1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 15:02
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Edit - I think that the ratings at the start of the game should be those used to dictate won points. This I think would stop the large ratings drops - someone dropping from 1800 to 1100 would find it more difficult to get games with 1700+ rated players as they would be losing too many points for a loss. That way they would need to slowly rise back thou ...[text shortened]... only gaining in a few points for their "easy wins" on the way back up to their genuine rating.
    Using rating points at the start of a game is a disaster. Say somebody strong did T/O lots of games down to a 1000 rating. He then started 100 games at that rating. Suddenly, there are very little limits to how high he can go. 100 x 32 = 3200, yay he's rated 4200, having only ever beaten 1500 rated players.

Think about these things a little guys.

D
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 17:17
    It's funny how many strange ideas come up because this site does not implement rating floors.
  3. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 21:26
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    It's funny how many strange ideas come up because this site does not implement rating floors.
    If we did that it wouldn't be fair, and it would ruin the roller coaster effect of my profile graph.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 22:541 edit
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    If we did that it wouldn't be fair, and it would ruin the roller coaster effect of my profile graph.
    That's precisely the point. I'm trying to dismantle your roller coaster. 😛
  5. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 02:18
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Using rating points at the start of a game is a disaster. Say somebody strong did T/O lots of games down to a 1000 rating. He then started 100 games at that rating. Suddenly, there are very little limits to how high he can go. 100 x 32 = 3200, yay he's rated 4200, having only ever beaten 1500 rated players.

Think about these things a little guys.

D
    Use the same system that is used for tournament entry, Maybe you could use your own advice.
  6. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 04:20
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Use the same system that is used for tournament entry, Maybe you could use your own advice.
    The tournament entry system makes no sense as a way of calculating your actual rating if that is what you are proposing. We really need to just leave it alone. A few rating points lost to people who lose on timeouts too often really isn't a big deal, certainly not worthy of trying to come up with a new rating system. RHP calculates ratings the same as nearly all chess federations and whatnot do, it is the best way to calculate them IMO, partly for consistancy with real life and other sites, and partly because it is a good algorithm.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree