1. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 07:314 edits
    I once again provide an article for the spiritual refreshment of members of this community.

Eldar Nebolsin of Uzbekistan is an internationally acclaimed pianist. He has played as a soloist with orchestras in London, Moscow, St. Petersburg, New York, Paris, Rome, Sydney, Tokyo, and Vienna. Eldar grew up in the Soviet Union as an atheist. But later he concluded that humans are the work of a loving Creator. Awake! asked him about his music and his faith.

It’s obvious that you have a deep love for music.

For me, music is the language that most directly expresses and evokes feelings that are difficult, if not impossible, to communicate in words.

What aroused your interest in spiritual matters?

Our house was always full of books, which my father brought from Moscow. A book that especially interested me contained Bible stories about the dawn of history and the experiences of the Israelites. Another book I came across was You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth, published by Jehovah’s Witnesses. * Its clear presentation of Bible teachings fascinated me. When I moved to Spain in 1991 to study music, I took that book with me and read it several times. I discovered a faith based not merely on emotion but also on sound reasoning and convincing evidence.

A teaching that really intrigued me was the Bible’s promise that humans can live forever on earth. That made so much sense! I might add that I still had not met Jehovah’s Witnesses. But I resolved that when I did meet them, I would ask for Bible lessons.

How did you meet the Witnesses?

A few days after I made that mental resolution, I saw two ladies, each with a Bible in hand. ‘They look like the people I’ve read about in my book,’ I thought. ‘They are preaching just as Christians did in Bible times.’ Soon, I was studying the Bible with a Witness. Today, my greatest joy is helping others to learn about our Creator.

What convinced you, a former atheist, to believe in a Creator?

Music itself did. Almost everybody appreciates music, and in a way that no animal can. Music can express joy, confidence, tenderness, and almost every other emotion. We naturally move to the rhythms in music. But is music necessary for our survival? Does it play a role in the “survival of the fittest,” as evolutionists teach? I think not. In my view, it’s unreasonable to conclude that the human brain, with its ability to create and appreciate music like that of Mozart and Beethoven, is the product of evolution. A far more reasonable explanation is that our brain is the product of a wise and loving Creator.

jw.org
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 10:142 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I once again provide an article for the spiritual refreshment of members of this community.

Eldar Nebolsin of Uzbekistan is an internationally acclaimed pianist. He has played as a soloist with orchestras in London, Moscow, St. Petersburg, New York, Paris, Rome, Sydney, Tokyo, and Vienna. Eldar grew up in the Soviet Union as an atheist. But later ...[text shortened]... reasonable explanation is that our brain is the product of a wise and loving Creator.

jw.org
    'What convinced you, a former atheist, to believe in a Creator?

Music itself did. Almost everybody appreciates music, and in a way that no animal can. Music can express joy, confidence, tenderness, and almost every other emotion. We naturally move to the rhythms in music. But is music necessary for our survival? Does it play a role in the “survival of the fittest,” as evolutionists teach? I think not. In my view, it’s unreasonable to conclude that the human brain, with its ability to create and appreciate music like that of Mozart and Beethoven, is the product of evolution. A far more reasonable explanation is that our brain is the product of a wise and loving Creator.'

Sorry Robbie, i tried to read that objectively but that really is the weakest argument for belief in God i have ever heard. - What we really need is Jeremy Paxman to ask this guy "dude, are you frigging serious?" rather that 'Awake' with their loaded and leading interview technique.

So while this guy was an atheist he had never listened to music right? Then one day he heard some music for the first time (let's say Madonna's Get into the Groove) and suddenly he realised, 'Whoa, there must be a creator.' (And this was further confirmed when he realised his pet hamster didn't appreciate the music as much as he did).
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 10:561 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

Eldar Nebolsin of Uzbekistan is an internationally acclaimed pianist. He has played as a soloist with orchestras in London, Moscow, St. Petersburg, New York, Paris, Rome, Sydney, Tokyo, and Vienna. Eldar grew up in the Soviet Union as an atheist. But later ...[text shortened]... reasonable explanation is that our brain is the product of a wise and loving Creator.

jw.org
    I didn't agree with much of this until I read 'I think not'.

A refreshingly honest admission.

🙂
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 12:11
    I misread the title.

I thought, in what way is it a classical one?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 14:42
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I didn't agree with much of this until I read 'I think not'.

A refreshingly honest admission.

🙂
    More refreshing than a Pimms No1 with crushed ice, lemonade and a smattering of summer fruits while watching England rip through the Aussies top order at Lords 😀
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 14:43
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    'What convinced you, a former atheist, to believe in a Creator?

Music itself did. Almost everybody appreciates music, and in a way that no animal can. Music can express joy, confidence, tenderness, and almost every other emotion. We naturally move to the rhythms in music. But is music necessary for our survival? Does it play a role in the “surviv ...[text shortened]... rther confirmed when he realised his pet hamster didn't appreciate the music as much as he did).
    Gee thats bitter.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree