1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '14 22:40
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Gosh, FMF. I guess I can do you a solid and spell it out for you, since you've always been so accommodating over the years.

The thread title is "A Month Without Atheists" and it appears as though the main thrust of the thread is for all of the atheists to take a month long hiatus from the forum, ostensibly to demonstrate the lack of vital ...[text shortened]... ) by that small subset to re-frame the label in terms with which those few are more comfortable.
    Oh I see. So I was basically right, you were lashing out. You find something you disagree with "convoluted absurd". I get it. Has this got something to do with your 'everyone in fact believes in God but they just claim that they don't' notion (or words to that effect)?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '14 22:54
    Originally posted by JS357
    Speaking as one who lacks belief in deity, I wonder what it would be like to have a month without atheists posting (as such) on this forum. There does seem to be a low level of dialogue/repartee/jousting at present. Not too hard to envision a moment of opportunity. Anyone up for it? Say, September? Just lurk. At most.
    Apparently FreakyKBH doesn't accept you describing yourself as "one who lacks belief in deity" whilst musing upon "what it would be like to have a month without atheists posting on this forum". He reckons this involves something "convoluted" and "absurd" and "the tortured use of language in the everyday vernacular". Personally I think he may be referring back to some argument with someone like you or lemonjello or Rank Outsider that he is absolutely convinced he won and equally convinced that everyone remembers in detail. πŸ˜€
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 21:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    Oh I see. So I was basically right, you were lashing out. You find something you disagree with "convoluted absurd". I get it. Has this got something to do with your 'everyone in fact believes in God but they just claim that they don't' notion (or words to that effect)?
    If it makes you feel better to ascribe emotional outbursts to others when they are objectively observing reality; if it makes you feel better to count yourself as right and all others with opposing positions as wrong despite all evidence to the contrary, by all means, consider this another win in that record book you're keeping.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 21:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    Apparently FreakyKBH doesn't accept you describing yourself as "one who lacks belief in deity" whilst musing upon "what it would be like to have a month without atheists posting on this forum". He reckons this involves something "convoluted" and "absurd" and "the tortured use of language in the everyday vernacular". Personally I think he may be referring back to ...[text shortened]... at he is absolutely convinced he won and equally convinced that everyone remembers in detail. πŸ˜€
    Pointedly, I reject the phrase "one who lacks belief in deity" as an acceptable and accurate substitute for the term atheist.

As I have elaborated now repeatedly, the former phrase is nonsensical whereas the latter is an astute, concise summation of the concept involved--- even if it by itself is contradictory.

While my discussion here certainly isn't isolated from previous conversations on the topic, there is no direct reference in my mind to any specific discussions on it, but rather to all of them as a whole.

Regardless of the participants and contrary to your juvenile manner of thinking, arguments are never won or lost: truth rings through no matter how superior or inferior the representation.

Sophistication and mysterious vernacular cannot hide a lie any more than a dull wit is able to cloud the light of day.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 22:122 edits
    Pointedly, I reject the phrase "one who lacks belief in deity" as an acceptable and accurate substitute for the term atheist.

As I have elaborated now repeatedly, the former phrase is nonsensical whereas the latter is an astute, concise summation of the concept involved--- even if it by itself is contradictory.

While my discussion here certain ...[text shortened]... terious vernacular cannot hide a lie any more than a dull wit is able to cloud the light of day.
    Well if it makes you feel better, I unashamedly consider myself an atheist who positively believes your "God" (along with other putative gods) does not exist.
    However I am one who also "lacks belief" in any other deities (un-named, un-defined, ...), the same way I lack belief that your favourite number might be 5464 (though unlikely as it seems perhaps this is your favourite number! - but to say I believe it isn't sort of implies either I don't think there exists any favourite at all, or there is a better (random!) choice of favourite - neither is the case!)

The phrase used by the JS357 is not nonsensical to me ... it is just that I am maximally confidentReveal Hidden Content
    and of course I am not saying this without the expectation someone will come along and challenge me on this
    in the non-existence of more gods than he.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 22:31
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Well if it makes you feel better, I unashamedly consider myself an atheist who positively believes [b]your "God" (along with other putative gods) does not exist.
    However I am one who also "lacks belief" in any other deities (un-named, un-defined, ...), the same way I lack belief that your favourite number might be 5464 (though unlikely as it seems perhaps ...[text shortened]... eone will come along and challenge me on this[/hidden]in the non-existence of more gods than he.[/b]
    Gold star, Agerg.
    Gold star.

Now, kindly take your juice box back to your nap mat and observe the quiet time currently in progress.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 22:452 edits
    Gold star, Agerg.
    Gold star.

Now, kindly take your juice box back to your nap mat and observe the quiet time currently in progress.
    Only when you give back the milk you stole from me, will I allow you the time to contemplate what I just told you in the last post.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 22:49
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Only when you give back the milk you stole from me.
    Ha-ha.
    I'm factose intolerant.
    Nice try.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 23:54
    Fair enough. I remember a discussion along these lines which I thought you lost hands down. Maybe when I have a moment I will dig it out and take a look at what it was you were going on about. Meanwhile, I agree with Agerg; the phrase used by the JS357 is not nonsensical to me.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Sep '14 16:26
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    lurking.
    Lurking good!
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 13:43
    Well, so far, it looks like the theists, left to their own devices, have no substantive issues to discuss.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Sep '14 13:52
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Well, so far, it looks like the theists, left to their own devices, have no substantive issues to discuss.
    Not on this thread (initiated by an atheist) which suggests atheists refrain from contributing for a month.

I am unaware of a single theist who has asked for atheists to cease and desist.
    I am aware of several of us who have asked for them to stay on topic, however.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree