1. Joined
    13 Jan '09
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 12:38
    Is there anyway to ban players who obviously use the vacation flag to suspend and delay lost games? Its terribly annoying, when an opponent is dead lost, not to mention they've used their entire timebank period, then they throw up a vacation flag!! Absolutely no chess etiquette or sportsmanship, and should not be allowed.

Is there anyway to monitor a players activity, and place in their profiles how often they delay/suspend games, so that when the initial challenge is in progress, one can decide based on that feature whether or not one wants to play them?

This would be a great additional feature to add!
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 13:321 edit
    Originally posted by gujazehn
    Is there anyway to ban players who obviously use the vacation flag to suspend and delay lost games? Its terribly annoying, when an opponent is dead lost, not to mention they've used their entire timebank period, then they throw up a vacation flag!! Absolutely no chess etiquette or sportsmanship, and should not be allowed.

Is there anyway to monitor a pl ...[text shortened]... re whether or not one wants to play them?

When I have too much to do in my private life (like a coming exam, or a out of the town temporary job with limited or unforeseeable internet connection, or a sickness, or something else not concerning anyone), then I put up my vacation flag in order not to be timed out. Some games I continue, some I don't.

When this happens, I don't think that I abuse the vacation time. I don't do any unsportmanship actions, or break any etiquette.

The vacation system, as it is, is incorporated within the rules of RHP, and cannot be abused. People have said this as long as I know, I have adopted the system, and I don't want any criticism about it.

Do you think I abuse the vacation?
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '04
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 13:47
    Why do you want to ban someone who is playing completely within the rules of this site???

Your opponent is a subscriber, therefore he or she has 36 vacation days to use as he or she pleases.

I know it is tough if your a non-sub, as you only have 6 games, but that's the way it is. You can either deal with it, subscribe or leave.

I's go for option 2, or maybe 1, but not 3, it's just not worth it!!
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 13:55

Is there anyway to monitor a pl ...[text shortened]... re whether or not one wants to play them?

This has been discussed at great length. The responses so far reflect the decision of RHP to continue the vacation system as it is. I agree with you that it's bad sportsmanship to sit on a dead lost position and take vacation days just to frustrate the other player into quitting RHP, but that's how it is. It's not against the rules.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 19:43

I'm completely opposed to any kind of banning/adjudication for this behavior. Players have the right to manage their time as they see fit, and choose when/whether to resign. The guy with the lost position has every right to make the opponent win it over the board.

There are plenty of examples of comebacks from 'dead lost' positions.
  6. Joined
    13 Jan '09
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 10:56
    Hey Fabian...You are a prime example of the detestable vacation abuser. As you've just admitted shamelessly, you throw up your vacation flag when you can't handle homework, probably because you're busy wasting time losing games on this site, so therefore find a glitch in it to suit your unsportsmanlike means. When you begin a game, certain time parameters are set...are their not? Yes? Then abide by them, because as you've stated already, you are NOT on vacation🙂
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 11:20
    Hey Fabian...You are a prime example of the detestable vacation abuser. As you've just admitted shamelessly, you throw up your vacation flag when you can't handle homework, probably because you're busy wasting time losing games on this site, so therefore find a glitch in it to suit your unsportsmanlike means. When you begin a game, certain time parameters a ...[text shortened]... ir not? Yes? Then abide by them, because as you've stated already, you are NOT on vacation🙂
    If you define an vacation abuser in this way, then, yes, I am a vacation abuser.

And you are a whiner of the sole reason that I (and others) use the feature supported by the system to lighten up temporary burdens.

I have a life outside RHP. In this life I have responsabilities beyond RHP. Exams goes before RHP, job (that brings money to my life) goes before RHP. Friends in real social life goes before RHP.

And you are a whiner, because you cannot time your opponents out when you want to. Do you think then you show sportmanship? Yes, it is, because it's within RHP rules, as the vacation rules, but people whines anyhow.

Now, are you a whiner or a player? Then play! ...or whine if you prefer that.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 17:29
    Hey Fabian...You are a prime example of the detestable vacation abuser. As you've just admitted shamelessly, you throw up your vacation flag when you can't handle homework, probably because you're busy wasting time losing games on this site, so therefore find a glitch in it to suit your unsportsmanlike means. When you begin a game, certain time parameters a ...[text shortened]... ir not? Yes? Then abide by them, because as you've stated already, you are NOT on vacation🙂
    Sorry, but site rules clearly allow for vacation time, and there is no requirement to explain the reason for taking vacation. This is as much a part of the rules as the time controls. Your rants to the contrary are misguided; you are the one who is not respecting the rules here.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 17:322 edits
    Next time he call me an abuser or any other who uses the vacation feature by the rules, I'll ... Reveal Hidden Content
    blody report him!
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Mar '09 09:40
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    When I have too much to do in my private life (like a coming exam, or a out of the town temporary job with limited or unforeseeable internet connection, or a sickness, or something else not concerning anyone), then I put up my vacation flag in order not to be timed out. Some games I continue, some I don't.

When this happens, I don't think that I abuse ...[text shortened]... d the system, and I don't want any criticism about it.

Do you think I abuse the vacation?
    I'm glad I finally got through to you.

D
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Mar '09 10:01
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I'm glad I finally got through to you.

D
    If you are referring to the concept of 'sealded moves', you haven't.
    But I use the vacation system as it is. Within the rules for the day.
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Mar '09 10:06
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If you are referring to the concept of 'sealded moves', you haven't.
    But I use the vacation system as it is. Within the rules for the day.
    No, I'm referring to the fact that you used the word "abuse" numerous times in the past to describe the scenario you outlined in the quoted post.

D
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Mar '09 11:031 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    No, I'm referring to the fact that you used the word "abuse" numerous times in the past to describe the scenario you outlined in the quoted post.

D
    Sorry, I don't remember in what context I used the word abuse, it was a long time ago.

Eidt: Yes, it seems that I've changed my opinion since february 2007 when the current vacation system was implemented. Seems that I have got used with it by now.
  14. Blighty
    Moves
    16 Mar '09 23:40

All in all an awful idea - however, what about having it show on the profile the date the vacation is due to end - I know that days can be changed, but it would help whingers like this chap/chapess get on with their life without bothering honest players.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree