1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 23:53
    Originally posted by Hopster
    However, I am fairly certain it wasn´t created for people to drag games in an unsporting manner, and I still feel this needs to be addressed.
    If you can come up with a solution which doesn't unduly effect true vacationers/workers/people with immediate short term personal problems, then I'm sure the community would love to hear it.

However, all we have gotten so far (not necessarily from you) regarding vacations is ways to prevent "abuse", without ever considering the required function of a vacation system.

Russ implemented the system for the vacation days "To be used anyway we please". This is the only way that it can work. 1 addendum I have proposed is that there is an extra variable introduced: namely Allow Vacation: Yes/No. As far as I'm concerned that would clear up any and all complaints with the current vacation system as each player would clearly agree to that criteria before a tournament, for example, starts.

D
  2. UK
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 20:26
    That doesn´t mean he is right. It may mean he can´t be bothered to discuss a solution to the issue. I would argue that he has to listen to his subscribers,

What is the point of having a site ideas section if members request cannot be considered.
    He does listen, and he has listened. This (the vacation system) was voted on by the site members in August '06 at which time they voted by over 2:1 for the idea of having a number of vacation days a year (eg 4 weeks) where you are exempt from timeout.

I'd say that, all things considered, Russ actually listens to the membership here pretty well.
  3. Amsterdam
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 23:10
    Why don´t we disable peoples´ ability to move at all, once they put the vacation flag up.
    Otherwise it is just another handy timebank and doesn´t serve it´s original function.
    Like in the other thread about this subject,
    I totally support this!
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 23:26
    Originally posted by Amsterdamn
    Like in the other thread about this subject,
    I totally support this!
    I give up!

🙄

D
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 00:28
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I give up!

🙄

D
    If no one can move on vacation, the games will progress MUCH FASTER. See?!

DO YOU SEE?

P-
  6. The sky
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 00:48
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

DO YOU SEE?

P-
    If we'd freeze all games forever, that would solve most problems. No more sandbagging, rude ingame messages, stalling specific games, engine use... the list goes on. The downside is that we couldn't play games anymore, but I think that's a small price to pay if you consider all the advantages.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 09:40
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

DO YOU SEE?

P-
    Maybe the handful of players who want to tell me what I can and can't do on vacation should form a new clan: The YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!! Clan.

D
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 14:11
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    If we'd freeze all games forever, that would solve most problems. No more sandbagging, rude ingame messages, stalling specific games, engine use... the list goes on. The downside is that we couldn't play games anymore, but I think that's a small price to pay if you consider all the advantages.
    I need to think about this one.

NO I DON'T!

Russ, make this happen!©

P-
  9. UK
    Moves
    15 Jan '08 19:47
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    That gets my rec. Sensible policies for a happier website.
  10. Santiago
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 01:49
    Maybe the handful of players who want to tell me what I can and can't do on vacation should form a new clan: The YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!! Clan.

D
    You´ve made your point and I see where you are coming from. I am not sure that anybody who has suggested (rashly) a halt to moving during vacations personally intends to tell you what to do.

But hey, when discussing the issue lets turn to sarcasm. I can see that you are and your buddies are having a good time.

I can see it that it is useful to be able to use vacation days when you are overloaded with games or just need to take a break. I have certainly moved when on vacation and exactly because I have managed to find an internet cafe.

But I am not happy with the wholesale use of the vacation flag as a handy extension to timebank controls. There are plenty of notes on the system telling people to be aware of the number of games they have running and slow play is frustrating. By Russ saying that people can use the vacation days however they please is a convenient cop out to this argument.

That is my stance on the issue and is not a dig at any of the members posting on this thread. I am sure you all play in the correct spirit.

I agree with your assertion that some tournos could be vacation exempt. But I also think that people could think a little more about the number of games they have on the go if they don´t think they can move in a FAIRLY timely fashion. This is the internet age not 18th century correspondence chess.
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 07:27
    You´ve made your point and I see where you are coming from. I am not sure that anybody who has suggested (rashly) a halt to moving during vacations personally intends to tell you what to do.

But hey, when discussing the issue lets turn to sarcasm. I can see that you are and your buddies are having a good time.

I can see it that it is useful to be abl ...[text shortened]... move in a FAIRLY timely fashion. This is the internet age not 18th century correspondence chess.

Somebody proposing that you can't move on my favourite chess site while on vacation IS trying to tell me personally what I can or can't do on my holidays. The fact that the proposer hasn't thought about what he/she is saying doesn't change that fact.

But hey, when discussing the issue lets turn to sarcasm.

This issue has been discussed ad nauseum. Even in this thread, it was posted why the proposal was a terrible idea, and yet we see it posted again.

But I also think that people could think a little more about the number of games they have on the go if they don´t think they can move in a FAIRLY timely fashion.

I'm in a tournie which started early '04. Was I supposed to know then that a hurricane was going to hit my house in '08 leaving me internetless for 3 or 4 weeks?

D
  12. Santiago
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 16:03
    [b[b]
    I'm in a tournie which started early '04. Was I supposed to know then that a hurricane was going to hit my house in '08 leaving me internetless for 3 or 4 weeks?

D[/b]
    You still managed to find an internet cafe to put your vacation flag up.

I would have thought that worrying about whether some chess games might time out would be the least of your concerns in those circumstances. ´´Hold on we don´t have a house, let me just find an internet cafe and make sure my chess games are covered´´.

Sorry to sound so glib on a subject that caused you so much distress, but it is easy to throw around a few sarky comments.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 16:23
    You still managed to find an internet cafe to put your vacation flag up.

I would have thought that worrying about whether some chess games might time out would be the least of your concerns in those circumstances. ´´Hold on we don´t have a house, let me just find an internet cafe and make sure my chess games are covered´´.
    Are you still debating that players should not be allowed move while their vacation flag is set, or are you just being argumentative for the sake of it?

Hurricanes are normally forecast a day or 2 before they strike.

So, I lost my house, to compound my misery, you and others like Amsterdamm want me to lose my games (which I have invested 3 years in) by TO because you don't like people using the vacation flag to prevent TO. OR, I'm stressed out at losing my house, and after a day of salvaging things I want to unwind by making a couple of moves in my easy games. Unfortunately, you and Amsterdamm won't let me.

Sure, I've got enough to worry about having lost my house. Why do you want to add to my worries and prevent me from destressing?

BTW: The above is what might be referred to as a hypothetical. Not an unreasonble hypotethical considering it has happened to players on here. When you and Amsterdamm and other knee jerk reactionists propose changes, it often helps to think of all situations, and not just 1 specific instance which you consider "abuse".

D
  14. Santiago
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 16:51
    No, I agree with your point of view having had the shortfalls of my suggestion pointed out. I just think a few adjustments, again like you mentioned, would make the system better.

Have you really invested 3 years in certain games? I do think you have a slightly extreme outlook on the impotance of chess in the grand scheme of things. And yes, i am addicted to this site as well.

Peter
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Jan '08 17:58
    Have you really invested 3 years in certain games? I do think you have a slightly extreme outlook on the impotance of chess in the grand scheme of things. And yes, i am addicted to this site as well.

Peter
    I have invested more in certain games considering the games are in the final round of a tournament which started in '04.

Am I saying that the loss of a chess game is comparable to the loss of a house? No. My point is that if things are transpiring against somebody in that they have just lost their house, do you really want to take away a frivolity which they may use to destress for the sake of a couple of imaginary rating points on an online website?

The guys who REALLY want to stick the boot in on a guy down on his luck are the ones who may be taking things a little too seriously.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree