A few bible  questions

A few bible questions

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
07 Apr 05

1)Why did God choose Abraham to enter into a covenant with?
2)Were Abraham's contemporary cultures indeed decadent and 'sinful'?
3a)Why did Abraham marry his wife Sarah to powerful rulers of his time, twice?
3b) If he was threatened and found his life was at risk, how can we explain the fact that he profited from Sarah's adventures by receiving handsome dowries and rich presents in both cases?
3c)Why did Isaac try to repeat the same act?
4) In what manner did the Prophets use mandrake?

At some point I intend to inquire about the origins of Genesis, however, since I haven't finished the research: these will do for now.

Thanks in advance for any infomation.

j

Moves
07 Apr 05

some of those are not really bible questions, they are more questions about God's will and character. any human answer would be speculation we just have to trust that he knows what he is doing.

the bible isn't meant to be easy to understand. the nature of knowledge is that it can't be just shared freely - the recipient must apply reason and thought to the information given and in doing so will gain more wisdom and a better understanding. Educationalists have known this for the last 40 years or so, Jesus knew it 2000 years ago hence the parables and riddles. the people of the time who listened to him often didn't understand until later and some who didn't put the effort in just dismissed his teachings and walked away.

in my experience, dedicate time in thought and prayer and god shows you want you want to know pretty quickly.

Lord Chook

Stringybark

Moves
08 Apr 05

Originally posted by jordy81
the bible isn't meant to be easy to understand. the nature of knowledge is that it can't be just shared freely - the recipient must apply reason and thought to the information given and in doing so will gain more wisdom and a better understanding. Educationalists have known this for the last 40 years or so...

I think not. The best teachers are those that impart knowledge through clear and plain communication that imparts meaning. Jesus appeared to do this quite well in some of his parables, but most of the Bible is contradictory, verbose, rubbish.

Why shouldn't the Bible be easily understood? God is omnipotent, he should whip out a new translation that is clear, concise and contains no contradictory statements. That would give a message to the world.

The Apologist

Moves
08 Apr 05
1 edit

1)Why did God choose Abraham to enter into a covenant with?

Exact reasons are unknown. Most likely because God knew Abraham would be the most faithful to Him. And He knew Abraham's line would be mighty.

2)Were Abraham's contemporary cultures indeed decadent and 'sinful'?

Yes. Weird question.

3a)Why did Abraham marry his wife Sarah to powerful rulers of his time, twice?

Because Sarah was beautiful and Abram would have been killed. Also, when God warned the men, they let Sarah go and gave Abram material goods, so I suppose it was God's roundabout way of taking care of Abraham for his life.

3b) If he was threatened and found his life was at risk, how can we explain the fact that he profited from Sarah's adventures by receiving handsome dowries and rich presents in both cases?

The men gave Abram these to appease his God.

3c)Why did Isaac try to repeat the same act?

Because he didn't want to be killed for his wife. Also, it turned out he was blessed for it.

4) In what manner did the Prophets use mandrake?

I believe to induce fertility.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
08 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Darfius
[b]1)Why did God choose Abraham to enter into a covenant with?

Exact reasons are unknown. Most likely because God knew Abraham would be the most faithful to Him. And He knew Abraham's line would be mighty.

2)Were Abraham's ...[text shortened]... Prophets use mandrake?

I believe to induce fertility.

[/b]
So, what you are saying is God was rewarding them for cowardice, and their willingness to let their wives pay for their lives.

The Apologist

Moves
08 Apr 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
So, what you are saying is God was rewarding them for cowardice, and their willingness to let their wives pay for their lives.
Their wives never had sex with the kings. And it was a way of getting the forefathers--and subsequently the Hebrews--as a people started off.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
08 Apr 05

Their wives never had sex with the kings. And it was a way of getting the forefathers--and subsequently the Hebrews--as a people started off.
Are you saying it was done for profit?

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
08 Apr 05

1)Why did God choose Abraham to enter into a covenant with?....
Interesting questions. What prompted them?

Anyhow, I believe God choose Abraham so the He could show His mercy and grace, not just to the Jews, but to the Gentiles also. For it is through the line a Abraham that Christ came. Abraham understood the gospel, and believed it by faith, and all those after who also believed would be blessed.
so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith. (Gal 3:14 ESV)

Now the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say, "And to offsprings," referring to many, but referring to one, "And to your offspring," who is Christ. (Gal 3:16 ESV)

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
08 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Coletti
Interesting questions. What prompted them?

Anyhow, I believe God choose Abraham so the He could show His mercy and grace, not just to the Jews, but to the Gentiles also. For it is through the line a Abraham that Christ came. Abraham un ...[text shortened]... to your offspring," who is Christ. (Gal 3:16 ESV)[/quote]

I was under the impression that the Gospels were written long after Abraham and even the Scrolls that make up the Old Testament came after his time.

And Abraham's religion was very Ethnocentric far different from Christianity's view of mankind.

the questions are for research purposes
Thank you for posting.

j

Moves
08 Apr 05

Originally posted by Maustrauser

I think not. The best teachers are those that impart knowledge through clear and plain communication that imparts meaning. Jesus appeared to do this quite well in some of his parables, but most of the Bible is contradictory, verbose, rubbish.

You reckon? You reckon the old 'chalk & talk' method is better than thought-provoking learning. If Jesus, rather than speaking in parables, just said 'do this, do that, this is good, this is bad' his followers would have been more learned and wiser?

I strongly don' think so, I think there is so much more to be learned when the subject has in some way arrived at the conclusion himself. He is more likely to gain wisdom and judgement this way, whereas your method whilst he may get knowledge, that's imagine it did sink in, but I would go as far as saying knowledge without wisdom can be a dangerous thing.

you may think a lot of Jesus parables are difficult to understand but generally we are more educated and cognitively progressed than 2000 years ago, but don't worry there is a wealth of teachings in the bible and no man bar one has ever finished understanding from it.

j

Moves
08 Apr 05

Originally posted by Maustrauser

but most of the Bible is contradictory, verbose, rubbish.
would you care to entertain us with an example?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
08 Apr 05

You reckon? You reckon the old 'chalk & talk' method is better than thought-provoking learning. If Jesus, rather than speaking in parables, just said 'do this, do that, this is good, this is bad' his followers would have been more learned and wiser?

I strongly don' think so, I think there is so much more to be learned when the subject has in some ...[text shortened]... a wealth of teachings in the bible and no man bar one has ever finished understanding from it.
are there not enough threads to discuss parables in?
I would very much like to hear you're answers to my few questions as it's fairly important research
Thank you in advance.

j

Moves
08 Apr 05

are there not enough threads to discuss parables in?
I would very much like to hear you're answers to my few questions as it's fairly important research
Thank you in advance.

darfius' post seemed very reasonable. if it's 'fairly important' research then i suggest trying various different bible study tools.

if you go to http://bible.crosswalk.com/ and check 'include study tools' and then search the relevant parts of the bible you can check 3 or 4 against each other and that should give you a clearer picture.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
08 Apr 05

darfius' post seemed very reasonable. if it's 'fairly important' research then i suggest trying various different bible study tools.

if you go to http://bible.crosswalk.com/ and check 'include study tools' and then search the relevant parts of the bible you can check 3 or 4 against each other and that should give you a clearer picture.
It's actually more than just fairly ,and bible study tools are not what is needed. I didn't ask for tools for that reason and also the fact that I have more than enough study tools.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
08 Apr 05
1 edit

[b]1)Why did God choose Abraham to enter into a covenant with?
[/b]
in a follow-up to this: Do you have estimated dates for:
1)Teheh's family leaving Ur for Herat
2)Abram leaving Egyot

an estimated date of Abram's birth will suffice

sdit : btw Thanks for responding with helpful information