1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    10 Feb '10 05:521 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    The point, I think, is that salvation* is cheap for the one getting saved, not necessarily for Jesus.

However, when you think about it in more detail, what really was sacrificed? It was not Jesus' life, because he got that back in 3 days. Nor would he fear death, because he knew he would be resurrected.

Other than having a really bad weekend, what ...[text shortened]... e that they just need to believe in Jesus and pray that one little prayer and PRESTO!~ - saved.
    I think it was that (Of course Only if you believe this) Jesus was God in the flesh allowing Himself to get a beat down from man. I think there was more to it also then just having a bad weekend but it's irrelevant if that's not what you choose to believe.The Christian knows that it was not cheap and will live their life differently because of this fact. At least in theory. 🙂

Manny
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Feb '10 00:03
    Originally posted by menace71
    I think it was that (Of course Only if you believe this) Jesus was God in the flesh allowing Himself to get a beat down from man. I think there was more to it also then just having a bad weekend but it's irrelevant if that's not what you choose to believe.The Christian knows that it was not cheap and will live their life differently because of this fact. At least in theory. 🙂

Manny
    I guess I'm just fated to not get it - various people through history have suffered beat-downs at the hands of their fellow man for a cause they believed in. People have died for causes important to them [with no assurance of resurrection, mind you!].

If anything, being God in the flesh should make it EASIER to take this kind of punishment. You've been on the top of the food chain for eons. You know you're going to get that position back in a few days. You have infinitely more reasons to believe in your own power than us puny mortals do.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '10 02:32
    Originally posted by menace71
    I think the thief was fully aware of his situation. I think He was granted insight about Christ that day. The thief was a criminal he knew Christ was not. The thief knew that he deserved what he got. He even said to the other criminal on a cross do you not fear God? The other was cursing at Jesus to come down off the cross and save himself. Also just becau ...[text shortened]... st. You have a real bad hang up about Paul. What weird cult do you belong to anyway?

Manny
    You seem to have ignored this point of SG's post:
    "The point, I think, is that salvation* is cheap for the one getting saved, not necessarily for Jesus."

Also anything that falls short of the following is "cheap" because it is not true salvation:
    The absolute minimum requirement for "eternal life" / "heaven" / "salvation" as taught by Jesus: One must become righteous, i.e., one must become one with God, one must follow the will of God, one cannot continue to commit sin, etc.
  4. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    11 Feb '10 21:45
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    You seem to have ignored this point of SG's post:
    "The point, I think, is that salvation* is cheap for the one getting saved, not necessarily for Jesus."

Also anything that falls short of the following is "cheap" because it is not true salvation:
    The absolute minimum requirement for "eternal life" / "heaven" / "salvation" as taught by Jesus: O ...[text shortened]... God, one must follow the will of God, one cannot continue to commit sin, etc.
    The absolute minimum requirement for "eternal life" / "heaven" / "salvation" as taught by Jesus: One must become righteous, i.e., one must become one with God, one must follow the will of God, one cannot continue to commit sin, etc.
    -------------ToOne---------------------------

So presumably the expectation is that a person who is embroiled in all kinds of sin and sinful behaviours can become righteous overnight and immediately be transformed into someone who never sins again? Maybe within 24 hours shall we say?

How do you think that might occur? Will power ? A sudden lightbulb moment?

You have not described or explained the mechanism by which such a change takes place. Until you do your interpretation of Jesus (which is all it is) is just....erhem....an intepretation, with no practical use.

The simple fact is that Christians CAN outline the mechanism by which a person can be transformed - namely the saving work of the Holy Spirit.

You seem to be unable to go any further than just repetitive dogmatic statements. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree