1. Joined
    19 Oct '03
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 17:43
    my brother is looking for a good biblical quote about persevering through hardships for a scrap book that he is making. Do any of you biblical scholars have a good quote in mind?any help would be much appreciated.
  2. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 00:34
    Originally posted by TDR1
    my brother is looking for a good biblical quote about persevering through hardships for a scrap book that he is making. Do any of you biblical scholars have a good quote in mind?any help would be much appreciated.
    john 16:33
    i (jesus) have told you these things so that you may have peace. in this world you will have tribulation. but take heart. i have overcome the world.
  3. Standard memberdeltapreacher
    El Gato Grande
    Mississippi Delta
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 01:19
    2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13b-14
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 02:47
    2 Timothy 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No man that warreth entangles himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
  5. Standard membersword4damocles
    In-Vivo Veritas
    Safe, in the womb
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 02:56
    "At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship 21 and said:

"Naked I came from my mother's womb,

and naked I will depart. [c]

The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;

may the name of the LORD be praised."

---Job 1, verse 22

Actually the entire (small) Old Testament Book of Job is a good lesson in overcoming hardships in life.

I wish your brother success in his studies.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 03:46
    One of my personal favorites, Romans 8:28. Here it is in an average translation:

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose."
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 05:271 edit
    " The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; wisdom and instruction fools despise "

Proverbs 1:7
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 05:451 edit
    Matthew 5
    43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 07:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 09:18
    Originally posted by catfoodtim
    "Nail the Bastard to the cross"

Pontius Pilate (paraphrased)

Matthew 27:26
    Trying to illicit some response or is this your idea of macabre humour?
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 10:04

12. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 10:071 edit

13. London
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 13:12
    Originally posted by catfoodtim
    Macabre Humour. Instead of a Love Thy Neighbour response to hardship, I prefer a kick him in the shins reaction.
    Kick in the shins is one thing - spite quite another.

Instead of what you wrote about this particular Jew, would you as readily say "Throw the bastard into the gas chamber" about certain other Jews?
  14. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 07:41

15. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 17:591 edit
    This is a good one, but from the New Testament apocrypha:

Peter answered and spoke concerning these same things. He questioned them about the Saviour: Did He really speak privately with a woman and not openly to us? Are we to turn about and all listen to her? Did He prefer her to us? Then Mary wept and said to Peter, My brother Peter, what do you think? Do you think that I have thought this up myself in my heart, or that I am lying about the Saviour?
    Levi answered and said to Peter, Peter you have always been hot tempered. Now I see you contending against the woman like the adversaries. But if the Saviour made her worthy, who are you indeed to reject her? Surely the Saviour knows her very well.

Mary's Gospel 9:3-8

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree