1. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 14:34
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    On my scrabble site you can adjourn each game by agreement with the other player for as long as you agree up to 120 days. Or without agreement, in certain cases such as illness, but in this situation the absent person cannot start another game until they have played all the adjourned ones. Transfer this to the RHP situation and you would not be able to u ...[text shortened]... ticularly those between subs and non-subs.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? 🙄
    sure do
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 17:26
    36 days is ridiculouly long. (1) Finish your games if you are going on vacation (2) Take long time banks if you need them (3) Get an agreement from your opponent if something unexpected comes up. (4) accept the fact that there are consequences for not finishing in the agreed upon time

But please don't tie up other people's games who actually go on this site so they can make moves.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 00:221 edit
    Originally posted by jofaz
    36 days is ridiculouly long. (1) Finish your games if you are going on vacation (2) Take long time banks if you need them (3) Get an agreement from your opponent if something unexpected comes up. (4) accept the fact that there are consequences for not finishing in the agreed upon time

But please don't tie up other people's games who actually go on this site so they can make moves.
    Finish games if you are going on vacation? How? Just quit them all?

"Please move fast and let's have a worthless game, I'll be going on vacation!"

An agreement from the other player?

"Ug, dude. I have cancer, and my mom died! Think I can take a break from our game? Thanx in advance. So sad now..."

Please don't tie up other users, agreed times... etc.

Vacation time is 36 days in a year. That is time you can use any way you like. Accept it in your games, as it is part of the rules for this chess site. Some want more, some want less... but here we are at 36 days.

I did not want the vacation system, all my games are set with time controls that I can play my games at a speed I like. People can play unlimited games, so if one guy isn't moving... you make a game with another user who is moving. If you need more games, you join the site.

The people who complain about vacation time are the people who are treating correspondence chess like a slow OTB game. That's not what the game is here.

Think of some of the things you are asking for in your post, how do you prove any of it? How do you 'finish games' before a vacation? Some games take months if not years to finish depending on time control.

People seem to forget that 36 days is a finite number, and will run out. Most rules that are thought up by players punish users like me who play within the time controls and have NO WAY POSSIBLE they could finish a game before taking a vacation.

The rule is what it is, when the rules change I'll play by those rules... but if rules include loss of access to this site or rushing games when something comes up we're going to have a lot more people complaining about these new rules developed to punish a few users who use their vacation time as a crutch.

P-
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 02:25
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Finish games if you are going on vacation? How? Just quit them all?

"Please move fast and let's have a worthless game, I'll be going on vacation!"

An agreement from the other player?

"Ug, dude. I have cancer, and my mom died! Think I can take a break from our game? Thanx in advance. So sad now..."

Please don't tie up other users, agreed t ...[text shortened]... ules developed to punish a few users who use their vacation time as a crutch.

P-
    Please don't think so much when you post about the vacation system.

Thanks in advance,

D
  5. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 08:33
    The only real victims of the vacation system as it stands are non-subs. They can find themselves with 6 vacation flags and no game, and at certain times of year it's not hard to imagine it happening. Subs may despise non-subs but they provide subs with some benefits - a larger player pool and a contribution to the site operations through the ads, which can only be valued on the non-sub numbers, since we don't see them.
    I don't think non-subs should get access to the vacation system, but they should be able to put those vacation games in an "adjourned" box so that they can start a fill-in game. Most games at the lower rating levels don't last as long as higher-rated games.
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 09:261 edit
    Someone I know signed up with Gameknot because he kept getting cheated by....err I mean, subjected to, the vacation system. Obviously, I told him to shut the door on his way out!
    For myself I lost a bit of interest in chess because of it - I now only play a few games [2 or 3] at a time and against people who I can trust.
    There should be no way for one of the players to have a longer timebank than his opponent - it is truly ridiculous.
    Why it can't be fixed for friendly games to have an opt-out feature is beyond me - not being a programmer and all that. 🙁
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 12:16
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Someone I know signed up with Gameknot because he kept getting cheated by....err I mean, subjected to, the vacation system. Obviously, I told him to shut the door on his way out!
    For myself I lost a bit of interest in chess because of it - I now only play a few games [2 or 3] at a time and against people who I can trust.
    There should be no way for ...[text shortened]... riendly games to have an opt-out feature is beyond me - not being a programmer and all that. 🙁
    I sent a feedback plea for an option of Vacation Free Games. Who could complain about this subject once we have the option?!

P-
  8. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 23:11
    I sent a feedback plea for an option of Vacation Free Games. Who could complain about this subject once we have the option?!

P-
    Vacation free games???

I don't like the sound of it.
  9. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 23:51
    let's have 363 vacation days per year, except on leap years, when we would have 364 vacation days.
  10. The sky
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 23:55
    Originally posted by coquette
    let's have 363 vacation days per year, except on leap years, when we would have 364 vacation days.
    Good idea. They should also be mandatory, and moving during your vacation shouldn't be allowed.
  11. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 23:59
    Originally posted by kenan
    Vacation free games???

I'm sure it would have to be an open invites (and possibly siege?) feature. Just for those who want a couple games where they know they'll get moves.
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Sep '07 00:14
    Originally posted by kenan
    Vacation free games???

Why? You don't need to play that option if you don't want to. Neither do I. But they will still be there for people who want to set them up and the other people who want to accept them.

How's it sound now? No one can force you to take one. If there was a vacation free tourney, don't join. If there is a vacation free clan game, decline teaming up... etc.

P-
  13. The sky
    Moves
    02 Sep '07 00:25
    Why? You don't need to play that option if you don't want to. Neither do I. But they will still be there for people who want to set them up and the other people who want to accept them.

How's it sound now? No one can force you to take one. If there was a vacation free tourney, don't join. If there is a vacation free clan game, decline teaming up... etc.

P-
    It's fine for friendly games or tournaments, but I don't think it should be an option for clan games, unless you could make yourself unavailable for vacation-free games without making yourself unavailable for other clan games.
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Sep '07 00:33
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    It's fine for friendly games or tournaments, but I don't think it should be an option for clan games, unless you could make yourself unavailable for vacation-free games without making yourself unavailable for other clan games.
    Ah, I forgot your boss can force if you are available. When I ran an active clan I always messaged my players about each match.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree