1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '16 12:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    Unless you are a fetus, infidel, vermin Jew, etc., but I think that is only common sense.
    I can't recall anyone on this forum ever referring to Jewish people as "vermin Jews" apart from you.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '16 13:011 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I can't recall anyone on this forum ever referring to Jewish people as "vermin Jews" apart from you.
    You miss my point. We rationalize that people are not our equals, so that we are free to bypass the golden rule and mistreat them for our own benefit

For example, how do we treat animals? We put them in zoos into captivity, we use them as beasts of burden, and we kill and eat them. We are free to do so because they are not our equals.

That is why historically, certain segments of society are deemed "inferior", much like black slaves in the 1800's were viewed as glorified apes.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 Jan '16 15:42
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Whether you treat others well or badly,
    I only wish you upon yourself.
    One of the problems with our interpretation of The Golden Rule is that nearly all of us follow it to some degree or another, treating others like we wish to be treated.

The interpretation's weakness, as I have learned, is that people would do better to treat others as they wish to be treated.

If my personality is withdrawn and leans toward reticence, I'm probably not equipped or prepared to treat someone who wants an aggressive extroverted relationship.

Tailoring our 'serve' to the wishes of others addresses this gap.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '16 16:25
    You miss my point. We rationalize that people are not our equals, so that we are free to bypass the golden rule and mistreat them for our own benefit

For example, how do we treat animals? We put them in zoos into captivity, we use them as beasts of burden, and we kill and eat them. We are free to do so because they are not our equals.

That is why his ...[text shortened]... ciety are deemed "inferior", much like black slaves in the 1800's were viewed as glorified apes.
    Two questions come to mind.

You are admitting you bypass the 'golden rule' to mistreat people?

Who is it you personally rationalise as not being your equals?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '16 16:50
    A third matter arising.

Don't you believe your God figure, as described in ancient Hebrew mythology, wanted humans to own, use and eat animals?
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    30 Jan '16 17:02
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    One of the problems with our interpretation of The Golden Rule is that nearly all of us follow it to some degree or another, treating others like we wish to be treated.

The interpretation's weakness, as I have learned, is that people would do better to treat others as they wish to be treated.

If my personality is withdrawn and leans toward ret ...[text shortened]... e extroverted relationship.

Well put.

Though one can find a weakness, I suspect, in any generalized ethical rule. I am reminded of the old joke:

Masochist: "Beat me, torture me, hurt me!."

Sadist: "No."
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Jan '16 19:54
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The question then becomes whether or not to do what others want or what you think is good for them. There are usually downsides to both strategies.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 06:05
    Whether you treat others well or badly,
    I only wish you upon yourself.
    That is a bad wish to an atheist and evilutionist.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 10:38
    Unless you are a fetus, infidel, vermin Jew, etc., but I think that is only common sense.
    I don't understand this post but "vermin Jew" grates.
    What are you talking about????
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 10:41

You are not my equal but I would not mistreat you.

Surely it is the weak and defenceless that we should treat well?
    Who would want to mistreat a child, criminal, madman, animal ...
    just because they were not our "equal"???
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 10:49
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That is a bad wish to an atheist and evilutionist.
    Explain.
    I am not a genius so you will have to be precise.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 17:20

That is why his ...[text shortened]... ciety are deemed "inferior", much like black slaves in the 1800's were viewed as glorified apes.
    I think this is clearer if you agree that "equals" can be replaced by "kind."
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 18:34
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You are not my equal but I would not mistreat you.

Surely it is the weak and defenceless that we should treat well?
    Who would want to mistreat a child, criminal, madman, animal ...
    just because they were not our "equal"???
    whodey has a good point, he just had difficulty expressing it.

He is saying that if most people apply morals and moral rules to their own group and not beyond or when they do go beyond, they have a modified form. Even the 'golden rule' talks of 'neighbour' and not 'anybody'.

I think that to some extent you do think of children, criminals, madmen and animals as equals. Maybe 'equals' is the wrong word. Whatever makes you say 'they have rights too' or 'they have feelings too'.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 18:36
    Originally posted by JS357
    I think this is clearer if you agree that "equals" can be replaced by "kind."
    'Kind' isn't necessarily the right word either. We can have empathy for animals and no empathy for someone only marginally different from us. Sexism is essentially saying 'Oh, she's just a woman, so it doesn't matter'.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 22:35
    Hi, Karoly. Long time. Hope you;'re well.
    Hi. I'm well. Hope you are too🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree