1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Mar '07 23:24
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    You are confounding two notions: existence and being the object of worship.

Suppose it turns out that when we all die, God is actually a slimy green worm that eats corpses and is nothing at all like he is depicted in any of man's holy books. Would you still maintain that this is the beast that Muslims have worshipped all along? Of course you wou ...[text shortened]... e have been worshipping such a beast all along if it turns out that that's what God is like.
    Thus, what exists has nothing to do with objects of worship, as they are mental constructs.

Generally agreed, but—

(1) Most people do not think they worship—or even posit—mental constructs when they talk of God.

(2) It is theoretically possible that (a) one of the constructs turns out to be more accurate that the others (assuming any actual referent behind the construct), or (b) all of them have diverse elements of accuracy and inaccuracy—as well as (c) they are all woefully inaccurate (your green worm god). I hate saying this, since it’s an argument that lucifershammer makes to me from time to time, in terms of (a).

(3) There is really no religious expression without mental constructs—just as there is no poetry without them. The problem lies not with mental constructs per se, but with inappropriately reifying and absolutizing them.

If George Masefield (I think) calls the moon “a galleon,” and e.e. cummings calls it “a balloon”—it seems silly to start an argument over which of those is the most accurate, or that if one is true the other must be false. Religionists would be well advised, I think, to treat their God-concepts in similar fashion: more as metaphors and less as truth-propositions—as metaphors they can be “fingers pointing to the moon” as the Zen saying goes; as truth propositions, they become fingers pointing at themselves...
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 00:29
    I guess I see them as being the same.

Perhaps you guys are making this more difficult than it is.

Try concentrating on the similarities instead of the differences.
  3. CA, USA
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 00:53
    A Muslim, a Catholic and a Jew die. Which ones go to heaven?
    Gotta be the Jew.

They don't go around killing in order to "convert" infidels.

Christians and Moslems both are compelled by there faith to spread the "word" .. and both have shown a willingness to murder in order to reach there goal.

When's the last time a Jew knocked on your door and started preaching to you?

I rest my case.
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 00:56
    Originally posted by jammer
    Gotta be the Jew.

They don't go around killing in order to "convert" infidels.

Christians and Moslems both are compelled by there faith to spread the "word" .. and both have shown a willingness to murder in order to reach there goal.

When's the last time a Jew knocked on your door and started preaching to you?

I rest my case.
    The Jews did their fair share of killing infidels in the Old Testament.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 03:386 edits
    A Muslim, a Catholic and a Jew.....
    Which one will go to heaven? I thought this was a joke of some kind? Ok, so I'm somewhat dissappointed so I will make one up.

A Catholic, and a Mulsim and Jew all enter a bar that only serves pulled pork sandwiches and alcohol. The waiter asks the men at the table what they will have to drink and eat. The Catholic orders the pulled pork sandwich and a glass of whiskey, the Jew only orders a small glass of wine and the Muslim just sits there and orders nothing. The waiter then turns to the Muslim and asks him if there is anything his religion allows him to do. The Muslim replies not much. The waiter then turns to the Catholic and asks him if there is anything his religion does not allow him to do. The Catholic says, not much. Then the waiter turns to walk away. Offended at being ignored the Jewish man yells at the waiter, "What about me, are'nt you gonna ask me if there is anything my religion will not allow me to do!?" Puzzled the waiter then turns to the Jewish man and asks, "Well what, is there anything your religion will not allow you to do?" The Jewish man replies, "It won't allow me to pay the check stupid", as he just smiles at his Catholic and Islamic friend.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 09:11
    Which ones go to heaven?
    Which one has experienced reality?
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 15:21
    Originally posted by josephw
    That is exactly right! So, since there is only one God, who's God is God?
    I would say that there are many gods besides the one true Living God. For example the first commandment is have no other gods before me so that goes to show that there are other gods.
    Examples: the LOVE of money, budda, cars, anything that can take your time away from the True living God. But truly all other gods are dead.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 20:44
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I would say that there are many gods besides the one true Living God. For example the first commandment is have no other gods before me so that goes to show that there are other gods.
    Examples: the LOVE of money, budda, cars, anything that can take your time away from the True living God. But truly all other gods are dead.
    Agreed!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree