1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 20:57
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    So how does our Player of Integrity get his points back? Say an 1800 goes down to 1000 due to timeouts. He must either crush his fellow 1000's, or take inordinate amounts of rating points from higher players.

Is he supposed to abstain from all clan and tourney activity until he gets back to his 'true' rating? How long will that take for a slower pl ...[text shortened]...

I find it hard to blame the players when a simple site-design fix could solve the problem.
    A banded tourney is a tourney for players rated at a certain level. If a 1700 player drops to 1200 or lower for some reason they should know better than to go taking candy from babies in a banded tourney for low rated players.

Banded tourneys are about the only chance a low rated player has to win, and it stinks when a higher rated player joins one just because their rating is down.

I didn't see where Rags said anything about clans.

Also, I agree... this would be a simple fix for Russ and it's been asked over and over.

P-
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 07:39
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    A banded tourney is a tourney for players rated at a certain level. If a 1700 player drops to 1200 or lower for some reason they should know better than to go taking candy from babies in a banded tourney for low rated players.

Banded tourneys are about the only chance a low rated player has to win, and it stinks when a higher rated player joins one j ...[text shortened]... Also, I agree... this would be a simple fix for Russ and it's been asked over and over.

P-
    I agree that it's unfortunate for an U1200 tournament to be won by someone who ought to be rated 1700. However, this 'cradle robbing' is inevitable whenever a rating system allows a player to get so underrated. You're essentially telling these players, "Screw lower rated players over in individual games all you want; just don't do it in tournaments." This isn't really a solution; it merely stops the problem from being as noticeable.

Rags didn't mention clans, but I remembered the controversy over TheSlowPawn playing clan games with a rating hundreds of points below his true strength. Higher rated players didn't want to be matched up with him because they risked losing major rating points; lower rateds complained because they were outmatched over-the-board. It's a no-win situation. The underrated player can hardly be blamed for this; the system must be fixed.
  3. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 03:09
    banded tournies using highest rating in last 6 months is better than last 30 days.

i think using highest rating ever could lead to problems - many players have had upward spikes beyond their normal rating .when they win a dozen games in a row.
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 09:11
    Originally posted by flexmore
    banded tournies using highest rating in last 6 months is better than last 30 days.

i think using highest rating ever could lead to problems - many players have had upward spikes beyond their normal rating .when they win a dozen games in a row.
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=46202&page=2#post_828738

D
  5. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 12:28
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    I don't think vote 13 should count for tournaments
    Of course it should apply, this is where it offers an advantage and is the whole point of why I also subscribe to Gameknot, i.e. only for this facility to play in tournaments which I stopped playing in here because i would just get timed out on holiday. Tournaments can easily last for more than 18 months so this would allow players to take holidays, yes ok someone will say there are plenty internet cafe's around the world, but I want to spend my time abroad with my gf not sitting in some internet cafe.
  6. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 20:58
    Originally posted by Ringtailhunter
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    [b]Tournament 1169
    Tournament 1179

It appears that our buddy, Suzianne, likes being sloppy with his time controls, which gives him the chance to win some low banded tournies.

D

Suzianne shouldn't even be looking at those tournaments.

This is specifically why I don't do tournaments anym ...[text shortened]... one some clown is 200+ points ahead of the group and wins.

Thats just poor....😠

RTh[/b]
    Then again he got comprehensively beaten in this game Game 2232103

Maybe the lower rated players are still too good 🙂
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 22:56
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Then again he got comprehensively beaten in this game Game 2232103

Maybe the lower rated players are still too good 🙂
    22. Qd8

She has got a perty face though... User 44267

D
  8. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 14:10
    Here's a suggestion:

Any player can click on a little "Suspend Me" box and all games except tournament, siege and clan games are suspended until that player logs in again. When the player clicks the box, he will be logged off the site. Under suspension, Timeout in all games (except tournament, siege and clan games) is set to 0 but Timebank remains unaffected. The suspension of games may only last a total of 28 days per year; after this total has been reached, Timebank starts to deplete; after the Timebank is gone, a skull will appear and the opponent may claim the Timeout win.

But... as soon as the player clicks on the box, the opponent sees a trashcan icon which he can if he wants to use to delete the game for no loss or gain.

In the case of tournament, siege and clan games, Timeout and Timebank are depleted as usual.

This privilege should not be available to non-subs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree