1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '14 22:39
    Speaking as one who lacks belief in deity, I wonder what it would be like to have a month without atheists posting (as such) on this forum. There does seem to be a low level of dialogue/repartee/jousting at present. Not too hard to envision a moment of opportunity. Anyone up for it? Say, September? Just lurk. At most.
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '14 23:39
    Originally posted by JS357
    Speaking as one who lacks belief in deity, I wonder what it would be like to have a month without atheists posting (as such) on this forum. There does seem to be a low level of dialogue/repartee/jousting at present. Not too hard to envision a moment of opportunity. Anyone up for it? Say, September? Just lurk. At most.
    lurking.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '14 23:52
    Well you've had 4 months without Swiss Gambit posting, for example. Has that added any value to your forum experience or increased your interest to any degree?
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 00:34
    In order to deliberately participate in this challenge I would require that the fundamentalists on this forum play the same game.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 03:43
    With that miracle you guys would still not believe in God!
  6. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 04:561 edit
    I'm up for it. It is about time we gave Christians an unimpeded chance to speak in a public forum. If there is one problem that had plagued Western Civilization since the start of the Middle Ages, it has been the inability of Christians to speak in public forums without atheist opposition. I say let us be the first to try this radical new experiment, and perhaps we can be the first people in history to know what it is like to only hear Christians speak in public forums.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 10:22
    Originally posted by Agerg
    In order to deliberately participate in this challenge I would require that the fundamentalists on this forum play the same game.
    Well, who does the defining of 'fundamentalist'? I consider myself a moderate, and in some circles, a flaming 'liberal'. But it's only the non-believers who have ever labeled me a 'fundamentalist'.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 10:26
    Originally posted by PatNovak
    I'm up for it. It is about time we gave Christians an unimpeded chance to speak in a public forum. If there is one problem that had plagued Western Civilization since the start of the Middle Ages, it has been the inability of Christians to speak in public forums without atheist opposition. I say let us be the first to try this radical new experiment, and pe ...[text shortened]... first people in history to know what it is like to only hear Christians speak in public forums.
    What a novel idea!

But a month might be too long. How about just one week? Then the following week for atheists only. Then we can discuss what happened there after.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 10:26
    Originally posted by PatNovak
    I'm up for it. It is about time we gave Christians an unimpeded chance to speak in a public forum. If there is one problem that had plagued Western Civilization since the start of the Middle Ages, it has been the inability of Christians to speak in public forums without atheist opposition. I say let us be the first to try this radical new experiment, and pe ...[text shortened]... first people in history to know what it is like to only hear Christians speak in public forums.
    How long have you been here?

Well, it is not as rare here as you might think. A lot of threads go by without so much as a nod from the atheists. And ALL of these threads degenerate into arguments among the theists.

So having no atheist opposition in this forum won't automatically result in all of the theists sitting around holding hands singing Kumbiya, trust me.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 10:36
    I am.

I'm as curious as you as to what might be discussed amongst the Christians in this forum unimpeded by dissenting views. But I'm afraid that such a debate or discussion between Christians might just end up in a brawl.

The Christians in this forum would have to first define what a Christian is, that is, what fundamental criteria is it that makes one a true Christian.

This could get complicated. The groundwork would first have to be laid by determining the definitions of the terms before discussion could begin.
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 13:20
    Isn't a Christian a member of a Jewish sect who believes that Jesus of Nazareth died for his / her sins and was resurrected again?

Yeah... I'm pretty sure that sums it up.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 13:28
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Isn't a Christian a member of a Jewish sect who believes that Jesus of Nazareth died for his / her sins and was resurrected again?

Yeah... I'm pretty sure that sums it up.
    Wrong.
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 14:292 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    I am.

I'm as curious as you as to what might be discussed amongst the Christians in this forum unimpeded by dissenting views. But I'm afraid that such a debate or discussion between Christians might just end up in a brawl.

The Christians in this forum would have to first define what a Christian is, that is, what fundamental criteria is it that makes ...[text shortened]... first have to be laid by determining the definitions of the terms before discussion could begin.
    Why do you need to? The suggestion was that atheists should not post, not that only Christians could.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 14:372 edits
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Why do you need to? The suggestion was that atheists should not post, not that only Christians could.
    Seeing how active the Buddhists are on this forum, impersonating one might make for a rather quiet week.
  15. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 14:381 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    What a novel idea!

But a month might be too long. How about just one week? Then the following week for atheists only. Then we can discuss what happened there after.
    After all the oppression and opposition that atheists have imposed on Christian speech over the past two millennia, I am shocked and humbled that you would only ask for a mere week. Growing up and living in the Midwest in the U.S. (AKA the Bible Belt), I have never once experienced a situation where Christians were allowed to speak in public without atheist opposition, so this will be an entirely new experience for me. I am very interested to see what it will be like to be exposed to a Christian-only viewpoint, especially since I will likely be among the first atheists in the history Western Civilization to experience it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree