1. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    20 May '09 14:17
    Why are people on vacation allowed to enter tournaments? How can you be unavailable and yet proclaim yourself ready to play in a tournament? Preventing this would go a long way towards slowing some people's abusive nature. (And I could actually enter a tournament without having to waste my time playing them.)
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 May '09 14:561 edit
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Why are people on vacation allowed to enter tournaments? How can you be unavailable and yet proclaim yourself ready to play in a tournament? Preventing this would go a long way towards slowing some people's abusive nature. (And I could actually enter a tournament without having to waste my time playing them.)
    Users ONLY get 36 days each year if they have the vacation option.

If they want to waste it trying to think an extra few days per move, let them. The time WILL eventually run out.

You are asking to nullify the vacation time each user has, that won't happen for tourney, clan, club, siege, or any other game played here at RHP.

People tend to give too much credit to what 36 extra days can do, many rounds take far more than 36 days to complete.

If you feel pressed for time, consider joining tournaments with longer time options or extra time bank. I understand users CAN manipulate time, but in the long run I'm willing to bet it's not a great advantage.

Take your time making moves in their games, even if you have a move ready before your time is running low. Eventually, their time runs out and you can run their board.

P-
  3. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    20 May '09 16:38
    I'm really not concerned about their time. I'm concerned about mine. I don't want to waste time playing someone who has entered so many tournaments and is playing so many games that they are just blitzing out moves to keep up. If I wanted to play blitz I would be on another site.

You are not even addressing the issue I brought up! I'm not saying I want to prevent you from having vacation or using that 36 days however you prefer. I just don't see why you need to be able to enter a tournament when you've announced to the world that you are taking some extra time. Have some respect for the rest of us instead of just thinking only about yourself. I know that ultimately I can't stop you from being a jerk but I'm just asking for the site (if it wants to keep my business) to help me out.

Why do you NEED to enter a tournament when you are on vacation? Can you give me a reason for that? Tournaments are voluntary here as far as I know and in the grand scheme of things don't amount to that much. Personally I don't care about ratings or tournaments I just want to play chess with people that want to play chess - not sit on their backside trying to achieve a meaningless record and ruin the experience for everyone else. If you really NEED to enter a particular tournament then turn off your flag and risk the skulls and then turn it back on - or advertise the tournament as allowing layabouts to enter (then I won't.) I'm just asking for some consideration from the site (I already suspect you will not be providing any.)
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 May '09 16:39
    are you planning on joining another tournament soon? i could do with a few more games that are blocked from time out because of my flag.
  5. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    20 May '09 16:49
    Originally posted by trev33
    are you planning on joining another tournament soon? i could do with a few more games that are blocked from time out because of my flag.
    No, I just sincerely hope this site is operated by better people than you. (Which I admit is not hoping for much.)
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 May '09 17:01
    I'm really not concerned about their time. I'm concerned about mine. I don't want to waste time playing someone who has entered so many tournaments and is playing so many games that they are just blitzing out moves to keep up. If I wanted to play blitz I would be on another site.

You are not even addressing the issue I brought up! I'm not saying I ...[text shortened]... some consideration from the site (I already suspect you will not be providing any.)
    You seem to forget it's only 36 days they can take.

You are not the one treating CC chess as OTB, you want them moving moving moving. Tournements take months if not years regardless of vacation.

Any given user has only 36 days they can waste. You can blast through making your moves or take your time if you like while they vacation. Pretend they are on a secluded beach with a beer, it helps.

If a user has a vacation flag up, they can shut it off any time to enter a tourney, their is no way to stop that.

About the ONLY option I can think of is having "Tourney Subs". Lets say abuser A joined 3 tourneys and one starts. They next go to vacation for the EXTRA TIME BOOST.

They have 2 tourneys pending, and they have no idea when they start.

Those tourneys have users waiting in case abuser A is on vacation (or any user on a real vacation)

So you are ONLY bounced from tourneys if they start WHILE you are on vacation.

Now you are almost locked into a single tourney with vacation.

Remember, vacation can be shut off or turned on once a day. This time will eventually expire.

Let me know what you think, and I'll send feedback about the subject since you have a reasonable concern about multiple tourneys and supposed time away from the site.

Look it over. I hope I've provided some good unsuspected consideration in participating in your thread about vacation and tourneys.

P-
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 May '09 17:02
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    You seem to forget it's only 36 days they can take.

You are not the one treating CC chess as OTB, you want them moving moving moving. Tournements take months if not years regardless of vacation.

Any given user has only 36 days they can waste. You can blast through making your moves or take your time if you like while they vacation. Pretend they ar ...[text shortened]... nsuspected consideration in participating in your thread about vacation and tourneys.

P-
    Tourney subs are first come first serve and only bounce in when another user is on vacation when a tourney starts.

They would have the option to NOT be treated as a sub, no one likes surprises.

P-
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 May '09 17:341 edit
    No, I just sincerely hope this site is operated by better people than you. (Which I admit is not hoping for much.)
    now are those sarcasm detection classes going?

you can play unlimited games, why make a fuss over a couple that will be moving a little slowly for a while? like el Phlabibito said they only get 36 DAYS, not much when one round can take up to and over a year huh?
  9. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    20 May '09 17:56
    To all of you AGAIN - I'm not asking to prevent, shorten, otherwise limit your vacation days - heck I would support increasing them to 48 - IF, tournament entries were not allowed while flying the flag. Sure, you can turn it off (as I pointed out) but then you risk being skulled (as you should.) (I'm not 100% percent sure how it works but the doc I read said you can't turn off vacation while it is your move anyway - and tho I'm not sure about this I would hope that a day must pass with it off before you can turn it back on - IF that is not so, then consider that another suggestion.)

It is absurd to allow someone to promise to play more games when they are advertising that they will play rarely or not at all. Surely you can wait until your self-imposed retreat is over? Answer me - why can't you? Can you come up with one reason why you must enter a tournament while the flag is flying?
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 May '09 18:13
    To all of you AGAIN - I'm not asking to prevent, shorten, otherwise limit your vacation days - heck I would support increasing them to 48 - IF, tournament entries were not allowed while flying the flag. Sure, you can turn it off (as I pointed out) but then you risk being skulled (as you should.) (I'm not 100% percent sure how it works but the doc I rea ...[text shortened]... Can you come up with one reason why you must enter a tournament while the flag is flying?
    You sure you read what I wrote?
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 May '09 18:18
    For kicks I'll pretend you did.

IF you are on vacation you can shut it OFF to join a tourney at ANY time.

My idea provides for keeping Vacationing users OUT of tourneys when they start. No RHP user knows an exact time for a tourney start, so if they ARE on vacation WHEN it starts they WOULD be blocked.

Perhaps you don't follow that any user could shut off vacation to join a tourney at any time.

P-
  12. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    20 May '09 18:421 edit
    Phlabibit, I understand what you are proposing and I suspect that it would be considerably more difficult to implement while my idea would be easy (tho I admit not as full-proof.) The perfect is sometimes the enemy of the good - in this case I'll take the good however I can get it.

In addition (as I pointed out before) if you shut off the flag you risk a skulling and if it is important enough for you to enter a tourney to do that then I have no problem with you doing so.

AND (as I also pointed out) even if you are not on vacation at the start of a tourney you can certainly turn it on later so what does your suggestion really accomplish? I am not asking to never have anyone go on vacation while playing me (I told you I didn't have a problem with that.) I just want to limit the ability of someone on vacation to add more games without risking a skulling for the games they have already neglected.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 May '09 19:09
    Phlabibit, I understand what you are proposing and I suspect that it would be considerably more difficult to implement while my idea would be easy (tho I admit not as full-proof.) The perfect is sometimes the enemy of the good - in this case I'll take the good however I can get it.

In addition (as I pointed out before) if you shut off the flag you ri ...[text shortened]... cation to add more games without risking a skulling for the games they have already neglected.
    There is NO risk of a skulling if you make a few tardy moves at an oportune time for yourself, just shut off vacation and enter the tourney and turn it back on. The smallest time limit here at RHP is ONE DAY.

In MY system, if the tourney starts WHILE you are on vacation, you are bumped and replaced with a sub.

My suggestion makes it so you can JOIN a tourney while on vacation, but if you ARE on vacation when the tourney starts you get replaced.

I'm still not sure you understand how vacation works. In your system, it is much easier to still enter tournaments, where in mine you are dropped if you are on vacation at the random time a tourney starts.

Reading your posts, I feel you think you automatically lose games when vacation ends, that is not true if you just make one simple move... and next day you could turn it right back on.

Give it a good read and thought, I think you're missing some points about vacation rules I've tried to cover with a workable system to keep vacationers OUT of tourneys that have not started.

P-
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 May '09 19:49
    tell me this, what's the difference between someone joining a tourney and after 2 weeks putting their flag up for a month and a person who is already on vacation joining a tournament and only moving sporadically if at all for a few weeks? the way i see it both hold up the tournament just as much as each other and both will end within 36 days.

so what's the difference? answer me 😵
  15. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    20 May '09 20:13
    I understand what you are saying - but can you understand that to actually implement your system it requires more work by the site? My suggestion is simple: on vacation? not allowed to enter a tournament. If you have 1500 games going when you decide to shut off vacation so you can enter another tourney the effort will be far greater than just making a few tardy moves so I think those kinds of players ARE risking a skulling. If you are playing only <100 games then I don't think you are trying to abuse anyone. As I've tried to point out I am not against using vacation.

I would also so suggest a limit to the number of games that you can have active but some people with 500 games would no doubt complain about that when I'm really not against you playing whatever load you find reasonable and can keep going. It is just quite frankly that some people will strive be unreasonable. Can't I hope that the site will take reasonable efforts to protect me from those people even tho it may limit you? Does anyone really need to play 1500 games at once? Does anyone really need to take a vacation for a week, end it for one day and then start it up another week? It could be that requiring a 2 day waiting period would not hurt 99% of us and would limit the abuse by .01% of unreasonable people?

I doubt very seriously that you would want to play me if I could with impunity play Ng1-g3! when it was advantageous to me. Why should I want to play you if you are playing >1500 games with many of them timed out and still entering every tourney you can? I'm not asking for a perfect world just one with rational limits.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree