When vacation days reset

When vacation days reset

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Moves
24 Jul 07

I think it would be better to reset the vacation days based on a date that is spread out throughout the year for different users, e.g. the subscription date.

It seems that with the current system, a ton of people are going to turn on their vacations in December just because they didn't have a need to use the days during the year and they're going to lose them anyway. It's almost as if you can forget about time controls completely during the month of December (or late December).

I don't know how many people actually use up their vacation days, but I'd imagine there's a significant percentage that make it to the end of the year with most or all of the days left.

If I'm not mistaken the vacation system was only introduced this year, so no one has observed what the effects are in December yet.

DS

Moves
24 Jul 07

Originally posted by incandenza
I think it would be better to reset the vacation days based on a date that is spread out throughout the year for different users, e.g. the subscription date.

It seems that with the current system, a ton of people are going to turn on their vacations in December just because they didn't have a need to use the days during the year and they're going to lo ...[text shortened]... s only introduced this year, so no one has observed what the effects are in December yet.
You get another 36 days for next year so what you haven't used becomes irrelevant. {I assume}

i

Moves
24 Jul 07

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
You get another 36 days for next year so what you haven't used becomes irrelevant. {I assume}
Yeah, but what I'm saying is, say it's Dec. 1 and you still have 30 days left. You might as well turn the vacation on, because those days are going to go away and you'll never be able to use them again.

I suspect a lot of people will be in this situation at the end of the year.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
24 Jul 07

It seems that with the current system, a ton of people are going to turn on their vacations in December just because they didn't have a need to use the days during the year and they're going to lo ...[text shortened]... s only introduced this year, so no one has observed what the effects are in December yet.
Here's an idea... how about no vacations in December? It's the holiday season, so no one is vacationing anyway.

P-

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
24 Jul 07

Yeah, but what I'm saying is, say it's Dec. 1 and you still have 30 days left. You might as well turn the vacation on, because those days are going to go away and you'll never be able to use them again.

I suspect a lot of people will be in this situation at the end of the year.
What is your solution?

P-

i

Moves
24 Jul 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Here's an idea... how about no vacations in December? It's the holiday season, so no one is vacationing anyway.

P-
It seems you can't say much here without drawing a trollish response.

My solution, as I said, would be to have the vacations reset at times that are staggered throughout the year. The most convenient way to do this would be based on the subscription date (unless there's some issue with those dates not being distributed evenly, etc.).

Maybe it would be difficult to adjust to that now, but that's how I would do it if I were designing the system from scratch. Having them all reset at the end of the year seems like a pretty serious design flaw, and I think we'll see the effects when December rolls around unless something is changed.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
24 Jul 07
2 edits

It seems you can't say much here without drawing a trollish response.

My solution, as I said, would be to have the vacations reset at times that are staggered throughout the year. The most convenient way to do this would be based on the subscription date (unless there's some issue with those dates not being distributed evenly, etc.).

Maybe it would w, and I think we'll see the effects when December rolls around unless something is changed.
Sorry you feel I've trolled your fantastic and well thought out idea... but what happens to my 4 weeks vacation I take every January?

P-

i

Moves
24 Jul 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Sorry you feel I've trolled your fantastic and well thought out idea... but what happens to my 4 weeks vacation I take every January?

P-
Nothing. Your days reset on your subscription date, but you still have the same number of days per year, and you use them whenever you want.

I guess you're either not reading my posts or just not thinking about what I'm saying. If it's more fun to you to make lame, trollish jokes, then whatever...

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
24 Jul 07

Nothing. Your days reset on your subscription date, but you still have the same number of days per year, and you use them whenever you want.

I guess you're either not reading my posts or just not thinking about what I'm saying. If it's more fun to you to make lame, trollish jokes, then whatever...
Reset on subscription date? Hmmm... That's not a bad idea I guess.

I thought you wanted to dole our time out in small increments over the year.

Either way, I still think we're going to see a lot of people vanish in December, unless they've been using their time like a crutch for clan and tourney games.

I apologize for not fully understanding your idea.

P-

i

Moves
24 Jul 07

No problem. The only point of the idea is to avoid a possible glut of unnecessary vacations in December.

e.g., if I hit Dec. 1 with 30 days, I'll probably be saying to myself, well, I'll feel like kind of a jerk if I just take the vacation even though I don't really need it, but on the other hand, I might as well take any possible advantage that is allowed within the rules of the site (same way I would claim skulls, or take 7 days to move if I needed to even if the opponent wanted me to move faster, etc.)

Personally I think I would just let the days lapse, but not everyone would.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
24 Jul 07

No problem. The only point of the idea is to avoid a possible glut of unnecessary vacations in December.

e.g., if I hit Dec. 1 with 30 days, I'll probably be saying to myself, well, I'll feel like kind of a jerk if I just take the vacation even though I don't really need it, but on the other hand, I might as well take any possible advantage that is al ...[text shortened]... faster, etc.)

Many users here, self included feel the vacation is redundant based on time controls and time bank. I set all my games to give myself 2 weeks off in any game if I need it.

I'm still wondering if I'm going to take 36 days off at the end of November and another 36 off come January just to troll the vacation system.

P-

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
24 Jul 07

e.g., if I hit Dec. 1 with 30 days, I'll probably be saying to myself, well, I'll feel like kind of a jerk if I just take the vacation even though I don't really need it, but on the other hand, I might as well take any possible advantage that is al ...[text shortened]... faster, etc.)

I doubt if it's going to happen.

And so what if it does? Do you think that people will stop playing chess just because they have vacation days remaining? If they haven't used up their allowance, then, they're totally within their rights to take timeout immunity in December, if they wish.

I don't see the problem.

D

i

Moves
24 Jul 07

They may not stop playing, but the time controls could become quite meaningless toward the end of the year.

Of course, the nature of the vacation system is that you never really know if a game is going to be played within the agreed-upon time controls. But if you really want to play a 1 day/0 timeout game, it will become even harder at the end of the year when lots of people are sitting on these unused days that are just going to go to waste.

It would get to the point where you have to agree with the person in advance that they're not going to use vacation days, etc. But if you have to just come to some unenforceable agreement with the other person anyway, what's the use of server-controlled timeouts at all?

I guess it's really more of an overall problem with the vacation system, that you can't say "Let's play a 1/0 game where we really mean it." (It's just that it would become much more pronounced at a particular time of year.) I suppose there could be a flag when starting a game that says vacation won't apply to it.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
27 Jul 07

I think it would be better to reset the vacation days based on...the subscription date.
Sounds pretty reasonable.

DS

Moves
27 Jul 07

I've got a great idea - do away with the vacation system completely. 😏