1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    10 Jun '05 20:51
    I want to offer this story of a lady I worked with as a response to the threads that have evoked such polarizing viewpoiints around the nature of Scripture, truth, etc.

In my ministry I visited an elderly lady who was a very dedicated Christian. Even a Sunday School teacher. When she first met me, she wanted to be sure I believed the Bible was the inerrant word of God. This questioning occured shortly after I crossed the threshold of her front door. I will try to reconstruct this as close to verbatim as I can. I don't like long posts, but I hope this will be worth it.

Lady: "I certainly hope you believe in the Bible being the inerrant word of God."
    Me: Which part?
    L: Well (flabbergasted) ...the whole thing of course.
    M: Is there a particular story or part of the Bible that you could share with me that you would like for me to confirm is inerrant?
    L: The whole thing.
    M: Well, just give me one story and maybe we can talk about it.
    L: Noah!
    M: Tell me about Noah.
    L: YOu know the story. The flood and all.
    M: Tell me what you remember about the story.
    L: The world was evil and God was going to destroy it with the flood, Noah built an ark, gathered animals two by two and he and his family were saved.
    M: Then what happened?
    L: Well it rained for 40 days and 40 nights. Finally the rains stopped.
    M: And then?
    L: God sent a bird with a twig as a sign that it was over. Gave the sing of a rainbow.
    M: Then what happened?
    L: What do you mean? That's it.
    M: No there's more to the story.
    L: LIke what?
    M:That part where Noah gets drunk, exposes himself and curses his family.
    L:That's not in there!
    M:It's in mine.
    L:Where?! (I show her).
    M:Why do you think that happened at the end of that story?

Allow me to digress at this point. This lady had a very painful relationship with several of her children who were mentally ill. One she had not seen in 15 years though she only lived 2 blocks away. Over the cours of months we talked extensively about the emotional pain of being a "survivor" (like Noah) and the daily struggle of living with emotional pain. Despite this lady's initial resistence to me I give her credit for feeling the depths of her fears and sadness. She eventually reconciled with her daughter prior to her death.

A few months prior to her death, we had a flood that left her neighborhood under water. She lost her heat,, water heater and other utilities in the home. When I came back to see her (after the rainbow) I asked her if she felt like Noah. She said, "I sure did, but I didn't get drunk and expose myself, even though I felt like it!" We both laughed over this.

Here is my point to this story. The Bible is a wonderful book. However, we really don't know how wonderful it is until we can make some type of emotional connection or identification to it. This lady knew all the right words, all the right passages, all the right thinking, however, she was not "getting it." Contrast the "before and after" of this woman who met me with defiance, resistence and fear to the woman who could laugh in the face of death.

Do you see what I'm getting at?
  2. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    10 Jun '05 21:07
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I want to offer this story of a lady I worked with as a response to the threads that have evoked such polarizing viewpoiints around the nature of Scripture, truth, etc.

In my ministry I visited an elderly lady who was a very dedicated Christian. Even a Sunday School teacher. When she first met me, she wanted to be sure I believed the Bible was the ...[text shortened]... and fear to the woman who could laugh in the face of death.

I'm seeing that this has nothing to do with inerrancy. Otherwise it's a nice story.
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    10 Jun '05 21:25
    Originally posted by Coletti
    I'm seeing that this has nothing to do with inerrancy. Otherwise it's a nice story.
    Precisely the point! God doesn't need inerrancy!
  4. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    10 Jun '05 21:39
    Precisely the point! God doesn't need inerrancy!
    It's not what God needs - God needs nothing - it's what we should know about God. Your story does not demonstrate that the issue is any less important to our understanding God.
  5. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    10 Jun '05 21:51

In my ministry I visited an elderly lady who was a very dedicated Christian. Even a Sunday School teacher. When she first met me, she wanted to be sure I believed the Bible was the ...[text shortened]... and fear to the woman who could laugh in the face of death.

A very touching story.... good work.
  6. Moving on...
    Moves
    10 Jun '05 21:59

Agree...a heartwarming story 🙂
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Jun '05 22:40

Uhh....Noah was an exhibitionist?
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    10 Jun '05 23:01
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Uhh....Noah was an exhibitionist?
    whadda ya xpect from a drunken sailor?
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Jun '05 00:47
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    whadda ya xpect from a drunken sailor?
    We may make a Christian yet out of ole Shavixsmer.
  10. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    11 Jun '05 02:36
    We may make a Christian yet out of ole Shavixsmer.
    better chance to make him a drunken sailor ,, lol
  11. England
    Moves
    11 Jun '05 11:29
    is your point the same as jesus said to the pharasees and later saying they will cast out demons in my name but i do not know them. the words are for our benifit to read but if you do not know god in you heart, that is were he wrote his love for us.
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Jun '05 13:06
    Originally posted by stoker
    is your point the same as jesus said to the pharasees and later saying they will cast out demons in my name but i do not know them. the words are for our benifit to read but if you do not know god in you heart, that is were he wrote his love for us.
    I did not write that with that particular verse on my mind, but I'm all for anything to get people to look a little deeper.
  13. Standard memberAynat
    Dog Companion
    Rain Forest
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 03:031 edit
    I like all those flawed, sinful people in the stories because I am a flawed, sinful person. Noah heard the voice of God! And, managed to be obedient when the plan was outrageous!

Build an ark, gather 2 of each living thing, wait for the rain, find a way to live with those friends, neighbors, distant relatives that drowned, wait for the rain to stop, wait for the sea to recede, and take care of all those animals in the meantime and then go forth repopulate and renew the earth! And what about his wife and his kids and their families who went along with this? You want to explain that one to your spouse?

I don't care if Noah was or wasn't a factual, actual person. The "truths" I get from this story are to listen, to believe, to be brave. be patient. there is hope, there is a lot of suffering in life, somewhere someone is hearing the voice of God, there will be a rainbow and in spite of my occasional feelings to the contrary.....I am not alone, God is here and so are God's people who just happen to be as awful and wonderful as me.
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 03:261 edit
    Originally posted by Aynat
    I like all those flawed, sinful people in the stories because I am a flawed, sinful person. Noah heard the voice of God! And, managed to be obedient when the plan was outrageous!

Build an ark, gather 2 of each living thing, wait for the r ...[text shortened]... God's people who just happen to be as awful and wonderful as me.
    . . . and maybe incest is ok if you have to get the pyramids built in 7 years and need to repopulate 3 empires in less time? 🙄
  15. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 11:07

It would be interresting to know what she told you about JESUS CHRIST? It also be interresting to know why, that even in all of her trials and tribulations why her faith was so strong.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree