Long Island, NY
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 14:58
    How about setting a rating policy that tracks dramatic drops in rating and setting a time limit to maintain the higher rating. I see many players in tournaments who have dropped ratings and manage to get into a tournament they are likely to win.
  2. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 15:06
    Originally posted by tubseller
    How about setting a rating policy that tracks dramatic drops in rating and setting a time limit to maintain the higher rating. I see many players in tournaments who have dropped ratings and manage to get into a tournament they are likely to win.
    I like finishing a banded tournament at my same rating to see that the two top guys in the group now have ratings exceeding 200+ of any one else.
  3. Long Island, NY
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 15:22
    The worst is when you see a player who had been a high rating for awhile and suddenly dropped hundreds of points. Now he is enters a tournament hundreds of points lower than he has established before. Do you think that is fair?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 15:23
    Can you be more specific about this rating policy?
  5. Long Island, NY
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 15:36
    When a player drops more than 300 points within 60 days that player must play a minimum of 90 days at the lower level before his lower ranking is established. This would force the cheaters to suffer at least 90 days of losses before they can enter a tounament at a low rating.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 16:12
    When a player drops more than 300 points within 60 days that player must play a minimum of 90 days at the lower level before his lower ranking is established. This would force the cheaters to suffer at least 90 days of losses before they can enter a tounament at a low rating.
    Let's see if I understand you correctly...

A 1600-player has to go on an unplanned vacation because of his work, he is timed out of numerous opponents that make his rating drop to 1300. It is not his fault, he's a victim of circumstances. This is the background of his sudden drop in rating.

If he's forced to play with 1300 in rating during 60 days, I just don't see what this will accomplish...
  7. Standard memberMcKnights
    Marshall McKnights
    Florida
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 16:36
    Actually i think he is refering to sandbaggers which is common is OTB tournaments, i for one am not one of them, say i worked my rating up to 2000, which will be done if not close to it (LOL), then i cant win a tournament, there are some people who will lose games just to drop their rating so they can play weaker players in a 1600-1800 tournament, this in my opinion can be solved, the players rating for tournaments should not drop below 150 then his highest achieved, so if i had a 2000 rating then the lowest my rating would be able to go is 1850, this is only for tournament purposes, though the actual rating of the player could drop further, but the player would only be allowed to enter tournaments the cover a 1850 rating
  8. Long Island, NY
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 17:05
    I think your solution is a good one and easier to follow. As for losing games due to vacation, I do not agree. I travel on business and go on vacation and have never timed out. It is simply a matter of courtesy to complete a game once it begins. And if timed out then suffer the consequences.
  9. Standard memberMcKnights
    Marshall McKnights
    Florida
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 17:13
    i agree, timed out meaning you dont have any time left, i will strictly inforce this in tournament or clan games, casual play i wouldnt care, but with that they should add like 7 days or so to all games when someone goes on vacation, im not sure if they do this or not
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 19:10
    Originally posted by McKnights
    Actually i think he is refering to sandbaggers which is common is OTB tournaments, i for one am not one of them, say i worked my rating up to 2000, which will be done if not close to it (LOL), then i cant win a tournament, there are some people who will lose games just to drop their rating so they can play weaker players in a 1600-1800 tournament, this in ...[text shortened]... drop further, but the player would only be allowed to enter tournaments the cover a 1850 rating
    I think this is a good idea, but should you realize that with they can
    not join the higher rated banded tournaments so you effectively have
    knocked them out of banded tournaments if they drop 150 points.
    Kelly
  11. Long Island, NY
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 20:05
    Actually they can enter higher banded tournaments when they have maintained the higher rating a length of time, say 90 days.
  12. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 21:42
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I think this is a good idea, but should you realize that with they can
    not join the higher rated banded tournaments so you effectively have
    knocked them out of banded tournaments if they drop 150 points.
    Kelly
    I could see a lot of people in favour of keeping players like this out of banded tournaments until their rating had established itself again. They would still have open tournaments, and open invites, just no banded.

Geeza
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 15:54
    Originally posted by gezza
    I could see a lot of people in favour of keeping players like this out of banded tournaments until their rating had established itself again. They would still have open tournaments, and open invites, just no banded.

Geeza
    I agree, I just wanted it to be clear and going into it with eyes open.
    Kelly
  14. The Tao Temple
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 18:54
    Originally posted by McKnights
    there are some people who will lose games just to drop their rating so they can play weaker players in a 1600-1800 tournament, this in my opinion can be solved, the players rating for tournaments should not drop below 150
    Excellent idea! So a player's highest career rating becomes their reference point for tournaments only. If they crash then their tournament rating can only fall to Max -150.
    For other games the safety net is not applied. Is that the gist?
    Of course people have genuine reasons for crashing but they shouldn't be able to scoop up unfair tournament victories on their way back up.
    What do you think Fabian?
  15. Standard memberMcKnights
    Marshall McKnights
    Florida
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 18:58
    This is why i suggested that the high rating stand pernament, maybe taking off 100 pts from the highest rating that person has had, this will clear this whole problem ,

right now my highest is 1651, so therefor my rating to enter tournaments can not go below 1551

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree