1 Timothy 4

1 Timothy 4

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
03 Jul 19
1 edit

Pauls letter to Timothy provides some interesting passages all in one chapter which contradicts several church teachings

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained. But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness. For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come. This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation. For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe. These things command and teach. Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee. (1 Timothy 4:1-16 KJV)

1. Departing from the faith - one departs from the faith by introducing nonsensical doctrines and unbiblical doctrines into the teachings of Christ and the Aposltes. Note that they still profess to believe, but their teachings are nonsense.

2. Some examples - forbidding to marry and commanding to asbtain from meats. Several exdamples of that all over Christianity.

3. Refuse nonsense teachings and practice godliness -
Modern churches promote nonsense teachings and encourage godlessness - they condemn good works and the following of commandments as legalistic and trying to earn ones salvation. Further by proclaiming one is saved eternally there is no need for any effort on the part of the professed believer

4. God is the Saviour of all men ESPECIALLY [NOT EXCLUSIVELY] those who believe. Clearly then God has a plan to save others [as Romans 2 and other passages describe]. Christians do not have a monopoly on God or Christ.

5. Continue in the right doctrine and you will save yourself and others - a statement completely contradictory to two teachings propagated by the church : a. attempting to do good works is trying to save yourself, and b. nothing more could be done to Christ work on the cross. Both statements are unbiblical nonsense.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
06 Jul 19

@rajk999 said
Pauls letter to Timothy provides some interesting passages all in one chapter which contradicts several church teachings

[i]Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; [b]Forbidding to ...[text shortened]... b. nothing more could be done to Christ work on the cross. Both statements are unbiblical nonsense.
No takers huh? I wonder why?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
06 Jul 19

@rajk999 said

[i]Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; [b]Forbidding to ...[text shortened]... b. nothing more could be done to Christ work on the cross. Both statements are unbiblical nonsense.
For bodily exercise profiteth little...
I can cite high quality evidence from prospective cohort trials that contradicts this.

c

Moves
06 Jul 19

@deepthought said
For bodily exercise profiteth little...
I can cite high quality evidence from prospective cohort trials that contradicts this.
Agreed.

Paul doesn't know what he's talking about in regards to exercising the body, which is critical to physical health, along with mental and spiritual well being.

Hate to say it, but some parts of the bible are pure nonsense.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jul 19
2 edits

@chaney3

"For bodily exercise is profitable for a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the present life and of the life which is coming." (1 Tim. 4:8)

Chaney,

Paul doesn't know what he's talking about in regards to exercising the body, which is critical to physical health, along with mental and spiritual well being.

Hate to say it, but some parts of the bible are pure nonsense.

I think you misunderstand here The Apostle Paul said that "bodily exercise is profitable for little." He did not say that bodily exercise is of no profit.

First, if you are reading into his exhortation that bodily exercise is of no profit, you're misunderstanding. It is not nonsense.

He is concerning for profit not only for the present life but profit for the life coming in the manifestation of the kingdom of God.

" ... exercise yourself unto godliness .(v.7) .. godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the present life and of the life which is coming." (v.8)

Look, Paul's priorities there and yours may not be the same. What he considers as "profit" and what you are thinking as "profit" may not be the same.

He is interested not only in profit for the present fleeting life which will fade as grass. But he includes profit unto the coming eternal life in the manifestation of the kingdom of God.

Profit not just for now vs.
Profit for BOTH now and the coming age.

c

Moves
08 Jul 19

@sonship said
@chaney3

"For bodily exercise is profitable for a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the present life and of the life which is coming." (1 Tim. 4:8)

Chaney,
[quote]
Paul doesn't know what he's talking about in regards to exercising the body, which is critical to physical health, along with mental and spiritual well ...[text shortened]... n of the kingdom of God.

Profit not just for now vs.
Profit for BOTH now and the coming age.
I understand your point, but Paul should have chosen a different example to give other than exercise when making his point.

This society doesn't need another reason to cut back on exercise.

Also, one cannot exercise their faith if they're dead, or have let their bodies become unhealthy, by choice.

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
08 Jul 19

@chaney3 said
I understand your point, but Paul should have chosen a different example to give other than exercise when making his point.

This society doesn't need another reason to cut back on exercise.

Also, one cannot exercise their faith if they're dead, or have let their bodies become unhealthy, by choice.
Perhaps it is better to follow the guidance of Jesus when it comes to exercise:

Jesus emphasized how important it is that we take care of ourselves. He stressed that we should honor God with our bodies and treat them as temples. Jesus believed that when we take care and nourish our body, it’s pleasing to God since He created us. This could be abstaining from drugs or alcohol or exercising daily for healthy bones. “Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.” 1 Corinthians 6:19-20.

https://www.healthfitnessrevolution.com/top-10-health-fitness-tips-jesus/

c

Moves
08 Jul 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Jesus emphasized how important it is that we take care of ourselves. He stressed that we should honor God with our bodies and treat them as temples. Jesus believed that when we take care and nourish our body, it’s pleasing to God since He created us. This could be abstaining from drugs ...[text shortened]... Corinthians 6:19-20.

Indeed.
Great advice.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
08 Jul 19
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Jesus emphasized how important it is that we take care of ourselves. He stressed that we should honor God with our bodies and treat them as temples. Jesus believed that when we take care and nourish our body, it’s pleasing to God since He created us. This could be abstaining from drugs ...[text shortened]... Corinthians 6:19-20.

Not too sure about that Ghost. The whole story is that Jesus was referring to sexual immorality which defiles ones body. I would think that Jesus would be on the same page as Paul regarding exercise. Regarding ones health, Jesus and the Apostles said [off the top of my head ]
- dont over eat
- eat everything
- take an occasional drink of alcohol
- work hard
- pray for healing

This body is temporary and efforts to dress it up unnecessarily and make it work better or longer of often vain and futile. Of course this could be taken to another extreme by ignoring good commonsense about ones health which is foolish.

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
08 Jul 19

@rajk999 said
Not too sure about that Ghost. The whole story is that Jesus was referring to sexual immorality which defiles ones body. I would think that Jesus would be on the same page as Paul regarding exercise. Regarding ones health, Jesus and the Apostles said [off the top of my head ]
- dont over eat
- eat everything
- take an occasional drink of alcohol
- work hard
- pray for h ...[text shortened]... s could be taken to another extreme by ignoring good commonsense about ones health which is foolish.
It was a little tongue in cheek.

c

Moves
08 Jul 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
It was a little tongue in cheek.
What do you mean by that?

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
08 Jul 19
1 edit

@chaney3 said
What do you mean by that?
I was only half serious.

(Did you follow the link? )

c

Moves
08 Jul 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I was only half serious.

(Did you follow the link? )
Which part were you serious about?

Keeping in mind, of course, that millions of people are seriously neglecting their health by laziness, cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, horrible diets...etc.

It's an important issue that doesn't need more excuses...especially from the bible.

You are in the field of health care and should appreciate the problem. What if the bible suggested to neglect mental health?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
08 Jul 19

@chaney3 said

Keeping in mind, of course, that millions of people are seriously neglecting their health by laziness, cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, horrible diets...etc.

It's an important issue that doesn't need more excuses...especially from the bible.

You are in the field of health care and should appreciate the problem. What if the bible suggested to neglect mental health?
I think you left out the most important reason why some people are in bad health - stupidity. Plus you must be referring to advanced developed countries like the US.

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
08 Jul 19

@chaney3 said

I was tiggled by the web page I linked to, providing the top 10 health tips from Jesus.

I don't think the Bible should be anyone's first choice as a guide to exercise and healthy living. It also doesn't really give us much in regards to mental health.