A False Sense of Security

A False Sense of Security

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
If I say that I am in fact severely anorexic almost all the time other than when I am eating, I imagine you might feel that for the label to be properly used I would need to be somebody who stopped eating rather longer than the intervals between meals. Even if I stopped eating for a few days you might deem the label misplaced if there were extreme circumstances to explain the behavioural change such as being on my deathbed?
This is supposed to be, in some way, an analogy for religious belief?

SRB

Moves
05 Jul 20

@fmf said
I think it is relevant and you should elaborate. You did not appear to be describing a "religious conversion on the deathbed" at all. Like BigDoggProblem suggested, it seems you do not know what religious faith is. You were describing something different... "believing any old thing on the deathbed ... because there is no god watching". How is this a "conversion"?
You are now transgressing a boundary that I have made around a personal matter. I am surprised that you would do that and tell somebody that they 'should elaborate' about a personal and emotional issue after they have made their limits clear. This does not make me feel I am in a conversation with somebody with the relevant ethics for the subject matter so I will leave.

F

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
You are now transgressing a boundary that I have made around a personal matter. I am surprised that you would do that and tell somebody that they 'should elaborate' about a personal and emotional issue after they have made their limits clear. This does not make me feel I am in a conversation with somebody with the relevant ethics for the subject matter so I will leave.
You offered an example of "religious conversion on the deathbed" but it seems pretty clear it is nothing of the sort.

This is what you posted:

Because the question of 'why?' doesn't really work if the purpose of the sentence was to illustrate the thesis I was putting forward, that atheism would really make what you say or do at the end irrelevant since it can have no implications for what is to come if there is in fact nothing else to come. I.e. doing, saying and believing any old thing on the deathbed is compatible with a preceding life of atheism, since you might just as well think and believe whatever gives you comfort and security. There is no god watching or listening and planning which floor of hell you get and whether you get a sea view or a balcony based on whatever thoughts you allow to comfort your mind.

It's just a really poor example.

How is asking you about it "transgressing a boundary"?

F

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
This does not make me feel I am in a conversation with somebody with the relevant ethics for the subject matter so I will leave.
"Ethics"?

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
You have not experienced the third degree interrogation tactics by FMF before? You better steer clear of this persona because it will relentlessly continue to pry into you as long as you respond it.

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
Atheism is not a religion so I imagine that when you are seconds, minutes or even days away from death and the mind does not have a sense of security offered by religion it is more likely to come up with some of the weirder manoeuvres that the mind can come up with in awkward situations and deathbed conversion may be one such thing.
This may be the case and is a fair point, but it is not representative of the assertion you made which was that “true atheists” would turn to god on their deathbed. Which I think Im safe in saying that everyone here in this forum would acknowledge as being complete nonsense.

Except you it seems.

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
Because the question of 'why?' doesn't really work if the purpose of the sentence was to illustrate the thesis I was putting forward, that atheism would really make what you say or do at the end irrelevant since it can have no implications for what is to come if there is in fact nothing else to come. I.e. doing, saying and believing any old thing on the deathbed is compatibl ...[text shortened]... stated I believe there are balconies in hell. I suspect there are simply spirituality forums there.
This is now becoming embarrassing for you I think.

Moves
05 Jul 20

@kegge said
You have not experienced the third degree interrogation tactics by FMF before? You better steer clear of this persona because it will relentlessly continue to pry into you as long as you respond it.
This is a debate and discussion forum where the back and forth cut and thrust give and take exchanges around strongly held views often make interesting reading. If RHP members don’t like debate they should stick to the ‘what’s your favourite colour?’ type of threads in the general forum.

SRB

Moves
05 Jul 20

@divegeester said
This may be the case and is a fair point, but it is not representative of the assertion you made which was that “true atheists” would turn to god on their deathbed. Which I think Im safe in saying that everyone here in this forum would acknowledge as being complete nonsense.

Except you it seems.
Not only a fair point but the whole point I was making. The other rather clumsy sentence was to illustrate the point by saying that apparent deathbed conversion may well simply be symptomatic of the person truly still being an atheist.

I shall have to chose my words more carefully but perhaps feeling like I am back at work isn't something I seek and I have misunderstood the function of social media. I seem to be looking for a conversation in the pub which is thankfully returning. Asking people their favourite colour over a beer.

SRB

Moves
05 Jul 20

@divegeester said
This is now becoming embarrassing for you I think.
I do sometimes find these social media conversations embarrassing.

Moves
05 Jul 20

@divegeester said
This is a debate and discussion forum where the back and forth cut and thrust give and take exchanges around strongly held views often make interesting reading. If RHP members don’t like debate they should stick to the ‘what’s your favourite colour?’ type of threads in the general forum.
Look, here we have FMF's left hand. While FMF uses his right hand to jerk off, his left hand is up his ass.

F

Moves
05 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
I shall have to chose my words more carefully but perhaps feeling like I am back at work isn't something I seek and I have misunderstood the function of social media. I seem to be looking for a conversation in the pub which is thankfully returning. Asking people their favourite colour over a beer.
Well, you found a friend in Kegge. He may not want to talk about people's favourite colour but he does seem to want talk about people masturbating. So, look on the bright side.

SRB

Moves
05 Jul 20

@fmf said
Well, you found a friend in Kegge. He may not want to talk about people's favourite colour but he does seem to want talk about people masturbating. So, look on the bright side.
Looks like Kegge and me also don't always pick the best language whilst making valid observations, this could work.

F

Moves
05 Jul 20
1 edit

@petewxyz said
Looks like Kegge and me also don't always pick the best language whilst making valid observations, this could work.
The way I see it, I don't think you made any valid observations. You don't seem to know what religious belief is. You don't seem to know what atheism is. You don't seem to know what religious conversion is. And it's not clear you know what "ethics" means. So. There we have it. One last thing. What IS your favourite colour?

SRB

Moves
05 Jul 20

@fmf said
The way I see it, I don't think you made any valid observations. You don't seem to know what religious belief is. You don't seem to know what atheism is. You don't seem to know what religious conversion is. And it's not clear you know what "ethics" means. So. There we have it. One last thing. What IS your favourite colour?
I think you also probably believe your observations are valid. I would imagine with great certainty.

It was divegeester who introduced favourite colours, ask him.