1. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    05 Dec '11 00:132 edits
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    05 Dec '11 13:26
    Originally posted by venda
    Here's a different slant on vacations.It's what I do and i'm sure lots of others as well.
    We go on a lot of vacations and I found that 36 days wasn't enough.
    I realised that the timebank still depletes whether your vacation flag is up or not.
    Therfore, if I am going away for 14 days, and playing say a 3:7 game with all my timebank intact, I play as late as ...[text shortened]... ering why some people seem to be on vacation a lot(as I was) , they probably do the same.
    You need to put a space between your last quotation mark and parentheses and that face wont pop up there.
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    05 Dec '11 13:28
    Originally posted by adramforall
    What is more irrititating, a player who moves once every days in a 7 day per move game or a player who goes on vacation but moves every 2nd day?

Making the vacation time public info is irrelevant, especially as you can move while on vacation.

If a player is playing you in a 1/0 game then says he is on vacation for 7 days. You check in daily and ...[text shortened]... two games.

Are you then pissed off or what?

[b]Play the game and not the time.
    [/b]
    Play the game and not the time. -adramforall

The time IS a intricate part of the game.
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    05 Dec '11 13:46
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Play the game and not the time. -adramforall

The time IS a intricate part of the game.
    Yes, but so long as it's your opponents move why worry about whether they are going to take 1 day, 3 day or 28 days to move.

So long as they are moving within the time controls why get upset about them using vacation time?

After all vacation time only prevents a timeout, not the time running down.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Dec '11 14:03
    just get rid of vacation altogether - if i'm too poor to go on holiday how dare other people go on vacation and allow themselves the luxury of taking more time to move? (the sign rubs salt into the wounds)

not that i am jealous of course....
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    05 Dec '11 14:40
    Yes, but so long as it's your opponents move why worry about whether they are going to take 1 day, 3 day or 28 days to move.

So long as they are moving within the time controls why get upset about them using vacation time?

After all vacation time only prevents a timeout, not the time running down.
    I dont get upset by it. I do agree with you on that. I'm just saying time is a big part of the game.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Dec '11 17:28
    When you make a post you have

[b]Insert smiley
    Insert link to game
    Insert board from FEN
    Insert board from PGN

as options at the bottom of the screen.

Click on Insert smiley gives you the silly faces

🙂😀😉😛😕😠😳🙁:'(😞😏😵😲🙄😴[/b]
    Well, yes... except that there is a bug. The smiley code recognises not only ; ) as a 😉 , but also " ) . So when you end a parenthesis with a quotation mark, the paren bracket is assumed not to be a paren bracket but a smiley. Interestingly enough it's only the bracket which is removed, not the quotation mark, which it is with other, correct smileys.
    I don't know whether other marks combine with the bracket like this as well. The quotation mark is the most likely one to occur, of course, and the only one I've consciously noticed.
    This explains venda's surprise: he thought he had inserted a perfectly good quotation within a parenthesis, and the site turned it into a smiley.

Richard
  8. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 00:02
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Well, yes... except that there is a bug. The smiley code recognises not only ; ) as a 😉 , but also " ) . So when you end a parenthesis with a quotation mark, the paren bracket is assumed not to be a paren bracket but a smiley. Interestingly enough it's only the bracket which is removed, not the quotation mark, which it is with other, correct smileys.
    ...[text shortened]... ectly good quotation within a parenthesis, and the site turned it into a smiley.

Richard
    Well spotted Richard and thanks.
    That's exactly what happened.
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    08 Dec '11 22:47
    I don't know where the silly face came from -I've seen them before but I don't know how to do it!!!
    For some reason a quotation mark and a parentheses have the same effect as a semicolon and parentheses.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 15:51
    This is one of my favorite 'dead horse' subjects.

RHP, Please show me the useless info of when someone's vacation MIGHT end, though it could change, and user can move on vacation! It is important to me to know information that means absolutely nothing at all!

Next, if RHP did show the info people would complain that the number means nothing, want it enforced, users would come here complaining this number said they were on vacation for 15 days and suddenly they were back etc.

There's a few more thumps for this dead old horse.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Dec '11 04:01
    I don't know where the silly face came from -I've seen them before but I don't know how to do it!!!
    When you put a semi colon and a closed parenthesis you get that face.

; ) = 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree