1. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 14:09
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Yes I saw you said you knew loads of people don't believe in the Trinity.
    You didn't say you knew lots of Christians that didn't believe in Trinity.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nontrinitarianism
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 14:12
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nontrinitarianism
    But what is God like in your experience? This is more stuff "about" God.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 17:04
    Yes I saw you said you knew loads of people don't believe in the Trinity.
    You didn't say you knew lots of Christians that didn't believe in Trinity.
    What are you on about...was Herod a Christian then?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 19:38
    Originally posted by sonship
    Its actually 'stuff', about those who reject the trinity.😲
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 22:41
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What are you on about...was Herod a Christian then?
    Read the book of Acts.
  6. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 01:291 edit
    Read the book of Acts.
    What is your Scriptural reference in Acts, and from what Bible?

What is the origin of the Trinity doctrine?

The New Encyclopædia Britannica says: “Neither the word "Trinity, nor the explicit doctrine as such", appears in the "New Testament", nor did Jesus and his followers intend to contradict the Shema in the Old Testament: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord’ (Deut. 6:4). . . . The doctrine developed gradually over several centuries and through many controversies. . . . By the end of the 4th century . . . the doctrine of the Trinity took substantially the form it has maintained ever since.”—(1976), Micropædia, Vol. X, p. 126.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia states: “The formulation ‘one God in three Persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the "4th century". But it is precisely this formulation that has first claim to the title the Trinitarian dogma. Among the "Apostolic Fathers", there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective.”—(1967), Vol. XIV, p. 299.

In The Encyclopedia Americana we read: “Christianity derived from Judaism and Judaism was "strictly Unitarian" [believing that God is one person]. The road which led from Jerusalem to Nicea was scarcely a straight one. "Fourth century Trinitarianism did not reflect accurately early Christian teaching" regarding the nature of God; it was, on the contrary, a deviation from this teaching.”—(1956), Vol. XXVII, p. 294L.

According to the Nouveau Dictionnaire Universel, “The Platonic trinity, itself merely a rearrangement of older trinities dating back to earlier peoples, appears to be the rational philosophic trinity of attributes that gave birth to the three hypostases or divine persons taught by the Christian churches. . . . This Greek philosopher’s [Plato, fourth century B.C.E.] conception of the divine trinity . . . can be found in all the ancient [pagan] religions.”—(Paris, 1865-1870), edited by M. Lachâtre, Vol. 2, p. 1467.

John L. McKenzie, S.J., in his Dictionary of the Bible, says: “The trinity of persons within the unity of nature is defined in terms of ‘person’ and ‘nature’ which are G[ree]k philosophical terms; actually the terms do not appear in the Bible. The trinitarian definitions arose as the result of long controversies in which these terms and others such as ‘essence’ and ‘substance’ were erroneously applied to God by some theologians.”—(New York, 1965), p. 899.

So, according to accepted sources, the trinity was not part of the Christian faith or understanding at the time of Christ. It was a later addition that was borrowed from pagan religions.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 02:40
    Originally posted by roigam

The New Encyclopædia Britannica says: “Neither the word "Trinity, nor the explicit doctrine as such", appears in the "New Testament", nor did Jesus and his followers intend to contradict the Shema in the Old Testament: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord ou ...[text shortened]... rstanding at the time of Christ. It was a later addition that was borrowed from pagan religions.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity
  8. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 03:38
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity
    Is wikipedia an accepted source of accurate historical information. The data on that site is not substantiated.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 04:131 edit
    Its actually 'stuff', about those who reject the trinity.😲

You're not going to address my question, are you?
    Do you know why you don't want to talk about your experience of God in subjective terms?

Maybe it is because all you have ever had as a result of being in the Jehovah's Witnesses is objective knowledge only.

IE. Knowledge about politics of church councils, backround on Easter, Christmas and crosses, kingdom information, 144,000 information, Mother and Child portraits, three headed statues, door to door evangelism techniques, standard replies, hatred of denominations, etc. etc.

When I ask about the experience of God subjectively you seem not to want to go there.

But I could write you a lot about what God has been like in my subjective and personal spiritual journey. I thought if fair enough to trade notes and even in public. These are personal and precious matters.

But you don't want to talk about this. Maybe you don't even believe one can have fellowship with God outside of being a citizen in this future kingdom on earth.

This is sad.
  10. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 05:30

The New Encyclopædia Britannica says: “Neither the word "Trinity, nor the explicit doctrine as such", appears in the "New Testament", nor did Jesus and his followers intend to contradict the Shema in the Old Testament: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord ou ...[text shortened]... rstanding at the time of Christ. It was a later addition that was borrowed from pagan religions.
    Acts 12:23 Immediately, because Herod did not give praise to God, an angel of the Lord struck him down, and he was eaten by worms and died.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 08:20
    Is wikipedia an accepted source of accurate historical information. The data on that site is not substantiated.
    Then it is up to you to substantiated those items. 😏
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 08:332 edits
    Then it is up to you to substantiated those items. 😏
    why would anyone need to substantiate items from references that you post Jonah Hindu? Its up to you to substantiate them! Have you been taking lessons from the fairy cake queen again?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 08:53
    why would anyone need to substantiate items from references that you post Jonah Hindu? Its up to you to substantiate them! Have you been taking lessons from the fairy cake queen again?
    That is just the way I work when I get sleepy and ready for bed. Goodnight from Georgia, USA. 😏
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 09:04
    That is just the way I work when I get sleepy and ready for bed. Goodnight from Georgia, USA. 😏
    Georgia? there is a Glasgow In Georgia I believe!
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 09:341 edit
    Read the book of Acts.
    You said: Herod died a horrid death because he said the trinity did not exist

I said: I know lots of people who say the the trinity doesn't exist and haven't died at all, let along the "Herod" death

You said: you new some celebrity said something or other

I said: what are you on about?

You said: something about me not saying if my people were Christians or non Christians

I said: Herod wasn't a Christian...so what's your point.

You said: read the book of acts.

Nice long complicated dodge!

So, my point again. I know lots of non Christians and lots of Christians, both groups have said the trinity doesn't exist and did not die the "Herod death" you refer to. Furthermore Herod never once said as you claim "the trinity doesn't exist". This is because it doesn't. It is a human construct with pagan roots.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree