1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 19:07
    Originally posted by McKnights
    This is why i suggested that the high rating stand pernament, maybe taking off 100 pts from the highest rating that person has had, this will clear this whole problem ,

right now my highest is 1651, so therefor my rating to enter tournaments can not go below 1551
    Over simplistic solution.

Read through the thread below from the linked post to see probably the best solution to the banded tournaments problem.
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=46202&page=2#post_828738

D
  2. Farnborough
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 12:28
    I like this idea, it's a bit daft to have players rated 1600+ in a tourney for players up to 1200, which is my rating. Whenever it happnes it ruins what should be a evenly matched competition. I reckon there are at least 3-4 players who should not be in the tourney every time one starts, many of them have even risen in rank before the tourney even gets going! It would not be hard to implement surely. come on RHP get it sorted.
  3. Joined
    07 Jan '02
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 15:10
    Can we not just have a new class of tournaments where the highest rating used for eligibility is over a longer period than a month (ie your highest rating in the last 6 months is used instead of your highest rating in the last month).

This will ensure a more stable group of players playing against each other.

I would love to play a tournament that I have a chance of winning (ie against people who have had a highest rating of ~1550 over the last 6 months rather than some 2000+ players who decided to slum it with the 1500's)
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '02
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 15:18
    Or....another idea to get around the problem of new customers is to add to the tournament entry requirements. I would be very interested in entering a tournament that puts similar players together, such as

1) Highest rating in last year
  5. Long Island, NY
    Moves
    23 Oct '06 02:55
    Can we get RHP to put its 2 cents in this? I would like to know if they are considering any changes.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Oct '06 04:47
    Originally posted by McKnights
    i agree, timed out meaning you dont have any time left, i will strictly inforce this in tournament or clan games, casual play i wouldnt care, but with that they should add like 7 days or so to all games when someone goes on vacation, im not sure if they do this or not
    If RHP had a real vacation system instead of just a stupid flag that everyone ignores, then this wouldn't be a problem.
  7. Standard memberMacroman
    Exiled from Scotland
    Milwaukee
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 04:44
    How about if the interval used to measure the qualification for tournaments were longer, so that you enter banded tournaments based on your highest rating over the last 180 days rather than 30. This would eliminate a lot of sandbagging.

Based on what I've seen and the typical length of tournaments I think it will always be common in a multi-round tournament for the final round competitors to be well above the band for entry. This is a natural result of most of these tournaments being won by rapidly improving players, often young players.

It is a different story if you see someone who used to have a rating of 1800 or even 2000 win an under 1300 tourney, and I have seen this happen on the site.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree