1. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 03:50
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    1)Why did God choose Abraham to enter into a covenant with?
    2)Were Abraham's contemporary cultures indeed decadent and 'sinful'?
    3a)Why did Abraham marry his wife Sarah to powerful rulers of his time, twice?
    3b) If he was threatened and found his life was at risk, how can we explain the fact that he profited from Sarah's adventures by receiving ha ...[text shortened]... aven't finished the research: these will do for now.

Thanks in advance for any infomation.
    I'll take a stab at these frogo!

1) Why did God choose Abraham? I'm thinking maybe...Why Not?
    God may just as well have waited a few more thousand years and picked some dude from Iceland, challenging him to simply listen and believe in God by faith. Whoever He chose was to become the Father of the 'chosen' people. This people, whether ultimately Hebrew, Icelandic or Jamaican would be used to introduce God's offer of redemption to the whole world.

2)Yes, all cultures since Cain killed his brother, have been decadent and sinful. (All cultures have had chess players haven't they?)

3) Abraham blew it! He let his fear override (uh-oh, now I'm all nervous about being caught in a misssspeliinng) his faith. But in the end, his final decision regarding God was to simply believe Him, and it was this that was 'credited to him as righteousness.'

3b)The King thus fooled by Abe, was confronted by God (No atheism there!), and figured he was getting off cheap by paying of Aby Baby.

3c) The age old problem that I've seen in my own life...Like Father, like son! We learn both good and bad from dear old Dad, and we teach right and wrons to daughters and sons. (Ooops, I think my rating just went down the tubes!)

4) The prophets use the mandrake the same way we do. When they meet on the street they give each other a hardy mandrake. Some prophets were known for their good firm mandrake, while others had kind of a limp fish mandr...Oh, I thought you said handshake!
    I have no idea bud.
  2. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 10:26
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Their wives never had sex with the kings. And it was a way of getting the forefathers--and subsequently the Hebrews--as a people started off.
    what do you make of the Genesis story of Abimelech , the 2nd of the rulers that wanted Sarah, considering her advanced years?
  3. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 10:43
    Originally posted by chinking58
    I'll take a stab at these frogo!

1) Why did God choose Abraham? I'm thinking maybe...Why Not?
    God may just as well have waited a few more thousand years and picked some dude from Iceland, challenging him to simply listen and believe in God by faith. Whoever He chose was to become the Father of the 'chosen' people. This people, whether ultimatel ...[text shortened]... others had kind of a limp fish mandr...Oh, I thought you said handshake!
    I have no idea bud.
    follow-ups for your answers

1) Do you think Moses staff had the juice to part the sea all the way from Egypt to either Iceland or Jamica?
    2) do you think Cain's parents were pretty decadent since we are still being punished for their sin?
    3) How difficult is it to believe in a god that actually talks to you from the sky? please no psychology 101
    a - you might take a stab at guessing Sarah's age when God had to rescue her from the amorous advances of Abimelech.
    4) heck I thought you were talking about peyote
  4. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 13:10
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    follow-ups for your answers

1) Do you think Moses staff had the juice to part the sea all the way from Egypt to either Iceland or Jamica?
    2) do you think Cain's parents were pretty decadent since we are still being punished for their sin?
    3) How difficult is it to believe in a god that actually talks to you from the sky? please no psych ...[text shortened]... from the amorous advances of Abimelech.
    4) heck I thought you were talking about peyote
    1) I guess I'll stop assuming you might be doing real 'research' (sincere seeking)and start concluding that you're playing games here.

2) Yes, A & E established decadence in themselves, and in their offspring. It is postulated by some that if they had resolved in their hearts to trust God's prohibition against eating that particular fruit, (God would certainly be able to know that), then we would have THAT nature, and still be living in (an ever increasing) Eden, walking in fellowship with God, as they did.
    Praise God that He made a way to redeem the rest of us from that state! Individually frogo, we can choose to have that nature removed, and start fresh! First Corinthians 15: 22
    "For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive."

3) I don't believe God talks to me from the sky. What's up with this 'sky' thing anyway? The Bible say that God is a spirit, and that we are made in His image; we are spirit. God can 'speak' to you, spirit to spirit. The question is, will you listen?

Let me ask you a question: What if...all of the good claims about God are TRUE? So many people seem so determined to prove them wrong, or find some excuse not to accept the reality of God, but they don't even allow themselves the chance to spend their short lives WITH God, instead of fighting God away. Why is that? Ooops, I guess that's two questions isn't it? Uh-oh, now that's three.

3)I can't guess Sarai's age (her name was changed later I think), but I can guess that she was one HOT Mama!
  5. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 14:133 edits
    Originally posted by chinking58
    1) I guess I'll stop assuming you might be doing real 'research' (sincere seeking)and start concluding that you're playing games here.

2) Yes, A & E established decadence in themselves, and in their offspring. It is postulated by ...[text shortened]... anged later I think), but I can guess that she was one HOT Mama!
    !) assume what you wish,,that's part of the project ,,so thanks
    2) since A&E had no way of knowing good from evil until they ate the fruit, how could that be a sin in the first place?
    3)You might not believe God talks to you , but Abram did and from the sky.

There are other possible realities of God than the Ethnocentric god of Abram ,but that is as I said in my original post , part of a different project.

you should wait til Darfius estimates Sarah's age before you say that.
    and her two names are interchangable like Abram is with Abraham
  6. redbridge/southamptn
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 16:14
    al i no is that abraham was 1 of many who god favoured that much("friend of god"šŸ˜‰that he alowed him 2 break 1 of his ever so precious 10 comandments (U MUST NOT COMIT ADUTERY)B4 most of the events u r on about tok place-no smal print/or special conditions alowed. but severly punishes others(king david & his inocent son)4 the same broken comandment. so that is al u ned 2 no. 07859344451/02380909557/sj-ewj5@hotmail.co.uk
  7. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 20:03
    Originally posted by sophie jew jackson
    al i no is that abraham was 1 of many who god favoured that much("friend of god"šŸ˜‰that he alowed him 2 break 1 of his ever so precious 10 comandments (U MUST NOT COMIT ADUTERY)B4 most of the events u r on about tok place-no smal print/or special conditions alowed. but severly punishes others(king david & his inocent son)4 the same broken comandment. so that is al u ned 2 no. 07859344451/02380909557/sj-ewj5@hotmail.co.uk
    Abraham did not break the ten commandments. They were not given until Moses.
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 20:46
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    Abraham did not break the ten commandments. They were not given until Moses.
    If God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, then the 10
    Commandments have always existed, which means Abraham broke
    them.

Are you telling me that God never established a moral law until Moses?
    Murder was permissible in the sight of God?

Nemesio

P.S., Don't forget 'The Gospels' thread. I've responded to two of your
    posts there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree