1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulƤrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    23 Jul '09 04:35
    Is it coincidence that the id number of this forum is 23?! šŸ˜²
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91921
    23 Jul '09 04:39
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Is it coincidence that the id number of this forum is 23?! šŸ˜²
    in a random no. generator of numbers between 1 and 100 the number 23 comes up more than other.
    So I've heard. I've also heard some different theories as to why but I'm not sold on any of them.
    But no, I doubt its a coincidencešŸ˜‰
  3. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    23 Jul '09 09:12
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Is it coincidence that the id number of this forum is 23?! šŸ˜²
    What is special about 23?
  4. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    23 Jul '09 09:132 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    in a random no. generator of numbers between 1 and 100 the number 23 comes up more than other.
    So I've heard. I've also heard some different theories as to why but I'm not sold on any of them.
    But no, I doubt its a coincidencešŸ˜‰
    That may be true of some particular random number generators but certainly not all of them. Also as the forum ids are probably sequential this particular case has nothing to do with random numbers.

    Why do you think it is not coincidence? Surely you must accept that co-incidences not only occur but their not occurring regularly would itself be either an extraordinary coincidence or sign of deliberate interference.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91921
    23 Jul '09 09:55
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That may be true of some particular random number generators but certainly not all of them. Also as the forum ids are probably sequential this particular case has nothing to do with random numbers.

    Why do you think it is not coincidence? Surely you must accept that co-incidences not only occur but their not occurring regularly would itself be either an extraordinary coincidence or sign of deliberate interference.
    1.like I siad it comes up more than other numbers. I think it is a significant number for numerologists . I think its a 'trancendent number' for some other 'occultists'
    Was a significant number for me when I was youger but I am not held by those spells anymore.

    2.I think I meant to answer yes it could be a coincidence, but that didn't make sense.Was it a coincidence for you?
    I was tinking about like how accidents are not accidents and coincidences are not coincidences....
    (I'm on the boil today, if I have trouble reading my own posts then maybe I should give up. Or maybe just slow down.)
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    14522
    23 Jul '09 10:11
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    1.like I siad it comes up more than other numbers. I think it is a significant number for numerologists . I think its a 'trancendent number' for some other 'occultists'
    Was a significant number for me when I was youger but I am not held by those spells anymore.

    2.I think I meant to answer yes it could be a coincidence, but that didn't make sense.Was ...[text shortened]... I have trouble reading my own posts then maybe I should give up. Or maybe just slow down.)
    Boil not, keep up roastingšŸ˜µ
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulƤrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    23 Jul '09 10:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What is special about 23?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_Enigma
  8. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    23 Jul '09 10:49
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_Enigma
    But that suggests only that there is always a connection, making the actual number 23 for the forum id not even a coincidence (as there is nothing special about the number in particular).
  9. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    23 Jul '09 10:52
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    1.like I siad it comes up more than other numbers.
    You said it does in some random number generators - you didn't say that it does in general.(it doesn't in general).

    I heard that there are more Friday 13ths in most years than there are Friday (any other date). Of course there are exactly the same number of Thursday 12ths as well.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulƤrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    23 Jul '09 10:54
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But that suggests only that there is always a connection, making the actual number 23 for the forum id not even a coincidence (as there is nothing special about the number in particular).
    Consider the name of the forum and the lucky, unlucky, sacred, sinister or strange qualities attributed to 23 ...
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91921
    23 Jul '09 11:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You said it does in some random number generators - you didn't say that it does in general.(it doesn't in general).

    I heard that there are more Friday 13ths in most years than there are Friday (any other date). Of course there are exactly the same number of Thursday 12ths as well.
    "(it doesn't in general)"

    Now just hold on there. What do you mean it doesn't in general?
    What does come up in general? Surely only that which your mind remembers . Therefore it is up to the individual observer as to what 'comes up'. Or do you have a diifferent take on this?
  12. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    23 Jul '09 11:36
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Consider the name of the forum and the lucky, unlucky, sacred, sinister or strange qualities attributed to 23 ...
    But there are other forums and other numbers that are considered lucky/unlucky, and so far the only qualities you have attributed to 23 is a fairly obscure reference (the number is nowhere near as popularly supersticious as say 4,5,7,8,10,12 or 13) and according to that one reference nearly any number would do anyway so long as one can find a connection of some sort to 23.
    Now if it was 666 I might reconsider ....
  13. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    23 Jul '09 11:44
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    "(it doesn't in general)"

    Now just hold on there. What do you mean it doesn't in general?
    What does come up in general? Surely only that which your mind remembers . Therefore it is up to the individual observer as to what 'comes up'. Or do you have a diifferent take on this?
    Well if that is your take then of course your favorite set of supersticious numbers will 'come up' most often.
    However you have subtly changed the meaning of 'come up' since your earlier claim:
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    in a random no. generator of numbers between 1 and 100 the number 23 comes up more than other.

    Or did the person who told you that sit there watching the random numbers poping out and only remembered 23 coming up the most?

    And the reason for my claim is that it is fairly trivial to notice that the vast majority of numbers that 'occur' are smaller numbers - for example when writing a list of dates with the month and day, you will have twice as many numbers between 1 and 12 as you would numbers 13-31.
    Looking around me I see the date, time, temperature, age ratings on movies, numbers on my keyboard etc. Yes I know the date today is 23 and no I don't think that is a coincidence.
  14. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    23 Jul '09 11:48
    To illustrate just how common apparent coincidences are, look at the time field on the posts in this thread. I see: 55, 11, 11, 00 and 44. Isn't it interesting how often the digits match?
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulƤrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    23 Jul '09 12:031 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes I know the date today is 23 and no I don't think that is a coincidence.
    Didn't think of that! But the fact that we're discussing 23 on the 23rd is a coincidence. What do you understand by coincidence, anyway? To me it's just a chance happening. (You might not get the joke about 23 being the number of the Spirituality forum, but the coincidence amused me.)
Back to Top