1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 08:45
    Calling on the name of the Lord Jesus is something like a chess game. I hear that in the early part of the game you have to get control of the center of the board.

Calling "O Lord Jesus. O Lord Jesus. Lord Jesus I love you" first thing in the morning allows God to get control of the center of your life each day.

If you start your day calling on the resurrected Jesus Christ as your Lord you'll be happier throughout the whole day. You are made happy with the enjoyment of Christ.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 13:05
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Yawn....😴

A simpler way lies here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KiAvmzcZbg
    Scottishshinnz,

I call on the Lord Jesus Christ and I know why I breath, why my heart beats and why I exist.

Why don't you wake up from your sleep and tell us all why you are alive. What is the purpose of your life here in the universe?

Do you know?
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 14:19
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Calling on the name of Jesus is a simple way to touch the reality of Christ. The living Person of Jesus can be experienced by calling "O Lord Jesus. O Lord Jesus." If you believe that He has resin from the dead and is alive, to get to know Him you can call upon His name - Lord Jesus."

There is such power in the name of Jesus. "The last Adam became a li ...[text shortened]... 15:45). We can experience the life giving Spirit of Jesus by calling on His name in faith.
    You know I was saying something close to that just last night. Of course, it wasn't Jesus was tapping, but it was an amazing experience nonetheless.
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 14:20
    Scottishshinnz,

I call on the Lord Jesus Christ and I know why I breath, why my heart beats and why I exist.

Why don't you wake up from your sleep and tell us all why you are alive. What is the purpose of your life here in the universe?

Do you know?
    Explain to us how you breath and how your heartbeats. Then be a pal and tap into Jesus again and discover how to write my dissertation for me.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 14:42
    Originally posted by telerion
    You know I was saying something close to that just last night. Of course, it wasn't Jesus was tapping, but it was an amazing experience nonetheless.
    This is like saying that because I notice my watch dial shines in the dark the sun must be a big watch in the sky.

Tell me. I have received only pseudo humorous wisecracks up until now. When does one of you smart guys offer a serious reply? Question what you don't understand. Ridicule is not always the appropriate response for a thoughtful person.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 14:47
    Originally posted by telerion
    Explain to us how you breath and how your heartbeats. Then be a pal and tap into Jesus again and discover how to write my dissertation for me.
    My question was "Why?" not "How?"

Jesus Christ gives me a reason to live. God is a God of purpose and plan.

I think that I have received many clever replies. I don't always take cleverness to be wisdom.

I'd like to see some replies that display some wisdom, albiet skeptical. Clever responses don't generate that good of a discussion on this topic.
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 14:551 edit
    This Topic was called a "Simple Way". Many of the most vital things in this universe are simple to obtain.

Air surrounds us. Unconsciously we breath it in. It is simple to do so. We don't have to have the chemical breakdown of it. It may be interesting to know it. But it is attainable and simple for most of us to breath in the air.

Some clever types who like to Lampoon what they don't know about, take simplicity to be foolish. But look at God's creation. It is simple to obtain air (in far more cases than not). Air is vital. And air is also abundatnly avialable.

More vital than air and water is God. God is for eternity as will as for time. God has made it simple to contact Him. It has involved Him in much trouble to do so. But on our side it is a simple matter. God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself. The fulness of the Godhead bodily dwelt in Christ.

And today, this crucified and resurrection Lord Jesus Christ is a life giving Holy Spirit - "The last Adam became a life giving Spirit" (1 Cor, 15:45). In this way Christ, Who is God incarnate, has been made available and simple for man to receive into his being.

Whoever calls on the name of the Lord in faith can contact the living Lord Jesus and God becomes a personal reality.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 14:58
    My question was "Why?" not "How?"

Jesus Christ gives me a reason to live. God is a God of purpose and plan.

I think that I have received many clever replies. I don't always take cleverness to be wisdom.

I'd like to see some replies that display some wisdom, albiet skeptical. Clever responses don't generate that good of a discussion on this topic.
    I don't know about you, but I have pently of reasons to live, and none of them involve Jesus. I don't need some external agent to validate my life.

What do you interpret to be wisdom? Someone who agrees with you?
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 15:08
    This Topic was called a "Simple Way". Many of the most vital things in this universe are simple to obtain.

Air surrounds us. Unconsciously we breath it in. It is simple to do so. We don't have to have the chemical breakdown of it. It may be interesting to know it. But it is attainable and simple for most of us to breath in the air.

Some clever types ...[text shortened]... f the Lord in faith can contact the living Lord Jesus and God becomes a personal reality.
    There's a big difference between 'simple' and 'simplistic.'

I've been doing just fine without god for the majority of my life. I would last about a week without water and less than two minutes without air. So I guess I'll go with water and air as taking priority here, thank you very much.

You really don't need your hypothetical god. You just think you do.
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 15:10
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I don't know about you, but I have pently of reasons to live, and none of them involve Jesus. I don't need some external agent to validate my life.

What do you interpret to be wisdom? Someone who agrees with you?
    That's good for you. But you didn't tell us what these plenty of reasons are.

As for me Jesus Christ is not "some external agent" as much as an internal divine life imparted into my being through the new birth.

"He who is joined to the Lord is one spirit" (1 Cor. 6:17) means that my innermost being and the Lord have been mingled together in an organic union. I do need that. I need that like a branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine.

I do need to abide in the Source of Life and in the ground of all being. I need to be grounded in the that Person Who is the uncreated life. My life was a created life. My created life needs to be one with the uncreated divine life of God.

I certainly don't need to be at odds with God. I certainly don't need to be alienated or at enmity with God. If God and man cannot be united in a harmonious union I doubt that there is any reason for the universe to exist.

In short my experience is that without Jesus as the indwelling Lord everything is vanity of vanities. There is a gnawing emptiness to life without the Lord Jesus. And there is a gnawing lack of peace without being reconciled to God in Jesus.

I exist because of God's eternal purpose to mass produce sons of God for His expression and our enjoyment.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 15:17
    Originally posted by rwingett
    There's a big difference between 'simple' and 'simplistic.'

I've been doing just fine without god for the majority of my life. I would last about a week without water and less than two minutes without air. So I guess I'll go with water and air as taking priority here, thank you very much.

You really don't need your hypothetical god. You just think you do.
    Well, I thought I was doing pretty well without God for years on end also.

However if you could ask some of the people who had to suffer under my sense of "doing well" you might find that they were not doing so well suffering because of my sins.

You ask me about what do I consider wisdom. I think to realize that God is not the enemy - that is a sign of some wisdom. When someone can grasp that negative red and yellow caution lights should not flash in one's head because of the mention of "God" I think that is probably on the way to some wisdom.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 15:28
    Human life is something like a box. Some people are a simple box yet filled with something. Others are like an empty box but wrapped in all kinds of fancy ribbons.

I'd rather be a simple box filled with gold than a empty box wrapped in all kinds of fancy ribbons.

I believe that there is an eternity shaped vacuum within that is crying out to be filled. I thought for years that the answer was some place or some thing. Now I believe that the answer is a Person. My deepest need is a Person.

This Person is the uncreated and eternal life of this universe incarnated to be the Lord and Savior. The empact of this Person on human history is cataclysmic. His presence in history is shattering. And He is in a class occupied by one person, Himself alone.

I don't think people WOULD concoct a character like Jesus Christ even if they were able to do so.

And I got to know Jesus Christ by calling upon His name like this "O Lord Jesus. Lord Jesus. O Lord Jesus". Once you call Him "Lord Jesus" He begins to take His rightful place in the kernel of your spirit.

So I recommend that the thirsty for reality call on the name of the Lord Jesus.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 15:58
    Human life is something like a box. Some people are a simple box yet filled with something. Others are like an empty box but wrapped in all kinds of fancy ribbons.

I'd rather be a simple box filled with gold than a empty box wrapped in all kinds of fancy ribbons.

I believe that there is an eternity shaped vacuum within that is crying out to be f ...[text shortened]... pirit.

So I recommend that the thirsty for reality call on the name of the Lord Jesus.
    Momma always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what yer gonna get.

You make the mistake of assuming that my 'box' is empty, while your 'box' is filled with gold. I disagree. I say your 'box' is nothing but a holding tank for toxic, theistic sludge which you choose to wilfully misinterpret as being gold. Maybe you can convince yourself that sludge equals gold, but I ain't buying it.
  14. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 16:202 edits
    This is like saying that because I notice my watch dial shines in the dark the sun must be a big watch in the sky.

Tell me. I have received only pseudo humorous wisecracks up until now. When does one of you smart guys offer a serious reply? Question what you don't understand. Ridicule is not always the appropriate response for a thoughtful person.
    Don’t mistake humor for a non-serious response—sometimes humor is used to see whether you (or I or anyone) can identify possible flaws in your position when “pricked” a bit. For example, the ruby-slippers response: you toss that out as crass sarcasm, but you might not see it that way if someone had used Krishna as an example (the methodology of the Hare Krishnas is nearly identical to the one you espouse here—a form of japa or mantra).

Below is a composite from a discussion Scottishinnz and I had on another thread, regarding such experiences. I would add that japa/mantra can be used to focus the mind toward a pre-decided image, which perhaps increases the chance that that is the image that will be translated in any resulting mystical experience (and also disposes the person doing the japa/mantra to the kind of receptive mental state alluded to below). That is perhaps why nearly every religious tradition in the world recommends (among others) the methodology you are espousing...

(And, yes, I am one who has pursued this and has had such experiences—so my offering below also represents my personal conclusions.)

Scottishinnz: ...it's my conjecture that (as you know) the human mind is very good at finding patterns, even when they don't exist. Most people go through bad times in their lives, when they wished things are very different to what they are. Some people have these experiences that you talk about, but I'd guess most don't. The difference is, the ones who talk about it are the self same people who DID have these "revelations".

vistesd:

Bingo!

I’d like to expand with some of my own conjectures. In the following, I know that I am not using terms correctly, from the point of view of cognitive science; I don’t have the vocabulary. So I’m using terms like “right brain/left brain,” etc., just as handles for certain functional neurological complexes and brain stuff going on (well, “brain stuff”—that is a valid cognitive term, isn’t it? 😉 ).

Suppose in a moment of stress, or high relaxation, or a reactive relaxation immediately following stress, there is in the brain an increase of “right-brain” functioning that alters our perception in such a way that our focus broadens out. We have that sense of experiencing existence in a much more holistic, “larger” way. Things may seem ambiguous or disconnected or overwhelming... Then the “left-brain” functions begin to reassert themselves, trying to make rational/symbolic/linguistic “sense” of the experience. Suppose further that, at the same time and as part of the same process, the “left-brain” picks up a memory (remember, I’m speaking metaphorically here) of some religious nature—say, a mental image of Krishna (such an image may not be from our own religious background, or it may be). We might experience what’s going on in terms of any of our sensual brain functions: visual, auditory, even olfactory. (Emotional centers may also be triggered in this process.)

[As an analogy, in everyday experience our visual sense apparatus receives sensory stimuli, process along the appropriate neurological pathways, to be translated in the visual cortex into a visual image: and what we “see” is really that image, whether or not it is accurately reflective of the actual physical world—that’s roughly how I understand it anyway....]

The result is that we have a “religious experience” in which Krishna seems to appear, surrounded by the scent of incense, and speaks to us. And just like the ordinary visual images that we see, it seems to be external to ourselves. I call this process “immediate translation”—i.e., of an otherwise unintelligible experience into an intelligible one, as the brain attempts to form recognizable and “sensible” patterns.

This “mystical” experience need not have any supernatural connotations at all (e.g., in some Taoism or Zen). And although the general literature has traditionally referred to them as “mystical” experiences, even without the supernatural connotation, howardgee convinced me to pretty much drop that term from my vocabulary—or at least to use it very cautiously with the requisite caveats—because it seems to be almost universally perceived, outside that literature, as having to do with the supernatural.

And I think that even those folks who conclude that such an experience represents an actual “revelatory” event (for whatever reasons, valid or not—I don’t want to argue all that here), must, as a matter of intellectual integrity, admit that it might be something akin to what I’m trying to describe. I would say to someone who responds that their experience was just too powerful or profound for it to be anything but God (Krishna, Shiva, the Buddha, whatever), that they might have too paltry a notion of the power of their own brain. (After all, mirages are convincing just because they seem so “real.” )

I think you’re right, too, Scott, that people who assign religious content to such experiences tend to seek community with others who also do so—Christians with Christians, Hindus with Hindus, Buddhists with Buddhists (although Zennists teach that all such experiences—say in meditation—should be discounted as makyo, “bedeviling illusions;” and I agree). The common features of such experiences also allow them to discuss them across religions in interfaith dialogue.

The only thing I might disagree with you on is that I tend to think that most people have such experiences, at least in mild forms.

It is also possible that such experiences might sometimes be connected to some pathology. Some cognitive scientists have attempted research to sort that out, but I don’t recall any of their criteria for differentiating (perhaps evidence, or lack thereof, of other pathological indications). I can’t offer any references; this is from some reading several years ago...

To my understanding, the point of zen-type approaches to meditation is to get clear of the prejudicial patterns we may carry about in our heads without even realizing it (from our childhood enculturation—even nonverbal—socialization, indoctrination, etc.) in order to experience the phenomena of existence in terms of just those patterns (such as, again, those produced in the visual cortex in response to sensory data) that occur naturally. I don’t think it is (or ought to be) an attempt to get at some noumenal “thing-in-itself” behind the phenomenal world—it certainly is not to replace pre-imposed patterns with new ones that arise reactively as we try to undo the old ones. Does that make sense? (I’ve been grappling with this for a long time, and your post triggered a sort of “falling into place” of some of it, but I still lack a clear vocabulary...)

In meditation, as the old prejudicial patterns or formulae begin to slowly fall away, there is a reaction—as if the “left-brain” functions are so entangled by the habitual patterns (remember, I am not talking about the natural, neuro-biological ones), that any relaxing of them causes it to madly seek to impose something new to escape the unfamiliarity: e.g., as in my Krishna example.

There is a zen saying: “To seek the truth, first drop your opinions.” I think that kind of thing is what it’s getting at.

If pawnokeyhole, or someone else who is involved in psychology or the other branches of cognitive science would correct either my terminology or the substance of the above, I would appreciate it.

EDIT: To remove the tooth-fairy reference--that was another thread, my bad.
  15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 16:30
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Don’t mistake humor for a non-serious response—sometimes humor is used to see whether you (or I or anyone) can identify possible flaws in your position when “pricked” a bit. For example, the tooth-fairy response: you toss that out as crass sarcasm, but you might not see it that way if someone had used Krishna as an example (the methodology of the Hare Kris ...[text shortened]... would correct either my terminology or the substance of the above, I would appreciate it.
    Splash

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree