A woman's place

A woman's place

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Jan 16

Originally posted by sonship
[b] 'For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’ and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.' (Mat 15:4).

The NT does contain some some troubling commands. The above is just one example.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at the discus ...[text shortened]... utions. Rather He Himself became the unique EXECUTED One on His cross on behalf of all sinners.[/b]
It does prove you cherry pick what you want in the bible. You love the 'let there be light' deal but reject 'anyone who curses his mother or father is to be put to death'.

It is cherry picking pure and simple.

Why can't you just admit that and move on from there?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 16
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
It does prove you cherry pick what you want in the bible. You love the 'let there be light' deal but reject 'anyone who curses his mother or father is to be put to death'.

Pro Life or not ?
If not, why aren't you ?

Come on blabber mouth. Tell us all about your double standard.

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
06 Jan 16

[b] 'For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’ and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.' (Mat 15:4).

The NT does contain some troubling commands. The above is just one example.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at the discussion ...[text shortened]... utions. Rather He Himself became the unique EXECUTED One on His cross on behalf of all sinners.[/b]
I do accept the need to read passages in context.

Why though was it necessary for an all knowing deity to enact a new covenant? Why did the Law of Moses require a more penetrating truth that softens it original bite?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Jan 16
1 edit

Pro Life or not ?
If not, why aren't you ?

Come on blabber mouth. Tell us all about your double standard.
Why are you trying to deflect the issue from cherry picking to prolife issues? I assume you want me to say I am pro abortion so you can then go into a tirade about that issue but why can't you admit you cherry pick those verses you like and reject the others?

I am for giving women their choice on the matter of abortion. A woman should have the right to control her own body. NOBODY should have the power to force a woman to have a child she didn't want. Is that what you want? For instance, there are countries that FORCE a woman to have the child of rape. You think that is fair? For instance also, there are cases where the rapist comes back and attempts to take the child away after the kid has bonded to the mom. Is that ok? To further traumatize a woman after a rape has occurred?

Then there is the issue of those women who the religious right come to, convince her to have the child against her wishes, then she has the child and that religious right bunch drops her like a hot potato and just goes on the the next conquest.

I say conquest because that is what it is. They have no right to interfere with a woman's choice.
Do you think there are not enough humans on the planet?

I think there are about 6 billion too many. So once again, no word from your deity about that issue either, so if we choke on our own poop, too bad. No pithy words from your deity about that issue either.

How many would be too many for you? 8 billion? 10? 20 billion? 100 billion?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 16
2 edits

I told you what my concerns would be IF I were a woman in that situation. And I told you I certainly would handle the matter in prayer.

Nothing contradictory there.
Nothing taking away a right of a woman to choose there either.
Rather I suggest that I would certainly turn to God to aid me in making a monentous and tough choice IF a choice should be the issue.

You're the one ranting about the number of deaths of people in the 20th century.
Not a peep I heard about the millions of slain infants in the womb.

Now your stupid view of doing what the Bible says ...
No, I do not randomly stick my finger anywhere in the Bible and "DO what it says."

Its not "cherry picking". Its abiding in the Lord.
As the most important command of the New Testament tells us -

"Abide in Me and I in you, As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.

I am the vine, you are the branches ... "

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 16
1 edit

He's alive and available to live in communion with - Jesus God's Son, the living Word.

The Son of God is living, available and enterable.
The Son of God is resurrected and in a form in which we can abide in Him, in the realm of His presence and live in union with Him.

No, we do not as some dumb fool just stick our finger down and "DO WHAT THE BOOK SAID" without spiritual wisdom from abiding in the living God.

God demonstrated His hatred for sin in the Old Testament.
Upon this background it is all the more meaningful that His judgment fell upon a Substitute Who gave Himself in our place that we might be Justified.

Every time you point to the Divine hatred for sinning in Leviticus or Joshua I am reminded of what it meant for the Son of God to carry up our sins to His cross that He would be judged by God in our place - that we might be saved.

So go now to your next terrible verse.
And I will again remind you that Christ died and rose for the sinners' justification and reconciliation to a Righteous God.

How great was His love.

Your atheistic belief offers me nothing but the sore, bothersome, unhappy, pissed off and deludingly self righteous disdain that is rotting your time away.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 16
1 edit

Why are you trying to deflect the issue from cherry picking to prolife issues? I assume you want me to say I am pro abortion so you can then go into a tirade about that issue but why can't you admit you cherry pick those verses you like and reject the others?

I am for giving women their choice on the matter of abortion. A woman should have the right to ...[text shortened]... at issue either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not worried.

You're worried because YOUR technology and YOUR evolution religion can't do anything about it. So you're worried about it.

I'm concerned. But I know where history is going - Revelation 21 and 22.
That is the kingdom of God.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
06 Jan 16

It seems rjhinds and sonship are in support of the youtube in the op.

Sad...just sad.

There are just so many different , valid lives out there.

For example I'm a single parent and my life is at home. And after much deliberation I've found that me and my son are fine the way we are, without me seeking a new woman.

screw the bible

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 16
3 edits

Originally posted by karoly aczel
It seems rjhinds and sonship are in support of the youtube in the op.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never watched the op. I spoke to the verses from Paul's epistles with no need to see any sensational "guilt-by-association video."

Sad...just sad.
There are just so many different , valid lives out there.

For example I'm a single parent and my life is at home. And after much deliberation I've found that me and my son are fine the way we are, without me seeking a new woman.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is why I value the Lord Jesus. He saw ALL lives out there as valid enough to die for.

I'm not sure what your comment means, unless it is tied to that unwatched video.
As it seems to suggest I am naive about the complexities of many modern mothers' lives.

Just in case you didn't know it, "Ask your husbands" in the Corinthian letter does not assume there were no other domestic situations. Paul also had words for younger and older widows.

He and the NT had words for the church concerning the poor of the assembly.
James had words for the church concerning orphans.

So the sad part is you assuming the writers of the New Testament just fell off some turnip truck somewhere with no awareness of life's misfortunes or complexities.

screw the bible
------------------------------

Nope. Sorry. You're language from the gutter doesn't make your case stronger.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 16
3 edits

Okay,

This place of women thread has gone down this road long enough.
The historic fact of the matter is that the Christian church spread far and wide in ancient times because WOMEN perceived that they certainly were getting a better deal under the teachings of Jesus.

That's right. The Christian church grew rapidly because WOMEN heard it and ascertained that it afforded them more honor, more fairness, greater dignity.

The purpose of the lampooning thread has backfired.

Certainly, the New Testament Gospels, written toward the last quarter of the first century CE, acknowledge that women were among Jesus' earliest followers. From the beginning, Jewish women disciples, including Mary Magdalene, Joanna, and Susanna, had accompanied Jesus during his ministry and supported him out of their private means (Luke 8:1-3). He spoke to women both in public and private, and indeed he learned from them. According to one story, an unnamed Gentile woman taught Jesus that the ministry of God is not limited to particular groups and persons, but belongs to all who have faith (Mark 7:24-30; Matthew 15:21-28). A Jewish woman honored him with the extraordinary hospitality of washing his feet with perfume. Jesus was a frequent visitor at the home of Mary and Martha, and was in the habit of teaching and eating meals with women as well as men. When Jesus was arrested, women remained firm, even when his male disciples are said to have fled, and they accompanied him to the foot of the cross. It was women who were reported as the first witnesses to the resurrection, chief among them again Mary Magdalene. Although the details of these gospel stories may be questioned, in general they reflect the prominent historical roles women played in Jesus' ministry as disciples.

Women In Ancient Christianity:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/first/women.html

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 16
1 edit

Ancient women were attracted to the Christian Gospels which facilitated its spread.
Women of old perceived that the Gospel of Jesus afforded them greater dignity and honor that many pagan religions.

The letters of Paul - dated to the middle of the first century CE - and his casual greetings to acquaintances offer fascinating and solid information about many Jewish and Gentile women who were prominent in the movement. His letters provide vivid clues about the kind of activities in which women engaged more generally. He greets Prisca, Junia, Julia, and Nereus' sister, who worked and traveled as missionaries in pairs with their husbands or brothers (Romans 16:3, 7, 15). He tells us that Prisca and her husband risked their lives to save his. He praises Junia as a prominent apostle, who had been imprisoned for her labor. Mary and Persis are commended for their hard work (Romans 16:6, 12). Euodia and Syntyche are called his fellow-workers in the gospel (Philippians 4:2-3). Here is clear evidence of women apostles active in the earliest work of spreading the Christian message.

Paul's letters also offer some important glimpses into the inner workings of ancient Christian churches. These groups did not own church buildings but met in homes, no doubt due in part to the fact that Christianity was not legal in the Roman world of its day and in part because of the enormous expense to such fledgling societies. Such homes were a domain in which women played key roles. It is not surprising then to see women taking leadership roles in house churches. Paul tells of women who were the leaders of such house churches (Apphia in Philemon 2; Prisca in I Corinthians 16:19). This practice is confirmed by other texts that also mention women who headed churches in their homes, such as Lydia of Thyatira (Acts 16:15) and Nympha of Laodicea (Colossians 4:15). Women held offices and played significant roles in group worship. Paul, for example, greets a deacon named Phoebe (Romans 16:1) and assumes that women are praying and prophesying during worship (I Corinthians 11).

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/first/women.html

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 16
1 edit

Even Bart Erhman , no friend of evangelicals, admits prominence of some women in the NT. Erhman is the skeptics' darling critic of hostile New Testament textural criticism

From Wiki

Junia is also mentioned. According to Bart Ehrman, Paul praises Junia as a prominent apostle[13] who had been imprisoned for her labor. Junia is “the only female apostle named in the New Testament”.[14] Ian Elmer states that Junia and Andronicus are the only "apostles" associated with Rome that were greeted by Paul in his letter to the Romans.[15] [Rom 16:7] Steven Finlan says Paul greets this couple as "kinspersons and fellow prisoners" and says that "they are outstanding amongst the apostles."[16] According to Ian Elmer, the fact that Andronicus and Junia are named as apostles suggests a priori that they were evangelists and church-planters like Paul.[15] Some translators have rendered the name as the masculine "Junias", but Chrysostom seems clear, "Indeed, how great the wisdom of this woman must have been that she was even deemed worthy of the title apostle.” [5]

Chloe, was a prominent woman of Corinth. It was from "Chloe's people" that Paul, then at Ephesus learned of the divisions in the congregation of Corinth.

In Philippians he expresses appreciation for Euodia and Syntyche his fellow-workers in the gospel.[8]

my bolding

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Jan 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
I do accept the need to read passages in context.

Why though was it necessary for an all knowing deity to enact a new covenant? Why did the Law of Moses require a more penetrating truth that softens it original bite?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever read the first four or so chapters of the book of Romans ?

Have you ever sat under a bright lamp and a comfortable chair and read through the book of Hebrews ?

To prove the NEED for the Savior, God had to demonstrate to US what He knew all along. We have all sinned and are incapable of fulfilling the Law.

We need a transfer of life.
We need another life to blend in with our created one.
We need another and new birth.

Just look at the 10th Commandment - You shall not covet.
Like an X-Ray it EXPOSES how deep our sinful nature is.
The Great Physician must enlighten us to how deep the illness is and how radical the healing that must take place.

"Radical" here means to go to the ROOT of something.
In John chapter three Jesus directed a very good man (in man's eyes) to God going to the ROOT to radically address fallen human beings' sickness.

" Do not marvel that I said to you, You must be born anew." (John 3:7)

The new covenant is God pointing out the need that the sinner must in a real sense fo back to the beginning and start all over again. We need a spiritual BIRTH, a SECOND BIRTH in the kernel of our being.

"Jesus answered and said to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, Unless one is born anew, he cannot see the kingdom of God." (v.3)

www.regenerated.net

Fallen man does not need to turn over a new leaf. He needs to be grafted into a perfect tree to absorb the life of that perfect tree, uniting with God.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Jan 16

The point is that anyone that curses his mother or father deserves death. 😏

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
07 Jan 16

Originally posted by RJHinds
The point is that anyone that curses his mother or father deserves death. 😏
It is unfortunate your crass reply follows Sonship's well crafted response.