1. Maryland
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 21:02
    If we were made via intelligent design, how come the majority of people need 3rd molars removed?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 23:05
    Originally posted by 667joe
    If we were made via intelligent design, how come the majority of people need 3rd molars removed?
    Work in progress?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 23:23
    Do we have any Dentist here that can answer this?
    I have mine, but my wife had two removed because they
    had become abscessed. So maybe that is the answer.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Apr '11 23:45
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Do we have any Dentist here that can answer this?
    I have mine, but my wife had two removed because they
    had become abscessed. So maybe that is the answer.
    I naturally thought that you would consult wikipedia for an answer.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 00:14
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I forgot about that. Does wikipedia give the answer?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 00:18
    Here is a link that gives the answer.

http://www.calweb.com/~goldman/third_molars.html
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 00:18

8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 00:22
    One of the many square wheels in the intelligent engineering handbooks.
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 00:27
    Originally posted by RJHinds

It doesn't give a reason as to why your God "intelligently designed" them in the first place
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 00:28
    The other thing is that we have poor diets. Some teeth will be lost even with a healthy diet,(because all physical systems break down), but I assume most dental problems are accosiated with the high sugar content of modern western diets.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 00:30
    P'haps "intelligent design" isn't perfect. I think some christians imply that "Gods" work is perfect, but it may well just be good intstead of necessarily perfect.
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 00:412 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    P'haps "intelligent design" isn't perfect. I think some christians imply that "Gods" work is perfect, but it may well just be good intstead of necessarily perfect.
    But are they even a 'good idea' (as opposed to perfect or optimal)? It seems to me, in a design sense, as good an idea as packing a bridge with dynamite with the assumption it will never detonate.

I've got a couple of menacing looking wisdom teeth having a mosey around my mouth right now - and if they elect to get a better view, the little bastids are going to bully my entire bottom row! one of the x-rays looks like:

good tooth
    ````````````wisdom
    `___``.___```tooth
    /````-`.``.\```_
    \``````.`.`/`./
    .| `````.`.|``\
    .|````````|._/
    `\``./\```//
    `.|..|`|``|.\
    ``\_/`.\_/```
    ````````````````

🙁
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 00:48
    Just to address this point seriously, I think I will just point out that 667joe has misrepresented what theists generally mean if they talk about intelligent design. Intelligent design does not entail that every part of a creature has been designed for maximal utility. It may turn out that aliquo mutato, man would function better (i.e. if he had third molars.) Intelligent design as a scientific hypothesis simply claims that some stages of evolution are not explicable in purely materialistic theory, that is, some biological features are 'functionally complex'. Perhaps God could have made man better but this isn't really the point of intelligent design (and, anyway, Christianity which affirms that death occurred as a result of sin, isn't committed to the idea that man must be perfect; perfection was taken away as a result of sin.)
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 00:56
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    God made them perfect all right, its that we disobeyed God and did
    not keep them perfect. Why do you blame God for something you did?
    Do your part and go to the dentist and take your kids often. That
    will help a little, even though, we have already done the damage.
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 01:074 edits
    Just to address this point seriously, I think I will just point out that 667joe has misrepresented what theists generally mean if they talk about intelligent design. Intelligent design does not entail that every part of a creature has been designed for maximal utility. It may turn out that aliquo mutato, man would function better (i.e. if he had thir mmitted to the idea that man must be perfect; perfection was taken away as a result of sin.)
    and, anyway, Christianity which affirms that death occurred as a result of sin, isn't committed to the idea that man must be perfect; perfection was taken away as a result of sin
    I might be mistaken here but don't they affirm that we fail to be perfect in a moralistic sense as opposed to a mechanical sense? Moreover may of the theists that I converse with on these boards will not even acknowledge that any component of God's designs could be sub-optimal (or that it's characteristics could be sub-perfect)

sorry, couldn't parse the meaning, even in context, behind aliquo mutato, specifically the "aliquo" part (I can guess mutato is mutation or change)...neither google translate or search are any use

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree