Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 12 Jan '05 12:01
    Hey there
    I think this is a great idea,
    i don't know if it' has ever been done before:

    Many times, when I play with friends, we wonder "What would happen IF".
    (If I moved the piece, that way, etc.)
    Sometimes after the game finishes we really check it out.

    How about adding a feature to clone the game at a certain point, than play two simultanous moves and their outcome, just for the fun and learning of it.
    A great opportunity to learn ain't it?
    This way you can really see how the other player would have reacted instead of speculating.

    It could be added this way:
    Ask the other player to "what-if" clone.
    if s/he agrees, a cloning would be done and played simultanously by both players...

    oh the riches... the opportunities...
  2. Standard member Alcra
    Lazy Sod
    12 Jan '05 13:10
    Originally posted by ilsh noga
    Hey there
    I think this is a great idea,
    i don't know if it' has ever been done before:

    Many times, when I play with friends, we wonder "What would happen IF".
    (If I moved the piece, that way, etc.)
    Sometimes after the game finishes we really check it out.

    How about adding a feature to clone the game at a certain point, than play two simultano ...[text shortened]... be done and played simultanously by both players...

    oh the riches... the opportunities...
    not a bad idea - however, I would suggest that the cloned game be unrated, or at the very least, the option be allowed.

    Having said that, one could simply clone the game by creating a set piece game with the same layout, although this would be a but time consuming if done often.
  3. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    12 Jan '05 15:48 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Alcra
    not a bad idea - however, I would suggest that the cloned game be unrated, or at the very least, the option be allowed.

    Having said that, one could simply clone the game by creating a set piece game with the same layout, although this would be a but time consuming if done often.
    I would limit the times any one player could do it too. You could simply
    put a marker to have that point in the position brought back and
    replayed either rated or not. Not by default, and rated if and only if
    both agree. There are several ways this could be done, but it is a very
    good idea in my opinion.

    Another twist, allow the players to take the others place, trading places
    and playing on would be nice. If someone wanted to resign a good
    game, or offer a draw when they can win. Many nice lessons could be
    learned from those willing to teach them.

    Kelly
  4. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    12 Jan '05 16:10
    I like the idea and the option would be nice to have. (for rated games!)
    And it's already possible: play piece set game (or: just replay all moves )
    And I second the idea of trding positions!
    th
  5. 13 Jan '05 00:42
    Originally posted by ilsh noga
    Hey there
    I think this is a great idea,
    i don't know if it' has ever been done before:

    Many times, when I play with friends, we wonder "What would happen IF".
    (If I moved the piece, that way, etc.)
    Sometimes after the game finishes we really check it out.

    How about adding a feature to clone the game at a certain point, than play two simultano ...[text shortened]... be done and played simultanously by both players...

    oh the riches... the opportunities...
    Why waste Russ's time just because you are lazy?

    Send over an unrated challenge to them and use the "setup board" option to recreate the position you want.
  6. Standard member xs
    Incroyant
    14 Jan '05 17:09
    Originally posted by Grayeyesofsorrow
    [b]Why waste Russ's time just because you are lazy?
    Hold on there sorrow!

    This is the Site Ideas forum, and these players (customers)
    proposed an idea.

    Russ is not a volunteer, this is a business.
    He is paid for his time. A customer can't waste it.

    There is no such thing as a lazy customer...
    as not wanting to or being able to do something is what
    makes you a customer in the first place.

    $$$
  7. 14 Jan '05 20:44
    Actually, this could be very useful.

    When you setup a set-piece, you always have to do it by hand. If you could paste a FEN into the set-piece setup, that would be useful...

    And then, if you could, from the analyze board, generate a Fen from the current board layout, that would also be great.

    Together, these changes would achieve what you want while adding even greater functionality.
  8. 15 Jan '05 01:59
    Originally posted by xs
    Hold on there sorrow!

    This is the Site Ideas forum, and these players (customers)
    proposed an idea.

    Russ is not a volunteer, this is a business.
    He is paid for his time. A customer can't waste it.

    There is no such thing as a lazy customer...
    as not wanting to or being able to do something is what
    makes you a customer in the first place.

    $$$
    Of course there is such a thing as a lazy customer. The suggestion can be achived in under 30 seconds if the people playing just use the setup board facility. Where as things like turning off in game cant be achieved at this point in time.
  9. 15 Jan '05 02:01
    Originally posted by Pie1120
    Actually, this could be very useful.

    When you setup a set-piece, you always have to do it by hand. If you could paste a FEN into the set-piece setup, that would be useful...

    And then, if you could, from the analyze board, generate a Fen from the current board layout, that would also be great.

    Together, these changes would achieve what you want while adding even greater functionality.
    Come on, how long does it take to setup a chess board?

    While the option of FEN would be nice, there is just no need for a split game option when you have a setup board one.
  10. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    15 Jan '05 13:26
    Originally posted by Grayeyesofsorrow
    Why waste Russ's time just because you are lazy?

    Send over an unrated challenge to them and use the "setup board" option to recreate the position you want.
    Lighten up, there are a lot of things we can do if we want to take
    the time. There are other suggestions that basically do the same
    thing as this suggestion, simpy remove some key strokes we have
    to do, to make other things happen. This suggestion and others
    like it are basially things that might make this place a little more
    user friendly. Calling someone lazy shows a lack of social skills
    on your part for making a suggestion or others for agreeing with
    it.
    Kelly
  11. 16 Jan '05 00:40
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Lighten up, there are a lot of things we can do if we want to take
    the time. There are other suggestions that basically do the same
    thing as this suggestion, simpy remove some key strokes we have
    to do, to make other things happen. This suggestion and others
    like it are basially things that might make this place a little more
    user friendly. Calling som ...[text shortened]... k of social skills
    on your part for making a suggestion or others for agreeing with
    it.
    Kelly
    My lack of social skills and him being lazy are two different things, they can both be right.

    If people want to split games off then it takes 30 seconds in the setup board feature. I dont see why people ask for things that can achieve easily. The FEN idea is great, that would have real use in the setup board, but split games just isnt worth it.
  12. 19 Jan '05 16:40
    Originally posted by xs
    Hold on there sorrow!

    This is the Site Ideas forum, and these players (customers)
    proposed an idea.

    Russ is not a volunteer, this is a business.
    He is paid for his time. A customer can't waste it.

    There is no such thing as a lazy customer...
    as not wanting to or being able to do something is what
    makes you a customer in the first place.

    $$$
    agreed