1. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 06:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't have a "new religion".
    Then perhaps you should stay out of this thread?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 06:321 edit
    Originally posted by chaney3
    Then perhaps you should stay out of this thread?
    I have stayed out of it other than pointing out the double Whoosh! that JS357 caused you with his humorous comment to divegeester.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 06:34
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm thinking of starting one. Doctrine is to be established by the early adopters.
    It might be easier for people to move to an existing religion and simply delete or add doctrines that they feel would make it all easier to believe .
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 06:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have stayed out of it other than pointing out the double Whoosh! that JS357 caused you with his humorous comment to divegeester.
    You have no idea for a new religion?

One that may agree with the thoughts that forced you away from Christianity?

Surely you can think of something?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 06:37
    No, not really. I would have to pretend that I believe in a supernatural being, which I don't. So no, I have no idea for a new religion.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 06:391 edit
    There was no "force" involved. It was all calm and collected. I simply realized after long reflection that I didn't believe the things that Christians claimed about themselves and about Christ. I wasn't looking for a "new religion". I don't feel the need for one. So I don't have any ideas for one. Do you?
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 07:09
    This thread is about a new religion.

Maybe you slept through that?

Or are you somewhat retarded?
    I thought you had agreed to only post in this forum when you are sober?

Drunkards in our new religion are dis-communicated.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 07:251 edit
    I can't think of one that fits with the facts of human life as I perceive them in the world we live in.

So here is world that I might portray if I were to write some kind sc-if novel that was a contemplation on the human condition.

Humans have evolved over the millennia and have realized that if they behave in a morally sound way they live long and healthy lives and perhaps get to see their great grandchildren graduate from college etc.

Morally unsound people live much shorter lives. Morality in this world is all about actions, treatment of others, impact on one's environment, kindness, empathy, communal efforts etc. and isn't about thoughtcrimes and the like.

The "religion" aspect could manifest itself in the way some people speculate about the existence of a divine being who created this world and its moral realities, and they might spend time worshipping this god figure and very deliberately doing morally sound acts in order to please it. There are factions that are convinced that there is an afterlife and they need this perhaps in order to motivate themselves to be good.

Meanwhile, other people do not concern themselves much with all that (it hasn't been revealed to anyone and the whole causality issue is, consequently, basically unknowable, as is the speculation about an afterlife) and they, instead, just settle in and live their lives as well and for as long as they can.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 08:59
    Originally posted by JS357
    Will it have commandments covering things like the proper use of "whose" versus "who's"?
    If that's what floats your spiritual boat, then sure. Please fill out the form 😀
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 09:02

In this new religion do you think you will be the type of member who is able to decide whether they are in fact a member of it and always have been...or the type of member who has never been a member?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 09:05
    Originally posted by JS357
    Will it have commandments covering things like the proper use of "whose" versus "who's"?
    The eternal torture could involve being trapped in a syntax cranny in the fabric of cyberspace with billions of damned teenagers exchanging text messages.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 09:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    It might be easier for people to move to an existing religion and simply delete or add doctrines that they feel would make it all easier to believe .
    Some people don't mind second-hand modified spirituality, other prefer a brand spanking out of the box new one in order to feel special and important to their deity. I've always been one of the former group but my specialness feeling needs a boost. 🙂
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 09:37
    Originally posted by divegeester
    In this new religion do you think you will be the type of member who is able to decide whether they are in fact a member of it and always have been...or the type of member who has never been a member?
    You didn't answer my question.

In this new religion, does the crucifixion of Jesus mean something for everyone? Or, does it only matter for those who believe it happened?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 09:38
    You didn't answer my question.

In this new religion, does the crucifixion of Jesus mean something for everyone? Or, does it only matter for those who believe it happened?
    It's a new religion, you get to decide?
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 15:24
    Lame post.
    Too many other things to consider.
    I'm just pointing out that new religions ends to concern themselves with orthodoxy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree