1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 15:05
    Originally posted by Agerg
    In order to deliberately participate in this challenge I would require that the fundamentalists on this forum play the same game.
    that would then leave me and divegester. kinda lonely
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 17:17
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    Why is Suzianne considered a fundamentalist?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 17:33
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Why do you need to? The suggestion was that atheists should not post, not that only Christians could.
    Just throwing ideas out there. I didn't, and don't intend to get into a debate over it.

Can I post an opinion without it being criticized?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 17:42
    Originally posted by JS357
    Seeing how active the Buddhists are on this forum, impersonating one might make for a rather quiet week.
    Impersonate a Buddhist?

So, am I to suspect that atheists are deceptive? Perhaps you are really only impersonating an atheist, and now I can't trust the integrity of atheists!

No wonder these debates degenerate into meaningless squabbles.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 17:44
    In order to deliberately participate in this challenge I would require that the fundamentalists on this forum play the same game.
    Whatever it takes. We set up the rules and all abide by them. Would be interesting.
  6. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 18:42
    Originally posted by josephw
    Just throwing ideas out there. I didn't, and don't intend to get into a debate over it.

Can I post an opinion without it being criticized?
    Can't I ask a simple question without you thinking it is a criticism?

It just seemed an odd thing to say. As the suggestion isn't going to happen, it's no big issue.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 23:06
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    Nah ... you'd also have the agnostics as well ... and all of the fundamentalists! (because they're all just frothing at the mouth too much to respect any promise that they'll stay away)
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 23:09
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Well, who does the defining of 'fundamentalist'? I consider myself a moderate, and in some circles, a flaming 'liberal'. But it's only the non-believers who have ever labeled me a 'fundamentalist'.
    Well some of the things you believe to be true are orders of magnitude more deranged than what the typical moderate would profess to believe. You might not be full-fat fundamentalist but you still believe some bewilderingly crazy stuff.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 00:08
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Can't I ask a simple question without you thinking it is a criticism?

It just seemed an odd thing to say. As the suggestion isn't going to happen, it's no big issue.
    My apologies. I must have misunderstood your intent.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 00:23
    Originally posted by PatNovak
    After all the oppression and opposition that atheists have imposed on Christian speech over the past two millennia, I am shocked and humbled that you would only ask for a mere week. Growing up and living in the Midwest in the U.S. (AKA the Bible Belt), I have never once experienced a situation where Christians were allowed to speak in public without atheist ...[text shortened]... I will likely be among the first atheists in the history Western Civilization to experience it.
    I'm not sure what to make of your post. Personally, I don't feel oppression or opposition in this forum, nor do I feel that I am being persecuted.

It's a fight to be sure, but at least we're free to speak.

I don't think the Christians in this forum are going to start posting in a thread, in this forum, debating Christian issues concerning Biblical doctrine, or any other questions of spirituality without opposition. It would turn into a three ring circus. Sorry to say.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 00:381 edit
    Well some of the things you believe to be true are orders of magnitude more deranged than what the typical moderate would profess to believe. You might not be full-fat fundamentalist but you still believe some bewilderingly crazy stuff.
    'Bewilderingly crazy'? Only to a non-believer. But then again, to them, it's ALL 'bewilderingly crazy'.

But I know one thing. I am NOT the 'biggest Fruit Loop in the box'. Not by far.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 00:50
    Originally posted by josephw
    I'm not sure what to make of your post. Personally, I don't feel oppression or opposition in this forum, nor do I feel that I am being persecuted.

It's a fight to be sure, but at least we're free to speak.

I don't think the Christians in this forum are going to start posting in a thread, in this forum, debating Christian issues concerning Biblical doct ...[text shortened]... stions of spirituality without opposition. It would turn into a three ring circus. Sorry to say.
    Come on, Joe.

We've had plenty of threads where the atheists don't even make a peep. All the fighting was amongst ourselves.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 02:04
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Come on, Joe.

We've had plenty of threads where the atheists don't even make a peep. All the fighting was amongst ourselves.
    That's my point.

Unfortunately debate amongst Christians falls into disarray for one simple reason. If it were understood that God's Word is the final authority on all matters of life, living and spirituality, there would be more unity and less debate.

Not to be confused with the concept of iron sharpening iron. Open and honest debate can be beneficial and a positive experience as long as it is agreed that the Word of God is the final authority.

Which, if the idea posed in the OP were to be realized, we would all have to agree to if we hope to affect a learning experience by public debate.

This could be an opportunity to demonstrate The Lord Jesus Christ to the extent as He is formed in us to the whole world.
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 02:16
    I've been warming the bench here for two or three weeks, I'd estimate. I don't have a problem taking September off as well. It's always refreshing to give myself a break from a topic. I come back to it renewed and raring to go.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 02:36
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    I've been warming the bench here for two or three weeks, I'd estimate. I don't have a problem taking September off as well. It's always refreshing to give myself a break from a topic. I come back to it renewed and raring to go.
    Hey! The month off is for us Christians from having to contend with atheist opposition. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree