1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 01:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    If the universe has always existed, and there is no God?????

but we know that the universe has not always existed, making an premise of this basis,
    completely without foundation. In fact, the very fact that secular science has now
    concluded that the universe had a beginning throws up all sorts of interesting questions
    and gives more credenc ...[text shortened]...
    the beginning', is now a valid scientifically established and seemingly accurate statement.
    Science hasn't proven a beginning. Even if there was a "beginning" it can't be proven that it can be approached because there is no smallest measure of time... it is infinitesimal. In other words, there is no such thing as "zero hour" as time keeps on ticking at an immeasurably minute amount.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 02:141 edit
    Science hasn't proven a beginning.

The big bang theory predicts a beginning, does it not?

Even if there was a "beginning" it can't be proven that it can be approached because there is no smallest measure of time... it is infinitesimal. In other words, there is no such thing as "zero hour" as time keeps on ticking at an immeasurably minute amount.

Isn't this just Zeno's paradox of Achilles and the Tortoise. If so, it was answered many centuries, if not millennia ago? Just because we have an infinite series doesn't mean it can't converge.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 11:541 edit
    Originally posted by amolv06
    [b]Science hasn't proven a beginning.

The big bang theory predicts a beginning, does it not?

Even if there was a "beginning" it can't be proven that it can be approached because there is no smallest measure of time... it is infinitesimal. In other words, there is no such thing as "zero hour" as time keeps on ticking at an immeasurably minute amo ...[text shortened]... lennia ago? Just because we have an infinite series doesn't mean it can't converge.[/b]
    Actually I would disagree on the first point, the big bang is a beginning [of the visible universe] it may not however be THE beginning...
    and such a thing might not exist at all.

However the second point is patently ridiculous and is indeed one of Zeno's paradoxes.
    Also Time is thought to be granular and thus have a smallest unit. (although the jury is still out on if time even exists, let alone what it is)
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 11:59
    what a piece of nonsense, do you really want me to look up all the instances where
    religious person who have been motivated primarily because of their religious
    convictions have fomented change is society, from improvements in hospitals and
    prisons to the abolishment of slavery, no, well give up your prejudices and face facts.
    Perhaps we sho ...[text shortened]... d more ignorance than the meanest medieval church could
    hope for. All hail the God of Science.
    I find it interesting that you class everything people say to you that you disagree with as total nonsense,
    before completely misunderstanding it, and then spouting a load of nonsense yourself.

Watch these and learn.

http://atheistexperience.blogspot.com/2010/10/matts-superiority-of-secular-morality.html

YouTube&feature=channel_video_title
  5. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 02:39
    All hail the God of Science.
    oh, missed this one. sorry, we don't have any faith in hermes either. but you can worship him if you like, maybe he'll offer you some scientific enlightenment... you never know until you try.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree