1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Feb '16 03:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The question then becomes whether or not to do what others want or what you think is good for them. There are usually downsides to both strategies.
    Good point.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Feb '16 03:19
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Well put.

Though one can find a weakness, I suspect, in any generalized ethical rule. I am reminded of the old joke:

Masochist: "Beat me, torture me, hurt me!."

Sadist: "No."
    Ha!
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 Feb '16 12:25
    Don't do to others, what you don't want them doing to your own child.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Feb '16 12:282 edits
    Don't do unto others what you know is morally wrong. Do do unto others what is morally right.

If you don't know what is morally right or wrong then picking a random verse in the Bible to follow is probably one of the worst things you could possibly do.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    05 Feb '16 03:20
    Don't do unto others what you know is morally wrong. Do do unto others what is morally right.

If you don't know what is morally right or wrong then picking a random verse in the Bible to follow is probably one of the worst things you could possibly do.
    Yes, but what is morally right? I think the notion is that "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." at least provides some guidance.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '16 07:24
    Originally posted by vistesd (OP)
    Whether you treat others well or badly,
    I only wish you upon yourself.
    Y
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Apr '16 08:00
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Y
    Because.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Apr '16 09:183 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Yes, but what is morally right? I think the notion is that "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." at least provides some guidance.
    Why do you think it provides guidance? Based on what reasoning do you think that doing unto others as you would have them do unto you is the morally correct thing to do?
    If you need guidance, then you don't know what is morally right or wrong.
    If you don't know what is morally right or wrong, then why pick out 'guidance' at random? And why that guidance in particular?
    If you do know what is morally right and wrong, then you don't really need guidance.

In my experience guidance of that nature is only used as an excuse to do something morally wrong.

Besides, nobody actually follows that 'guidance' literally but rather makes their own judgement in each instance. For example, most of us would wish that other people give us lots of money. But do we go around giving other people lots of money?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Apr '16 15:58
    Why do you think it provides guidance? Based on what reasoning do you think that doing unto others as you would have them do unto you is the morally correct thing to do?
    If you need guidance, then you don't know what is morally right or wrong.
    If you don't know what is morally right or wrong, then why pick out 'guidance' at random? And why that guidance ...[text shortened]... that other people give us lots of money. But do we go around giving other people lots of money?
    But do we go around giving other people lots of money?
    Want to see my paycheck deductions?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree