1. Joined
    10 May '10
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 21:27
    One of the most important christian holiday is 25 december, the supposed day of birth of Jesus Christ .... BUT IS NOT THEN!!!! It was declared by church around 300 BC to coincide with other existing festivities worshiping the sun, more exactly the winter solstice. And from that time...all the christians make a lot of fuss around this "stolen" date.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 21:59
    Originally posted by danielnovacovici
    One of the most important christian holiday is 25 december, the supposed day of birth of Jesus Christ .... BUT IS NOT THEN!!!! It was declared by church around 300 BC to coincide with other existing festivities worshiping the sun, more exactly the winter solstice. And from that time...all the christians make a lot of fuss around this "stolen" date.
    So do you think we should change it?
    I don't. Its such a long time ago that it has become mainly symbolic and coinciding with New Years Eve and the other days off for winter/summer holidays.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 22:36
    Do you belong to the Jehovah Witness Organisation?
  4. Joined
    10 May '10
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 22:45
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Do you belong to the Jehovah Witness Organisation?
    Is this a joke question?...you can read my posts and is obvious to whom I belong.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 22:481 edit
    Is this a joke question?...you can read my posts and is obvious to whom I belong.
    If it was obvious I would not ask a question. I asked becuase your post is the kind a JW would make. So are you a JW or not?
  6. Joined
    10 May '10
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 22:51
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So do you think we should change it?
    I don't. Its such a long time ago that it has become mainly symbolic and coinciding with New Years Eve and the other days off for winter/summer holidays.
    I don't think we should change it...I think christians should recognize that one of the headstone of their religious system is a fake event imposed by the church only to get more proselytes.
  7. Joined
    10 May '10
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 22:52
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    If it was obvious I would not ask a question. I asked becuase your post is the kind a JW would make. So are you a JW or not?
    nope
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 22:59
    I don't think we should change it...I think christians should recognize that one of the headstone of their religious system is a fake event imposed by the church only to get more proselytes.
    I seriously doubt that any Christian actually believes that Dec 25th is the actually day that Christ was born. Everyone Im sure knows that its just the day that Christ's birthday is celebrated simply because nobody knows the correct date.

Do you mind explaining why you are making a big deal of the date. Do you have a good reason for nitpicking? Or have you proof that Christians believe it is Christ date of birth?
  9. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 23:00
    It is not the supposed birthday of Jesus; it's the day we celebrate his birth. We could celebrate it on the fourth of July or cinco de Mayo or Bastille Day or Canada Day or Tet or my birthday. How close or far the date of his birth and the date of its celebration are irrelevant. And no, it wasn't declared 300 years before he was born.
  10. Joined
    10 May '10
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 23:03
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    It is not the supposed birthday of Jesus; it's the day we celebrate his birth. We could celebrate it on the fourth of July or cinco de Mayo or Bastille Day or Canada Day or Tet or my birthday. How close or far the date of his birth and the date of its celebration are irrelevant. And no, it wasn't declared 300 years before he was born.
    Sorry, my mistake, not BC but AC.
  11. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 23:071 edit
    Sorry, my mistake, not BC but AC.
    A.D. or C.E.

Yes, the date was "declared" many years after the fact. Any date could have been selected. The point was to recognize the significance of his birth to humanity.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 23:22
    Many people depend on many fake events around the world to support their world views. Lets not shatter their illusions😀
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '10 08:44
    is the event celebrated then in any way diminished because it's not 25th december but 7 january or whatever?

it is a convention: once a year we celebrate the birth of our savior and very good guy, jesus. who cares exactly when its celebrated as long as its on the same day so i don't have to be surprised?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Aug '10 10:41
    That is a strawman argument.
    As various people have pointed out, nobody believes that Jesus was born on the 25th.
    Further, Christmas is not, and never has been 'the headstone of their religious system'.
    As far as events go, most Christians put more stock in Easter.
    Both events have since gained significant non-Christian trappings from other traditions and beliefs.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Aug '10 11:35
    Twhitehead is exactly right. Christmas is not, nor has it ever been, the major feast day in the liturgical calendar. Easter Sunday is the supreme feast. I will also point out however that the date of any feast day can be subject to change. Even with Easter, there is a major discrepancy between Western and Eastern Christians with the day of celebration. So there is nothing particularly significant about the day of December 25 -- it is not "declared" and it could theoretically be changed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree