1. Standard memberevertpot
    MirrorInk
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 21:30
    I have recently moved house and was offline for 3 weeks, leaving me with just a weeks leave. I wrote to redotpawn and they refused increase my vacation days. I check with the competition like gameknot.com and they give 60 days worth of vacation by default.

I propose they increase the vacation days uregently for all. What do you think?
  2. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 21:39
    If they increase it any more, I think standard members (no stars) should get some vacation as well. Maybe 2-3 weeks of it.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 21:41
    Originally posted by evertpot
    I have recently moved house and was offline for 3 weeks, leaving me with just a weeks leave. I wrote to redotpawn and they refused increase my vacation days. I check with the competition like gameknot.com and they give 60 days worth of vacation by default.

If you have been a subscriber for the whole year, you get 36 days. I think that's more than enough. With a little planning, it shouldn't be a problem even for people who are away a lot. If you know you'll be away for several weeks, don't take on games with short timeout and timebank, and try not to use up your timebank unless you absolutely have to. Move in all games right before you leave. Set up the vacation flag from the day the first game would run out of time, rather than the day you leave. Being able to put up the vacation flag for 36 days means you can be away much longer than that.
  4. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 21:59
    Actually I think you get 120 days per year on GameKnot if you subscribe. Only thing is, over there you can't move during your vacation (or the opponent can put the time controls back).

And even on GameKnot you can't use more than 30 days consecutively.

In any case, I agree that the current 36 days is more than enough. It would be pretty annoying to have an opponent add 120 days to the length of a game over a year.

Anyway, you must be travelling to some pretty remote areas if you can't get on the net at least every couple weeks or so. Seems these days there are Internet cafes even in pretty undeveloped areas.
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 22:03
    I don't support increasing the vacation time. First, nearly every member of RHP would, I am sure, grant additional time on an honor system for someone who had a good reason, like moving, or an illness, or travel away from the internet for awhile.

If the vacation time is increased, the abuses will increase and make RHP less attractive to those who find the time delays too long already.

I am not oppoed to any reasonable amount of "leave." That is, if a person has a need for additional protected time, then I would support it being granted - no problem. The only difference is, that the "leave time" would be just that - gone. They wouldn't be able to login. No moving. The moment they log back in, the clock would start again.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 23:55
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    If you have been a subscriber for the whole year, you get 36 days. I think that's more than enough. With a little planning, it shouldn't be a problem even for people who are away a lot. If you know you'll be away for several weeks, don't take on games with short timeout and timebank, and try not to use up your timebank unless you absolutely have to. Move in ...[text shortened]... ng able to put up the vacation flag for 36 days means you can be away much longer than that.
    well said noodles
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 00:12
    Originally posted by coquette
    I don't support increasing the vacation time. First, nearly every member of RHP would, I am sure, grant additional time on an honor system for someone who had a good reason, like moving, or an illness, or travel away from the internet for awhile.

If the vacation time is increased, the abuses will increase and make RHP less attractive to those who find th ...[text shortened]... n't be able to login. No moving. The moment they log back in, the clock would start again.
    If wouldn't have a problem with this as long as you wouldn't need to have moved in all your games to go on vacation and you can turn vacation on right away.
  8. 100$ de l'heure.
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 01:18
    Originally posted by evertpot

I have no problems with giving more vacations day, at this one and only condition:

When your flag is up, you cannot move except the last day of your vacations (to prevent timeouts), you cannot enter a tournament, you cannot be included in a clan challenge and you cannot write in the forums. You are in vacations? Fine. Go relax, far away of your laptop...
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 01:30
    Originally posted by cubitus
    I have no problems with giving more vacations day, at this one and only condition:

When your flag is up, you cannot move except the last day of your vacations (to prevent timeouts), you cannot enter a tournament, you cannot be included in a clan challenge and you cannot write in the forums. You are in vacations? Fine. Go relax, far away of your laptop...
    In that case, timebank and timout should not keep running out.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 02:37
    Originally posted by cubitus

You can't tell me how to spend my vacation. One of the best times I had in St. Martin was downloading a FEN or 2 and sitting on the porch looking over the beach with a beer and my new chess board I purchased there for 12 bucks.

No need to increase the time of vacation, users should play 7/14 games and they would nearly 50 days to slack off.

P-
  11. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 04:39
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    You can't tell me how to spend my vacation. One of the best times I had in St. Martin was downloading a FEN or 2 and sitting on the porch looking over the beach with a beer and my new chess board I purchased there for 12 bucks.

No need to increase the time of vacation, users should play 7/14 games and they would nearly 50 days to slack off.

P-
    you keep missing the point, Phlabibit. it's okay how you play. the time controls are what they are. like it, don't like it, that's just the way it is. but, the point is that if, for some reason, a player really "needs" a true "leave of absence" for a good reason - like a house move, or a stroke or brain surgery, or traveling for a time where they won't have internet access (e.g., a sailing ship cruise - a real case for one of my opponents), then they wouldn't be making moves in other games, taking on new games, joining clans, entering tournies and posting in forums - OR EVEN LOGGING IN! their clock would either be stopped, or they could have a few extra days of protected time once they log in before their skulls show up. This was just restating what was said in hopes that this time it gets through. if not, then i suppose we will accept that RHP communication can be difficult.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 05:46
    Does GameKnot use the concept of "Sealed Moves" instead of our "Vacation System"? Does it work well?
  13. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 06:31

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 06:53
    There are already people complaining about how long this vacation system is. Enough said.
  15. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 10:33
    On my scrabble site you can adjourn each game by agreement with the other player for as long as you agree up to 120 days. Or without agreement, in certain cases such as illness, but in this situation the absent person cannot start another game until they have played all the adjourned ones. Transfer this to the RHP situation and you would not be able to use this method for tournament and clan games, which would have to stay with the existing vacation system.

There should be a lot fewer complaints in relation to "friendly" games, and particularly those between subs and non-subs.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? 🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree