1. Standard memberMcKnights
    Marshall McKnights
    Florida
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 07:34
    Well im kinda new here and dont know what happens when someone takes vacation, so if this is the case then please disregaurd this, but adding time to the players move will do the same thing, say they have 7 days to move and decide to go on vacation, after applying for it they would have 14 days to make there next move, though there should be (and i believe there is one) a set limit of vacations per year
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 07:551 edit
    It strikes me that the people crying most about this are the ones who depend on TOs for a lot of their wins.

TOs skew the system so badly that it affects ratings, meaning that there are few people indeed whose actual rating is close to what their rating on the site is. The more TOs you've taken, the more inflated your rating here is from your true ability rating, and the more TOs you've given, the more deflated your rating is from your true ability rating.
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 08:29
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It strikes me that the people crying most about this are the ones who depend on TOs for a lot of their wins.

TOs skew the system so badly that it affects ratings, meaning that there are few people indeed whose actual rating is close to what their rating on the site is. The more TOs you've taken, the more inflated your rating here is from your true abilit ...[text shortened]... and the more TOs you've given, the more deflated your rating is from your true ability rating.
    Say I take 5 timeout wins against equal opposition. I gain quiet a few points. However, unless I continue to take timeout wins my level of play will be below my current rating and my results will lower my rating.
    The same happens if someone loses a whole lot of games by timeout. They quickly approach their true rating again.
  4. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 09:54

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 14:10
    It strikes me that the people crying most about this are the ones who depend on TOs for a lot of their wins.....
    i just had a look at gatecrasher's finished games ...of his last 30, 7 were won by timeout ... but have a closer look: all seven opponents had low ratings, giving gatecrasher almost no points ... the high rated players were beaten fair and square, or drawn with, or drew blood.
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 14:26
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Also, the people who get chronically timed out (and there are some serial offenders), and go down from say 1900 to 1000 then enter banded tournamounts
    Tournament 1169
    Tournament 1179

It appears that our buddy, Suzianne, likes being sloppy with his time controls, which gives him the chance to win some low banded tournies.

D
  7. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 02:32

TOs skew the system so badly that it affects ratings, meaning that there are few people indeed whose actual rating is close to what their rating on the site is. The more TOs you've taken, the more inflated your rating here is from your true abilit ...[text shortened]... and the more TOs you've given, the more deflated your rating is from your true ability rating.
    I am one "crying" about this injustice of vacationing slugs. I adjust the games I take on to allow for me to take time off when I want to and not even have to think about being timed out. Why should a player be rewarded for entering tournaments with short time outs and taking on 80 games of the same? I feel as though I will now be punished because people cannot seem to figure it out. DUH!

It aint my problem they cant handle their games and I sure don't want their problems to be my problems.

I rarely take a time out and when I do it is because my opponents drags and drags even in a losing position for them, So git yer facts straight before you post please, you assume too much.

RTh
  8. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 02:361 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Tournament 1169
    Tournament 1179

It appears that our buddy, Suzianne, likes being sloppy with his time controls, which gives him the chance to win some low banded tournies.

D

Suzianne shouldn't even be looking at those tournaments.

This is specifically why I don't do tournaments anymore. You get into a banded of your own rating and when its done some clown is 200+ points ahead of the group and wins.

Thats just poor....😠

RTh
  9. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 11:312 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 21:011 edit
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Vote 12 is excellent. The question was excellent, the choices were excellent, the turnout was excellent. Well done, Russ and Chris.
    Actually, I think there's currently a problem with vote 12 as well. Currently the votes for "change" are just slightly greater than the votes for the status quo. However, as the votes for change are split between two different options, it appears that the status quo is winning.

How should this be interpreted? Arguably, those who voted for option 3, would prefer option 2 over option 1 (at least they get one of the new features they "requested" ). Does this imply that option 2 is currently winning even though it has the fewest votes? 😕
  11. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 02:14
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    How should this be interpreted? Arguably, those who voted for option 3, would prefer option 2 over option 1 (at least they get one of the new features they "requested" ). Does this imply that option 2 is currently winning even though it has the fewest votes? 😕
    In a truly democratic vote, option 2 would be eliminated, and there would a new vote with only choices 1 & 3. At RHP, in all likelyhood, it will be viewed by the admins that there is not enough support for change. Like changing the constitution you need far more concensus.
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 02:23
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    In a truly democratic vote, option 2 would be eliminated, and there would a new vote with only choices 1 & 3. At RHP, in all likelyhood, it will be viewed by the admins that there is not enough support for change. Like changing the constitution you need far more concensus.
    You need more than general agreement? It would be better to state you need more than a simple majority. In many countries it's around 2/3 to change entrenched laws.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 06:12
    Tournament 1169
    Tournament 1179

D
    I say blame it on the website for not having rating floors. This is such an old problem and there haven't been any real steps taken to stop it.
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 09:06
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I say blame it on the website for not having rating floors. This is such an old problem and there haven't been any real steps taken to stop it.
    I agree that RHP needs a rating floor... http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=46202&page=2#post_828738

But that's not to say that people shouldn't have the integrity not to enter banded tournaments when they are obviously not at their own strength. Unfortunately, there will always be dishonest people out there who abuse whatever system is put in front of them.

D
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 19:12
    I agree that RHP needs a rating floor... http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=46202&page=2#post_828738

But that's not to say that people shouldn't have the integrity not to enter banded tournaments when they are obviously not at their own strength. Unfortunately, there will always be dishonest people out there who abuse whatever system is put in front of them.

D
    So how does our Player of Integrity get his points back? Say an 1800 goes down to 1000 due to timeouts. He must either crush his fellow 1000's, or take inordinate amounts of rating points from higher players.

Is he supposed to abstain from all clan and tourney activity until he gets back to his 'true' rating? How long will that take for a slower player? Is it really so much better that he is producing a bunch of unfair results in individual competition rather than clans or tourneys?

I find it hard to blame the players when a simple site-design fix could solve the problem.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree